Winery website

Facebook
Yelp

http://wine.woot.com/images/labrat.jpg

Key Details
Rat Date: 02/11/2011
Wine: 2006 Syrah
Winery: Pear Valley Vineyard

This is my first time labratting. Got the bottle roughly midday Thursday via overnight. Checked the label and then the winery site to see if I hit the jackpot and was ratting a black tie bottle… no luck, bottle price from winery $25 ($17 from wine club) per bottle but still was excited to try a Syrah that was new to me.

I’d like to note this point that although I enjoy savoring a fine wine am not trained or practiced in picking out specific flavor notes and am inexperienced to say the least at putting my experiences with wine onto paper or a digital form thereof.

(all times are EST)

6:30pm – Opened bottle

6:30pm – begin 10 minute in bottle breathe

6:40pm – Begin 5 minute in-glass aeration
- Foregoing full decanting for now
- Wine color is an opaque dark burgundy to maroon, no visible sediment
- Smell is fruity and rich, smell is slightly reminiscent of spring flowers

6:42pm – Lost patience, took first sip
- Very balanced to start fading to quite a dry aftertaste (finish)

6:50pm – Allowed further breathing, about 3 fingers (to use an archaic measurement) left in glass
- More gradual transition from start to finish with the finish much more mellow than during first taste

7:03pm – Last smell and taste
- Smell is much more subtle, has almost a smoky element that seemed undetectable before
- the tail end has lost most of it’s edge although there is still a slight bite

After notes:
- I waited after finishing my tasting notes to pour myself a second glass, this is a wine that definitely seems to benefit from a long time aerating. I did not use a decanter but that may speed up the process of aerating the wine versus allowing to breathe in the bottle followed by the wine glass.

- I did not pair with any food for my notes however I will note that this pairs very well with  the  	[Dark and Milk Fleur de 	Sel Chocolate Covered Caramels](http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4326736), admittedly so do most other things

SWMBO is in for one. She went here on her Bachelorette Party and really enjoyed the winery. Glad to support such a great place. Plus, these look like BOMBS which is good for me!

Make sure you check out the vintner voicemeail for this - Jared packs a lot of words into a short time.

Yes, it’s pretty hard to screw up those delicious salted chocolate caramels - I bought some for my girlfriend as a Valentine’s Day gift and have since claimed half for myself (rightfully, I should think :tongue:).

Thank you for a systematic and descripting Ratting! But a question - would you describe (and hopefully this will indicate a stylistic decision applicable to all three vintages) the wine as more restrained, or more “fruit bomb”-like? In other words, do you get a good sense of the acidity, dryness, tannins, oak, and fruit all on the attack, or does the fruit dominate at the beginning (and perhaps fade away a bit to reveal the other factors near the end)?

Woo-Hoo First one in (insert Tosh.0 joke here)

Can’t wait to get this order. We have been very satisfied with all of our wine.woot purchases…so far.

I can only speak for the 2006 since that’s all I received. The fruit is very upfront in the beginning however the taste stays until the end while changing into what I can only classify as a dry oaky flavor on the finish but with still a hint of the fruit. The finish teases into the next sip wherein the bold fruity beginning is replenished.

Edit: I am not fully versed in the etiquette of these things so unless someone advises me to do otherwise I won’t add the rat header to any followups on this.

I noticed in the description of the '07 that its alcohol is somewhat lower, and there’s mention of earthiness and aging for 5-6 more years. It sounds as if it is a bomb, it’s at least an age-worthy bomb - sort of like a well-endowed girl who has brains too.

This kind of scares me

edit: what am i doing wrong with the formatting?

I probably should have clarified that more, it is noticeable but not overwhelming so it adds a slight edge to the tail. Think of it as a quick nip followed by a a gentle caress.

edit: you probably forgot
[/quote]

Hmm, I wonder how this stacks up to the Calcareous Syrah, which is also from Paso Robles. I just finished my bottle tonight and it was fantastic. I’m not usually a fan of Syrah or Paso but if the rats make it sound like the Calc I don’t think ill be able to resist.

Easiest is to hit “reply” and edit out what you don’t want, but leave everything between the square brackets (including the brackets) alone. Format is

[ quote postid=“4343550” user=“zener” ] stuff [ /quote ]

taking out the spaces immediately inside the square brackets.

Why does it scare you?

I’m not sure what Kao is saying. He mentioned “quite a dry aftertaste” - I think (and i do mean “think”) he might be referring to a dry, tannic note, like “dusty windowpane” than mostly fades as the wine has had a chance to breathe.

Regarding the formatting, the quote should begin with

[QUOTE=Kao1138, post:3, topic:306396]
, which you should get when you hit “reply” (i.e. don’t edit it).

I can see the ending bracket in your post, so that’s fine.

ok ill give it 1 more try thanks

That’s actually quite helpful - it sounds as if a lot of the tannic element has been derived from the oak used. That “dry oaky” sensation you describe sounds like the puckery, teeth-drying, tongue-clicking sensation of raw oak tannins, meaning there’s a rather substantial oak element involved here. The fruit-forward character makes this sound like a fairly standard Paso Syrah. (Although the 2006 vintage had, I believe, more of a predilection to such a style than the 2005 and 2007 vintages, although most of the information on which I base those conclusions is for Northern California - I honestly have no idea what the vintages were like in Paso. We’ll simply have to wait and hear from the winery.)

No need for the Rattage insignia on subsequent posts or any additional work on your part. The moderators will take care of all that. Thanks again for the effort and concentration you’ve put into your Rattage!

Now that you’ve posted here, you’re officially a member of Woot Wino World. Don’t be a stranger - it’s fun here!

My (relatively) standard questions for a Paso winemaker:

Where in Paso Robles are your vineyards located? Do you think there is a significant difference between ‘westside’ wines and those from other parts of the region?

How does this compare to other wines made in the Paso area? Are any aspects of the wine particularly similar (or not!) to other wines from the area?

What other varietals do you grow? Some of the best American GSMs I’ve had have come from the Paso Robles region; do you use any of this syrah in blends, or is it all made for the single-varietal bottles?

And anything else you’d like to add of course!!!

While we’re waiting for the winery, I can help answer the “what varietals” question. From their website:

2009 Tom’s Oak Chard. 2009 Chardonnay 2009 Sauvignon Blanc 2009 Muscat Canelli 2009 Rosé 2009 Orange Muscat 2005 Cabernet Franc 2006 Cabernet Franc 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 Syrah 2008 Zinfandel 2006 Distraction 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon

There’s also a Merlot listed on Snooth.

In my original tasting that was the case however after allowing the wine to breathe there was no more cloying dryness, however, there was still what was left after the sweet fruity notes receded which I can only call dryness.