Paint Zoom Paint Sprayer

Any idea if this would work with Plastidip?

this is a great price on a paint sprayer for a DYI kit. however, this sprayer wasn’t well received by amazon customers:
http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Zoom-GPCT18-Sprayer/dp/B005IF5LW4

Can someone at Woot clarify which product this is: The “picture” is of the Paint Zoom™ PLATINUM (800 watt motor).

Zoom™ PLATINUM

But the specs listed are for the Paint Zoom™ DELUXE (650 watt motor)

Zoom™ DELUXE

The Paint Zoom™ PLATINUM can be used with thicker paints.

It’s a HVLP spray gun with a small electric air pump connected by an air hose. Interesting concept, but cheap electric paint sprayers never work very well. Something can’t be right if a gallon of paint costs more than your sprayer. You’ll thank yourself for spending more on a better quality tool.

In the past, I have found similar tools to work well with oil based paints, but not so well with latex. They seem to want to plug up too easily due to the amount of air entrained into the paint at the nozzle, causing the paint at the orifice to get hard and gum up the head.
Also, the length of the airline for this unit and the handle on the compressor part make this look like it is designed to be a two handed operation–one on the sprayer, one holding the compressor… which could get tiring after a while.
And lastly… wear hearing protectors or ear plugs and some sort of face mask/filter, especially if using this unit in a small room inside as the noise can be pretty loud and it’s hard to get paint out of your nose hair.

I respectfully disagree with your first point. I have used a couple of these HVLP sprayers and they work well for what they are. I had good luck with the Harbor Freight version.

You are 100% correct about the amount of paint it holds though. This would not be very useful if you have more than a small bathroom to paint.

I’m not seeing it. Our photos match the drawings in the manual for the Deluxe. On page 2 (Congratulations), the 5th bullet states:

Industrial strength, commercial grade motor delivers
650 watts of spraying power

Though I don’t have one of these particular units, I did spend 4 years refinishing bathtubs with a ~$500 HVLP sprayer.

I highly doubt that plastidip can be sprayed with this gun. The tip & needle size needs to be swapped for a larger or smaller orifice depending on the viscosity of whatever you are shooting. I see that this unit does include a viscosity cup (used to measure viscosity of your material) but I do not see any extra tips and needles. Unless they are available separately, you are stuck thinning your material to match the gun.

Going to the PaintZoom web site, http://www.paintzoom.com/ I can’t find any mention of the tip size included or a way to order new tips.

On the other hand, if I decided I was going to spray plastidip, I would buy a cheap gun like this or a Harbor Freight, there is no way I would get it near my good gun.

Cleaning the gun after a spray job is very important. You do NOT want this (or any other) material hardening up inside the tiny passages that make the gun work.

Glen

I’m with akafll look at the shape of the blower motor.

Snip from Deluxe user manual:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11255798/deluxe.JPG

Snip from Platinum user manual:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11255798/platinum.JPG

Glen

[edit]Either the photos got updated or we were both wrong, the picture now shows the oval blower.[/edit]

Though I don’t have one of these particular units, I did spend 4 years refinishing bathtubs with a ~$500 HVLP sprayer.

I highly doubt that plastidip can be sprayed. The tip & needle size needs to be swapped for a larger or smaller orifice depending on the viscosity of whatever you are shooting. I see that this unit does include a viscosity cup (used to measure viscosity of your material) but I do not see any extra tips and needles. Unless they are available separately, you are stuck thinning your material to match the gun.

Going to the PaintZoom web site, http://www.paintzoom.com/ I can’t find any mention of tip size or a way to order new tips.

On the other hand, if I decided I was going to spray plastidip, I would buy a cheap gun like this or a Harbor Freight, there is no way I would get it near my good gun.

Cleaning the gun after a spray job is very important. You do NOT want this (or any other) material hardening up inside the tiny passages that make the gun work.
(really WOOT? Your auto editor completely changed the sentance, BUT, ve haf ways around it, don’t we my precious?)

Glen

FYI: the “features” tab still has a typo: 600-watt motor instead of 650-watt.

So won’t you zoom zoom zoom-a zoom!
Come on and zoom-a zoom-a zoom-a zoom!
Come on, give it a try! We’re gonna show you just why!

I’m in for one. If it lasts for just one project around the house its worth the price. If I get two out of it, gravy.

I imagine you would have to thin the Plastidip in order to spray.

I have some small previous experience with thinning plastidip (for a job about 10 years ago)_, and the two main chemicals in the thinner that you can purchase for it are toluene and naptha.
i have no idea how the parts of the sprayer would hold up to that. I also would encourage serious caution about respiration and venting if i were using, much less spraying, either of those chemicals.
If i remember right, the thinner was intended for brushing on rather than dipping. I don’t think it was intended for spraying with air.

Again, this is just some info, i don’t have the proper information to draw any conclusions for you. I just remembered how nasty the thinning chemicals were and thought you may want to know.

Gravy? Any idea if this would work with gravy?

If sausage gravy, you’d have to strain the sausage pieces out (or risk premature wear).

I’d recommend using butter only.

hello, friends.
we’re making a quick change to the features/specs: it is Deluxe, 600 watts.

Someone posted that this is an HVLP spray unit and I agree. For those who are not familiar with this term, (HVLP) it means High Velocity Low Pressure. I own a professional HVLP system and paid $700 for it new (several years ago) and it is absolutely wonderful! This is probably a low cost, plastic version of an expensive HVLP sprayer. If this is true and I’m sure it is, buy at least 2 of them! If the unit lasts for 4 to 5 projects, you will more than be getting your moneys worth!

The advantage of an HVLP system is that it lays down an absolutely beautiful coat of paint (very much like the coating on your car) and it does so quickly and easily. Just follow the application instruction and remember that 2 light coats is better than one heavy coat. You will LOVE it!