Pear Valley Vineyards 2009 Mixed White - 4 Pack

[How good is this deal?](http://bit.ly/e8Tpri" title="How good is this deal?)

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

It is! I think it was my favourite of the sweet ones. They had a Hungarian Rozmaring, which was much more unusual, but both very decent sweet-end wines. I might still have a bottle.

I hope these Pear guys turn up and talk to us! They’re definitely Paso Robles style, which is high alcohol, “spicy” wines. I think they’re brave to grow whites there, but they may well know more about special conditions there which may well work for a good proportion of wooters. I’d say if you like typical California whites, you may like these.

Incidentally, the Syrah looks like good value. They had a vertical up on woot, and it’s the same area as Calcareous, whose Syrah I liked, with unabashed high alcohol, though the Cab and Zin were disappointing. Syrah can taste good in almost all climates and conditions though, and will style in several ways, so I suspect it takes a truly execrable winemaker to make a bad Syrah.

[QUOTE=michaepf, post:7, topic:312588]
Mom is coming to visit next month, so it’d be good to have some (more) whites on hand…

Anyone else surprised by the alcohol on the chard and SB?
/quote]

I’m surprised. Your mom could get pretty toasted on these.

Will we have rats? I’m full to the brim on wine, but these sound very intriguing.

Good Morning, Jared here from Pear Valley Vineyards. So, the Muscat Canelli is a dry wine, no R.S. We feel that this wine is much more interesting as a dry wine. There are spicy notes to this wine which make it very interesting. It also pairs great with tough foods, such as Thai and Japanese.

Lassow - 2009 was not abnormaly hot, but we do get warm here in Paso. As far as a vintage, 2009 is a classic. Pretty much textbook, with no extreme spiked temperatures on either end.

When you are out this way, give us a shout. I would be happy to show you around the winery.

Okay, we’ll I don’t care for oaked Chardonnay, but I like trying different styles from the same winery so this was tempting. Finding out the muscat is dry puts me in for two. These sound like good summer wines – thanks!

Yes, I love the nutmeg it imparts. Overall, it leans towards the baking spices and as an intergrated wine, works wonderfully with chardonnay. Baking spices and tropical fruit. Yes please…

Hi there, good to see you on the forum today.

If I can go a bit off-topic, there are a few of us who were wondering about the 2005 Syrah closeout deal from the winery, and there isn’t a lot of information about it. Can you give a quick comment/recommendation?

Sorry for the thread hijack!

So, the '05 Syrah is on sale, simple because we did not have a tasting room until 2009, and we have the inventory. It’s a screaming deal because the wine was made very well, high end French oak barrels, AND it’s been aged for you. I suspect the wine will reach it’s peak in the next year or two, and is drinking fantastic currently. The tannins have mellowed and created the ‘silkyness’ we desire from aged wine. Hope that helps…

Great, thanks!

In for two… Couldn’t pass up the unoaked chard (rarely seen in the midwest).

Do my eyes decieve me, $60 for a case of '05 Syrah ?

Hopefully Pear Valley shows up tomorrow on Woot with the Syrah. I know $95 total for a case of '05 Syrah is increbibly cheap but there is something about paying 35 dollars to ship a 60 dollar case of wine that is stopping me from pulling the trigger on that offer although I did purchase two of the whites on here. Maybe we will get some feedback from previous drinkers of the Syrah.

i agree gtcharlie, i am so spoiled by the wine.woot shipping, can’t stomach the $30 per case shipping for the syrah either. Well Woot, can you do this deal?

I only live 3 hours from the winery according to google maps, so it was only $18 to ship, but then again we have $4.95 of dreaded CA tax (not that I’m complaining, but does anyone know why WW doesn’t charge CA tax??) still that equates to something like $6.90 a bottle!! Even if this turns out to be a Tuesday drinker, for that price, it’s all good :slight_smile: Yet again, if it turns out to be something more . . .

Woot needs to build the bulk of the shipping costs into the price, so I doubt they’d be able to do it any cheaper than $95 shipped anyhow so you might as well order it from the winery if you want it.

Woot had a 3 pack Pear Valley vertical including one of this Syrah up during the woot off (check out Cesares top post for a link)

I hear you. I truly doubt they could do it cheaper than $95. If I heard some positive impressions of the wine I am sure I could overcome by shipping hangup.

I’ll let you know when my case arrives…I wonder how quickly they ship> I live in the SF bay area, so I should have it overnight from the day they ship :slight_smile:

Like some others, I feel the same way. I know it doesn’t make any sense, but if it were $80 for a case and only $10 for shipping I’d feel better.

Any Seattle area wooters who want to split a case? PM me if interested.