Optoma Pico Pocket Projector

wait … what?

how will this keep the ink from staining my shirt?

think about that though. 20k hours is a lot more then you realize. even if you used it 8 hours a day, every single day, thats 6.8 YEARS of bulb time.

even at running it 24 hours a day, thats a little over 2 years.

assuming the previous owner wasnt running a 24/7 theater with it, you’ll have far more then enough bulb time. You’re more likely to burn out the life cycles on the battery and/or loose the AC adapter, or even just lose the device before the bulbs go.

Hmm, you could probably do drive-by rick-rollings with this portable projector.

You’ll get tired of it long before the LED dies

In doll house city maybe

The product came out what, 2 years ago? It lasts about an hour on a full charge at max brightness. Anyone worried about remaining bulb life due to refurb status was NOT a math major.

youtube user review in the dark with iphone

review with Jon Grode

some day my phone will also be my pocket projector… until then, this is pretty sweet!

Don’t they exist already? Yup, they do!

I looked at several reviews by people who do not understand how to review a video projector and found one that stands out pretty well.

Also found out the light output is 11 lumens. The brightness looks adequate at full size but if this is less than VGA no sale.

PCmag says
“…Optoma’s projector is built around a TI engine that marries a 480-by-320 resolution DLP chip…There are only controlls: a focus wheel, a slide switch (power off, low brightness, and high brightness)…According to Optoma, the batteries will last 2 hours on a full charge in low-brightness mode or 1 hour at high brightness. Recharging takes 2 hours if you are only charging, or up to 4 hours if you are using the projector at the same time. Unfortunately, the only way to recharge a battery is by putting it in the projector, which you plug into a power source, so you can’t charge one battery while using the other…The PK101’s rated brightness is only 11 lumens, which sounds like nothing compared with, say, a home entertainment projector in the 1,000-lumen range, but 11 lumens is a lot brighter than you might expect…”

I think this would be cool to watch movies off my Galaxy S phone :slight_smile: I’m thinking about it

bulb should last about 2 years then its a $100.00 brick, id save my money for a monitor or something useful.

ipad compatible? can i show with safari? how about powerpoint via Docs to go?

anyone a bit suspicious about the only 30 day warranty on the bulb??? considering they have only 90 on the set-up it makes me wonder if this is the reason for the refurb…

Well, leaving aside the obvious reasons (mistook it for a pocket proTector, didn’t read the specs, wanted a cool paperweight, were so drunk/high you thought this was a woot-off killer and were taking one for the team), there’s always the real obscure possibility that you might buy it to connect to a notebook computer, PC, PDA, cell phone, or other device that does have a composite output. That’s why I’m buying one, anyway…

So you assume 100% duty cycle, and also assume a monitor will fit in your pocket?

Well, your assumptions at least show a consistent level of reasonableness.

My search found it’s half VGA (480x320), which seems more like the samples I’ve seen. The LED life is rated at continual use, in reality you won’t be abusing it continually. Should outlast your interest in such low resolution. How hard could it be to replace an LED anyway?

You can make a sweet 3d scanner using this projector too

http://blog.makerbot.com/2010/09/14/new-makerbot-cyclops-3d-scanner/

It is a DLP. It must have a special RED/GREEN/BLUE LED and not a spinning filter wheel.The part probably isn’t available.

Is that a projector in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Seriously though, is this a decent projector? How does this one compare with the World’s Crappiest Projector they wooted a while back?

Sure you can use an iPad with it as long as you have the composite out adapter. You can’t output Safari because that app doesn’t have a video out function. However, many apps do supports video out via the dock connector (Photos, non-copy protected movies, GoodReader, etc).