OtterBox Armor Waterproof Cases for Apple/Samsung

Do these last longer than the garbage Lifeproof cases? I prefer how Lifeproof cases are super thin, these at 0.82 inches seem very thick. My LP is about half that.

I have very little concern for waterproofing my phone but making it somewhat indestructible would be nice. Can this be modified so that you could hear/be heard better by removing a tiny part of the waterproof membrane ?

No Galaxy S4 case???

Your phone dropped from countertop height in an OtterBox and it broke the screen? That’s hard to believe. I don’t like OtterBox personally, I think they’re too bulky. But for normal everyday drops they tend to work very well.

If I was interested in waterproofing I’d go with LifeProof. Much thinner cases. You can still put one in your pocket using a LifeProof case. Not so much in an OtterBox.

Please. There are people like me still rocking an iPhone 4.

LP cases are much thinner but give you the same waterproofing. I’ve had multiple LP cases before and they customer service was always good about replacements (assuming you bought a genuine LP product, there is apparently a big market for fakes). I had an iPhone 4 LP case for years until I went to the 5. Their initial version of the iPhone 5 case was so badly designed that I quit using LP altogether. I can only assume they’ve fixed those issues by now. I’m in trigged by the nuud case, that doesn’t put a giant pocket of air over the screen, but still haven’t tried it. I just don’t are enough about waterproofing. It’s all about how you use it.

I was all excited and ready to order then - poof - I check out the phone selections. Wow,am I disappointed - nothing for Samsung Galaxy 4. :frowning:

“This price?”. You let me know when you can find an alternative protective case for $25 that works this well.

I have the defender on mine right now…trying to justify the cost in my mind for the upgrade.

Does OtterBox now replace the phone itself if there’s damage while in their cases? While a warranty on the case itself is nice, LifeProof replaces the phone if there’s damage to it while in their cases, lat time I checked OtterBox didn’t offer that…have they changed?

We’ve used Otterbox defender cases since we purchased our first iPhones forever ago. I bike. A lot. I strapped the belt clip on my handle bars for an easy way to use my phone as a dashboard. 3 times I have hit bumps at 20mph that caused the phone to pop out of the clip, hit the pavement, and then be run over by the bike. While the case has some bumps and bruises, my phone is still like new when I take it out the case.
I now have a kayak and have been looking for a reasonably priced waterproof option. Thanks woot! Just hook a carabiner to the wrist strap so if it falls out of the boat I can retrieve it!

Would this be a case that would be reasonably easy to take your phone out of and use w/o the case (or to put into a thinner case) for normal use?

I’ve got an OtterBox Defender that I’m okay with, but would like to have the waterproof capabilities for when I’m hunting/boating/fishing/etc. Is it as simple as popping it out of the case and putting the other on or is a chore and do I risk losing the protection of the case if I’m putting it in taking it out occasionally?

SCORE!!! My daughter is upgrading and I’m getting her old 4s (that she’s had in an Otterbox Defender from day one). I wanted the Otterbox Armor because of the lanyard, but the official website said out of stock (and priced at $99) THANK YOU, WOOT!!!

I bought one of these shortly after they hit the market…and returned it a day later. It IS solid as a rock and the phone goes in and out easily, but the increase in size and bulk was too much for me. I carry my phone in my front pocket an the Armour case just added too much bulk.
If you work in construction, or in an environment where the phone may be exposed to shock or elements, it may be a great buy, but the Lifeproof case was the better choice for me.

Wish this had been available at this price when Woot sold the Defenders for $8 ($13 shipped).

Both the Defender and this case are too bulky to pocket for everyday use for me. (The only thing that goes on a belt for me in everyday use is belt loops.)

But I want temporary protection for rough activities like camping, mountain biking, boating, lumber-jacking, etc… Would have gladly paid this premium over the Woot Defender price to add Waterproof!

I guess I’ll stick with my plain waterproof Otter Box box for boating but you can’t use the phone other than via Bluetooth that way.

Does the iphone 5 case work with an iphone 5s

Wow…all the way up to SamsungS3- The S5 is coming out soon. Woot is not showing Androis users any love!

As I often work at heights I can attest that this case holds up very well to abuse.

Unfortunately, due to the waterproof membrane, I often have people tell me I sound muffled or very distant. Opening the charging port seems to help people hear sometimes, but other times I have to take the phone out of the case; something I’d rather not do when I’m on top of a ladder.

Hey can any of the Wooters that already Own this case help me out please!

I had the LP waterproof case on my iPhone 5, but ended up taking it off & throwing it away… Yes it was waterproof and protected it from a few light drops onto the floor BUT the darn LP brand cover TOTALLY muffled the sound!!

My family said they could hardly hear me when I called while the iPhone was in the LP cover! (Yes I had iPhone volume up all the way) but the WORST part was how LOW and barely audible all my Ringtones and Alerts became while in the LP case… I missed calls it was so drastically reduced!

Anyhow… Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated by actual owners of this specific Otterbox case! (No offense but opinions and guesses about this from non-owners, I’ve already had a plenty!) :slight_smile: lol Thanks Guys!!

The specs only show iPhone products, but description shows possibility for Galaxy SIII. So which one is it? I don’t want to order thinking I’ll get my Galaxy protected and get an iPhone cover… Thanks!

So I can’t find the article right this moment, but there’s a good explanation for what happened to your phone out there on the interweb. Basically, gorilla glass can usually survive one focused hit against it, suffering only microfractures that are too small for the naked eye to see, so it looks like the phone came off unscathed. Unfortunately, those microfractures pretty much make it so that any concentrated force can essentially spread across the glass and shatter it completely the second time around. Put it another way, people who are allergic to bee stings can survive the first sting without incident because their body hasn’t produced antibodies in response to the sting. The second sting is when the allergy appears because the antibodies are primed and ready, causing the allergic reaction. Which is to say, gorilla glass is allergic to drops and falls.