Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Wi-Fi Quadricopter

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/bc7cc5bc-a083-4df5-a35b-d677601f44e3.jpg

Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Wi-Fi Quadricopter
Price: $169.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Thursday, Sep 25 to Tuesday, Sep 30) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://sellout.woot.com/offers/parrot-ar-drone-2-0-wi-fi-quadricopter-8) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Wi-Fi Quadricopter) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Wi-Fi Quadricopter)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
7/24/2014 - $169.99 (Woot-off)
7/23/2014 - $169.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (19 comments)
3/14/2014 - $169.99 - Click To See Discussion (90 comments)

7/11/2014 - $169.99 (Woot Plus)

Check out the product page and Check out these great tips from @joshobra

Apple App

[youtube=HoqFfkjhhHc] [/youtube]

Picked up one of these on Woot last spring. It’s a heckuva lot of fun.

The other day I was flying it and something went wrong and it stopped about 50 feet up in the air, dropped like a rock onto the street. Cracked a gear and bent/broke two propeller shafts. $8 in parts (including shipping) and I was back in business yesterday after they arrived (I also bought a $12 tool to help install the propeller clips).

Search the web and you’ll find any number of mods people have done with these. Cool stuff.

How is that ok? The thing is not working properly, it breaks, you have to pay for the repairs and fix it… and then you tell others to buy it too?

For many reasons, sometimes mechanical, mostly pilot error, you will crash a quadcopter. Grass is more forgiving than pavement but crashing, repairing, and modding are part of the whole RC hobby, be it airplanes or cars. With that attitude you would be wasting your money by buying one.

These drones are very cool. Especially with good cameras. But have this thing drop from 50 feet and hit someone and it could be very costly. I have not done my research yet but might have to pay more for something higher end. That said this still might be good for the price. Expensive RC aircraft crash all the time, the difference is they make these drones that pilot themselves and should not crash. I think he is trying to say here it is cheap to repair, fine but I agree the “something went wrong” part is not enticing.

I live in a windy place and it crashes all the time because the wind took it beyond its ability. Also if you have it do the cool flip move and it is windy, it will crash. So yeah my students and I have crashed it dozens of times and the only damage has been to the styrofoam. Whichis easily fixed with tape. I thought that was impressive. The bottom camera is a joke. It looks so bad. The front cam is alright but the footage is mad shakey and pancakes if you do too much horizontal turning.

Bought the AR.Drone almost a year ago on Woot. It never worked right. Had an error message right out of the box. Beware the factory reconditioned drones.

Been messing around with a cheap SYMA X1 - very persnickety.

Pondering whether to go with the Parrot next or jump right into the ideal (as a pre-built) DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ ($1,200!). A colleague has the DJI and it takes mind-blowing video.

Look at the specs for these very reasonably priced Parrots tho - the amount of technology they cram into it for the money is incredible.

Typo: I think “RMP” is supposed to be “RPM”, from the specs…

Wow, I had no idea my comment would be taken as negative.

If you’ve ever flown RC, you know that you WILL crash. Some (pilots) more than others… The worst thing is when you can’t buy parts, or when they are hella expensive, so a crash ruins your whole craft. With the AR Drone the parts are readily, and cheaply available on eBay, amazon and other sources.

As for the “something went wrong”, I honestly don’t know what happened. I think I may not have had the foam body on tightly and it touched a propeller. The drone is designed to do an e-stop when it senses a propeller is being obstructed (this is normally a good thing, as you don’t want to get tied up in a tree or your wife’s hair), but when it’s flying 50’ up in the air over blacktop it wasn’t quite as good. I was impressed that it held up as good as it did, and blame only myself for the mishap.

Search YouTube and the general web and you’ll see many, many people are flying these crafts with good results. I’ve had nothing but fun with mine, unlike other helicopters, etc which have just been heartbreaking when they never work quite right. This thing all but flies itself.

Bought a factory reconditioned from Woot. Battery could not hold a charge at all. Bought another reconditioned from Rakutan and one of the rotor gears was broken in half. Based on these two experiences, I don’t think factory reconditioned means what it appears to mean, at least to Parrot factory.

Was $25 less in May per dealnews.

As one of its daily deals, Woot offers the factory-refurbished Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 WiFi Quadricopter, model no. PF721000SE, for $169.99 plus $5 for shipping. That’s $124 under the lowest total price we could find for a new unit, although we saw a refurb for $25 less in May. It can be controlled with an iPhone, iPad, or most Android devices and features a 720p on-board camera, an ARM Cortex A8 1GHz processor, 128MB of RAM, WiFi, USB, 3-axis accelerometer, 2-axis gyrometer, 1-axis yaw precision gyrometer, 3-cell battery, and up to 12 minutes of flight time per battery charge. A 90-day Parrot warranty applies. Deal ends today.

I got one of these the last time. It is a whole lotta fun to fly and capture great images/videos from up high. Controls on the iPad is easy to use and very responsive. However, that is all keeping in mind that you are in connection with it. I had mine do a “fly-away” after it got out of wifi range when the wind blew it way off course (yes it’s very light and any wind beyond 5mph will affect flight). Never saw it again. Even though Parrot claims that the drone will hover in position until it gets back in wifi connection. This did not happen that day. Google for “parrot drone flyaway” and you’ll get a ton of results of this happening to a lot of people. You could get the Parrot GPS Flight Recorder mod, which has a return to home feature, but even that has got some poor reviews on Amazon. Just a note of caution to those considering this. I’m right now saving up for the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+, which has a return to home feature, better connection and way better camera.

Been using one of these things for years. Still using the starter hull. Not up to perfect standards in any way. The point is, I have had a lot of fun flying, crashing, learning and getting the feel for flight. While I do not see amazon.com using these units to drop off items to you, I find them fun to operate. Personally they would be too noisy to be used as a covert device for people following. Nor are they effective for covert photography of people. To get good identifiable photos you have to fly too low. In higher altitude flight, while still getting reasonable pictures, you will not get usable pix unless you know your subject. Also at heights over 150 feet you can tend to lose wireless connection and problems with buffeting in wind shifts get a bit challenging.

I can say that repairs are cheap. I’ve crashed mine innumerable times and it still is working. While most impacts have left my unit unaffected, there have been hard impacts. Mostly these are dealing with hits to the ground but, since I am using a novice body, some quick duct tape and I am back off the ground fairly fast. One thing about a tape repair you have to remember is weight effect. Once you put enough tape on your Parrot to cause an imbalance, you should be upgrading to the standard hull. I have not seen reasonably priced beginner hulls most places.

I paid 175 for mine from an off brand box store. At that time they were running over 275. Still and all, a 170 price point for these things is great.

Oh, if you don’t have an iOS device or android unit, do NOT waste your time. You are going to need something to control this and there is not a joystick that does that as a dedicated controller.

Just my humble opinion. Thanks for listening to my babble.

Sometimes things break or fail, that’s life. Look at other mechanical items, a lot will experience some failure of some kind at some point.

At least it was a cheap fix.

I am a novice quad driver,and yes I have had many crashes while learning to fly ,and I still am learning ! I have been learning with an x6 quad copter,and I saw this parrot price ,and it is very inviting ,but I don’t know about the remote control ?Does it come with a remote control ?I do not own an Ipad or other similar device ,so would I have to buy one to fly the Parrot,as that would add to the expense !Anyone out there can you help ?!

I wish this one had a controller instead of relying on a phone/tablet. :frowning:

Amazon web site lists this model as discontinued by the manufacturer.

Do you really want to spend $170 on a refurb of a discontinued model?