Oregon Scientific ATC Chameleon Dual-Lens Action Cam

I’d have to say, the quality looks better than the GoPro-knockoffs they usually pedal on here. I didn’t notice much if any vibration warble on the video.

Not sure what I’d use the dual direction for, but hmmm… [finger on the “I want one” button]

Exactly, my first thought.

I was surprised at the weight - 28g, nearly 3X the weight of a Mobius. Sure, it has two lenses, but for high quality aerial (drone) imagery, I can’t afford the extra weight. Sigh. Really wanted to try one out. No click for me.

Wow. Really helpful video, and I got to say that for just forty bucks, this is a fairly capable toy! Hovers over ‘I want one’

Seems like this would work well for bike commuters covering themselves on the road. I’ve always wanted to get a POV to document my ride, but felt like I was missing a lot by not including a rear view of passing traffic.

Doesn’t seem like it grabs license plates, but an accurate car description can go pretty far in case of a hit-and-run.

Any bike commuters with experience?

Cons:
Can’t use just 1 camera - have to record with both

Poor low-light quality recordings

From the Cnet review:

“Unfortunately, there are no editing features, so you can’t export with picture-in-picture or have only the video from a single camera.”

What a ridiculous limitation! I’m passing for this reason alone.

I ordered one to play with for scouting vertical mine shafts. One camera pointed down and one to the side (or at the display of a air monitor) could be pretty handy. We’ll see how it goes in real life.

i wasn’t sure how it charged

Not sure I understand…the video on the order screen clearly shows pic-in-pic as well as moving the small picture to different quadrants :confused:

@scantar, I believe the point is, using their downloadable software, you can watch one of the frames or relocate a frame in the other (PIP). However, there does not appear to be a way to export those different views.

So I agree with @solifos, kinda useless to only be able to view it that way. Your original footage stays side-by-side two frames married together.

A shame. I’ll come back when you have the option to shoot with one camera and/or divorce the two camera footage into separate files without messing with expensive 3rd party software.

I’d pull the trigger for $40 if it came with a handlebar mount. ($30 extra? No, thanks.) But, the only included accessory is the vented helmet mount (which is totally useless to me).

If you’re willing to break the case, I bet you could line up the cameras and shoot 3D video. Grab a Google Cardboard clone and you’re set.

Yeah, isn’t that a complete pain in the backside. I got 30 miles from North Bend one night and had to spend the night in my truck and wait for the gas station to open. Left Eugene, after most stations were closed, with what I thought was enough gas but it wasn’t quite enough.

It’s to create a disability among the populace. The only other place you could move to is New Jersey.

the other review seems to contradict that with desktop software:

Editing

There’s no iOS or Android app for the Chameleon. A desktop app for Mac and PC, though, offers some interesting editing options. You can choose to view the two videos side by side, just the front or the back, or have one video inset in the other.

In for 1. Doing Bridge Day rappel this year and this will be a great way to capture a few other angles in addition to the Swann Freestyle.

I picked on up here and can’t get the mounts I want! Thank Woot!

Don’t buy, you can’t get all of the mounts from Oregon Scientific.

@DynBlin, key word: “view.” It is pretty much useless to be able to “view” but not export/save the resulting “view”.