OtterBox Defender iPhone 5 Case

I, too, have the 4s version. It’s treated me very well – I’ve dropped the thing from at least 5 feet a few times and have had no damage to my phone. As also mentioned, the charging port cover did start to tear away a bit after a year or so, but not very much.

Is there such a thing as an armband ‘holster’ for these cases? Would like to take mine running, but taking in/out of case is a hassle.

I bought the NightSky color Defender case for $50 back when the iPhone 5 first came out, and it was worth it!! I have dropped this thing so many times and there is no damage to my phone at all. Sure, it adds a little more weight and size to the phone, but it’s so worth it. I find the iPhone 5 to be rather tiny compared to some other phones out there, so the bulkiness didn’t bother me.

If you’re thinking about buying one, JUST DO IT. I haven’t had the little plastic tab break off like another user said happened to them. I did have the first holster snap on me when I got it snagged on the edge of a car seat, but I emailed Otterbox and they just sent me a new holster!

Happily in for 2. The one I already have is so frayed around the rubber edge and worn looking, you’d think I had this phone at a construction site every day and not an office. It’s tough, and it’s worth every penny.

Good morning. Just checked in with my good buddies in CS and they have your email. They’ll be responding shortly. If you don’t see a response, be sure to check the evil spam/junk folders.

Bought this OtterBox case in the recent Woot sale for the same great price.

It arrived in less than a week and is really solid. You do need to use a bit of force to peel back the soft edge in order to separate the frame and insert your phone. But the fit is excellent. A bit bulky but you wanted protection, right?

My phone normally goes ‘bare’ (can’t bear covering up the beautiful industrial design/build quality) or has a basic clear silicone case. But I picked this up for roughing it activities, mountain biking, camping, etc…

Could not be more pleased with this no-brainer purchase, especially at this amazing price that normally be $50.

For those that are wondering if it works with a 5s
I can testify that they do! you will loose the fingerprint functionality but hey! great protection at that price?

Does anyone know if this works with the iPhone usb adapter. Both of my otterbox cases don’t and it’s a pain in the butt when I forget my iPhone 5 adapter. I have to remove the entire case.

Price is a new fantastic yes, but not quite cheaper than your thrift store’s $10 price ($7.99 x 2 (max # allowed) = $15.98 + $5.00 shipping = $20.98 / 2 = $10.49 each).

Close though! If they allowed you to get 3 …

Yes, these work just fine with a 5S except for the fingerprint sensor.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that Otterbox redesigned these when iOS 7 was released, because people were having such a hard time bringing up the control center. That is because your finger needs to start swiping up from below the screen and since the plastic on this case comes right up to the bottom edge of the screen, it makes it a little difficult. You still can do it, mind you, it is just simply more difficult than other cases.

Other than that, it’s a great case, if you need it. It’s extremely bulky and not very nice to hold at all. The rubber wrapping also becomes loose and floppy over time, especially in areas it gets stretched a lot at, like the home button.

These are amazing cases! I personally pop out the permanent screen that comes with them so that I can use a privacy screen.

Are they bulkier - yes, but considering how much I drop my phone everyday I feel comfortable have some added girth. (thats what she said)

I have had a few OtterBox’s on my different phones over time and I have never broke a screen or had any warping issues. The silicone does get worn out - but I expected that considering how much I take it in and out of my pocket and purse.

I say pull the trigger and worse case scenario you use it when you need added protection!

They dont make an armband, but I found a cheap armband at Walmart that fits my phone while its in the OtterBox defender case. I had to stretch it a bit but it seems to work fine.

Sweet deal - wish they had offered the same deal for the 4s. C’mon Woot - not all of us have upgraded to the latest and greatest!! Love the Otterbox Defender cases on the wife’s 4 and my 4s.

I’ve always liked less bulky cases (like the Speck CandyShell), but decided to try this one because of the excellent price. My observations (for those still undecided):

Pros:

1. Definitely the safest my iPhone 5 has ever been.
  2. Excellent fit for the phone with no wiggle.
  3. Current Woot! price.

Cons:

1. Still getting used to how bulky this is, especially in a pocket.
  2. iPhone glass has always been very tough & easy to clean…I don’t like the built in cover on this case since it smudges easier & eventually allows dust in between it & the glass.
  3. EVERYTHING IS COVERED. I’ll probably love it the first time something gets spilled, but I am getting tired of pulling a cover back every time I want to plug in power/earbuds or want to hit the mute switch.
  4. It took some googling to find out how to access the iOS7 control center since the case obscures the ability to touch the bottom of the screen above the home button. This is easily fixed by grabbing the control center a little to the left of its visible indicator:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/23028472#23028472

Hope this helps!

Don’t know whether to buy the pink one or the otter one. {snort}

i would like to ask about shipping cost to Greece…

If you work in a physical environment like a warehouse or job-site, then the Defender is for you. If you’re just beyond clumsy, then this case is for you.

I’m sorry. The only site that ships outside the US is shirt.woot.

Email Otterbox, they will replace it at no cost if you send them a picture and some numbers from the case.

I just dropped (about 3 feet) my phone in its OtterBox case for the first time since getting this woot. And my iPhone now has a cracked screen. A really, really badly cracked screen. I guess I was unlucky. I noticed in the comments that the OtterBox may warp the phone. That is interesting. My point is that while it seems to make the phone much safer, it is no guarantee.