Oregon Scientific Genoa Motion Activated Atomic Wall Clock

Man, am I glad I read this post! I was about to buy.

walmart pic shows a power adapter, maybe you don’t need 7 batteries if you plug it in.

Hmmm, I wasn’t able to find this thing on Amazon.com. Can you provide a link?

I bought one, thinking that the atomic clock isn’t critical if I can set it manually. I just thought it would be nice to light the way when my wife gets up at night… I sure wish woot.com would actually answer this question since it seems to be limiting the number of people that want to buy it…

From the clock’s manual
“RF Clock Frequency System DCF77 (EU) or MSF60 (UK)”

From the Wikipedia article about WWV, a US based radio time broadcaster, there is a footnote about other radio time signal stations

“Time signal stations
Longwave DCF77 · HBG · JJY · MSF · TDF · WWVB
Shortwave BPM · CHU · RWM · WWV · WWVH · YVTO
GNSS time transfer Beidou · Galileo · GLONASS · GPS · IRNSS”

This implies that this clock does not receive the US based time code, as the receiver is an entirely different (Longwave as opposed to shortwave) frequency.

Click on the picture on the main page it shows the detector

if this clock only syncs to europe time,
then i wonder if the date display is also
euro-style (DD/MM) vs US (MM/DD)?

I’m with most of you guys, I think to use it in USA, you’ll have to manually set it.

This clock does function in the US, it will sync with the atomic clock in Colorado.

According to the Oregon Scientific’s customer service (1-800-853-8883), it can take between 20 minutes and 24 hours for the unit to receive the first signal from the U.S. Atomic clock. Also, they recommend that you make sure that the signal in the middle of the clock is showing the “strong” signal, which is the backwards “C” with three pulsing bars. If it is not showing that, it may never connect to the Atomic clock. They recommend that the clock be moved away from other radio signal devices, TV, radio, etc. Close to an outside window with a view of the sky is the best place.

Thanks for calling them. Can you update the product description to clarify that it works on the US atmic clock, too? I think you will sell more if you do… based on how few items have sold through previous days on sellout.woot, I don’t think the average Yahoo Shopping patron understands how to decipher woot’s creative descriptions…

I’m totally in for 3. Have an older relative with little use of her hands-- constantly resetting her regular clocks is an ordeal. Bonus is the room temp. “see, grandma, I told you it was way too cold in here.”

It doesn’t help that the sellout.woot area is ‘below the fold’… you have to scroll to get to it! I was expecting some more ‘pop,’ but the woot module just looks like some other ad or something, hanging out at the bottom… If Yahoo! expects to make some money off of this deal, they better hype it better.

Actually atomic clocks normally syncronize using WWVB. WWV (and WWVH) have a voice channel in addition to a data stream making it a less than ideal source for atomic clocks.

Genius! I can use this to find out when it’s time to eat some hot wings!

This is sold as a “low-vision” clock for people who can’t see well, hence the large size numerals…
I think the flaw is “7 AA batteries”. I think the first set is included, but…

4 batteries for the clock - 3 batteries for the remote sensor.

Thank you. Can back before the next item to purchase. No need now.

Again Thank you.

I would love to buy one but only if it has a AC adapter. I am not going to pay to constantly put in 7 batteries. I know it is only minutes from a new woot. Does anyone know if this has an AC adapter with it?

Motion Activated so I am guessing no. But not 100% sure.

Hmmm… Dallas Texas to Lawrence Kansas

September 25, 2007 1:34 PM Sortation Center Departure LOS ANGELES, CA
September 22, 2007 1:55 AM Sortation Center Arrival NEW BERLIN, WI
September 21, 2007 7:00 AM Sortation Center Departure DALLAS, TX
September 19, 2007 6:31 PM Sortation Center Arrival DALLAS, TX
September 19, 2007 6:28 PM Pickup CARROLLTON, TX

“Smartpost” Indeed

My clock arrived today. This is the kewlest thing ever. My only complaint is that the backlight isn’t orange as advertised, it is closer to the pail-green like most LCD clocks.

So, to answer the questions - it DOES synch to the boulder atomic clock, and the motion sensor came with an A/C adapter. The clock can only run on batteries.

I wish I’d bought more than one of these!