Oriel Hugo Russian River Valley Zinfandel - 3 Pack

Heres a review from one site -

“Rich black cherry, lush wild berry and brambles on the nose. The palate displays a bursts of black cherry followed by a touch of nutmeg and a sweet, candied finish.”

$27.00 ea.

Should we assume no more black tie buys on wednesdays? The fancy monkey will be very sad…

Candied finish? My guess on this taste description, along with the lack of RS and acid data is that this must be a hugely ripe ripe ripe kind off zinbomb. If you like, then go for it!

So by the time we get these, we won’t be able to drink them :wink:

I want to pull the trigger, but…waiting

LOVE Dutton Goldfield Pinot’s

So what ever happened to jwhite’s “is this a good deal” links?

It’s woot, assume nothing!

pH-3.41, TA-0.779 gm/100ml, ETOH-14.48, residual sugar-DRY, Brix at harvest - 24.7

That’s the product description - it’s on the Woot item page.

…and I must admit I have no idea what brambles smell like. They do hurt when they get into your nose, though.

Thank you. I gather by your handle that you are Dan Goldfield - correct?

It’s a pleasure and a privilege to have you here at Woot.

This is clearly not the same wine as the Russian River zin that was offered by Dutton Goldfield (e.g. TA is much higher). What is its history?

Whoa, nice acidity! Sounds mouth-wateringly delicious.

Agreed: entirely unlike the description we saw. Any tasting notes from the winery?

Does anyone know how long it takes before orders on wine.woot get shipped after ordering? I know it can take like 10 days for the order to process on regular woot. Wondering where I should have this shipped… Thanks in advance.

In for one. It sounds good, and if not, I can always gift them to a friend.

According to this review, the 2005 Hugo was “tasting a little tired” this time last year.

This is indeed a concern. The winery window saying to drink thru 2010 and the comment/review above. Not sure of typically the aging window on a Russian River Zin (2005 vintage).
Can Dan speak to this?

Sounds like it might be worth a chance for $8 each, not so much for $15 each with shipping.

As a new “wooter” can someone explain what these numbers mean? And, what are the numbers we should look for? And…what will the numbers we should look for tell us? Thank you.

A lot of factors influence this. We do know - 2005 - good rain before harvest - strong tannins. But is any/moderate/a lot from old vines? Of course, palates differ too - Someone who likes his zins fruity is going to complain that a wine is “tired” before someone else who wants the alcohol more up front.

For me, a very general drinking window for fine zin would be 4 - 5 years. I’ve had a couple of Russian River 2005’s in the past month that were fine. I don’t know about this offering, but the Dutton-Goldfield 2005 Russian River zin is highly regarded (I haven’t tried it, but I’ve heard it recommended).

Always a good place to start: Winemaking

lots of charts