Pa-Hell Ya!

Some good pans for Paella or perhaps other dishes. How do you use your Paella pan? Recipes to share?

There’s no information on the official site about how heat-resistant these pans are. Can they go in the oven or are they only for the stovetop? The description only talks about stovetop cooking, but it does say the handles make it easy to move to the oven.

I bought one of these the last time around. They’re teflon non stick coated aluminum pans and are great for making paella and frutti di mare. These are great pans at a heck of a good price.

I bought one last woot-off with no regrets. Best frypan in the house currently though I had to re-train myself to remember to wear oven mitts when handling (negative reinforcement…yowch!). What sold me was the simplicity of design: thick solid aluminum with advanced nonstick coating. Such makes for a very versatile pan. Recommend.

I bought the 16" pan last time, and I love it. It’s very well-constructed and I’m really happy with it. One caveat - it’s a little too big to fit in my oven. No problem, though, I finished my first paella outside on the grill after sauteing/browning the components inside on the stove.

They appear to be non-stick, and non-stick pans can release toxic fumes at high temperatures. For this reason, I tend to shy away from putting non-stick cookware in the oven. It is supposed to be safe as long as you keep the temperature below ~500 degrees, but I tend to err on the side of caution when toxic substances are a possibility around my food.

nerd alert: “ya” is not the same thing as “yeah”–the former is slang for “you” and the latter is slang for “yes.” (and don’t get me started on “yea”!) just thought i’d share. <=]

enjoy your paella, everyone…

Cast Iron, baby!

Good to about 1500 degrees. (After that, it might melt.)

steve

Do these have lids and if so what kind?

No, they do not have a lid

Linguistics nerd alert :slight_smile: : “Ja” is a grammatical particle used in most Germanic languages and regionally in the U.S. to indicate agreement; it’s ubiquitously pronounced “ya” and spelled “ya” in at least one area in the U.S. that was originally settled by folks of Germanic heritage (I didn’t realize that the spelling of “ja” as “ya” was common until I spent a few years living there). Since (I believe) the Woot Plus title is actually a joke based on the pronunciation of paella, eh, the joke works well enough. :slight_smile:

As long as we’re getting semantic, some trivia on the name.

Most people think of “paella” as the name of the dish that is prepared in the pan, but in reality, paella is the name of the pan itself. Calling it a paella pan is the equivalent of calling a skillet a skillet pan. It’s redundant. Referring to the food alone as paella is the same as saying “We’re having skillet for dinner.” You can have a seafood skillet or a breakfast skillet, but it means “breakfast cooked in a skillet” just as “seafood paella” means “seafood cooked in a paella.”

Does anyone know the total width of the pans, including the handles?

Paella means pan. writing “Paella Pan” is the same as writing “Pan Pan.” This isn’t Little Caesars. The dish Paella is named for the vessel it is cooked in, just like casserole.
Also, a non-stick Paella defeats the purpose. Paella (the recipe) is usually made by placing the Paella on an open flame/bed of coals. The best tasting rice is the rice that sticks to the bottom and gets a little crunchy - this won’t happen on a nonstick surface.
The pan may be OK for a stove, but it doesn’t look like it would work for making traditional Paella.