Pedroncelli Port 500ml (3) & Chocolate

Here’s a thread that explains all.

I say, go for it. This is a lovely port, even the “non-port” people at thanksgiving dinner loved this port. I have a hard time buying locally in CT.

Here is my notes on the 2006:

Color: Nice dark, garnet color
Nose: Nothing overly distinguishable on the nose. Mostly get the brandy, maybe some ripe blackberries and raisins. It smells like port!
Taste: Nice sweetness on the front, not a ton a fruit, but good hints of dark dark cherries, raisins and some oak. The sweetness is quickly overtaken by the heat and spice and then ends with a nice, long finish that lingers and lingers.

Overall: A nice vintage port, but seems to be lacking a little bit of the balance I was hoping for. Hopefully it smooths out a bit with some more time in the bottle, but even as it sits now, its a great QPR.

I haven’t tried the 2007.

I think this may be one of the first port offerings I am passing on. I though the 2006 was a decent wine for the price, though I wish it had been 5 dollars cheaper and sans the chocolate; then the price would have been just right.

Based on my experience with the 2006, the $5 increase in price, and the inclusion of the chocolate once again, this kills the QPR for me. At almost $17 a bottle shipped, I would be buying the KR Forte on the Plus offering over this any day of the week. If the $5 increase wasn’t there and the chocolate was gone and took another $3-5 with it, this would be in the buy range for me.

I’ll add my comment on about how good the 06 was and I’ll be in for at least one this time around.

I don’t like all ports and the ones I do like, tend to be less sweet comparatively. This Pedroncelli Port is delicious and the main problem I have is only drinking a little at a time.

If you are on the fence, I say definitely give it a try. In my cabinet is a bottle of Frank Family Port which I paid $65 for so this is a good deal for equally as delicious a beverage.

Yeah, I won’t be buying this. I was excited to see “Port” on here, but a) Pedroncelli seems Italian, and b) it comes from CA. I would be doing myself and my culture a great disservice purchasing this wine. To me, it ain’t Port if it ain’t from Portugal. Sorry Woot!.. Try Vampyre again… been waiting on that.

I too picked up a pair of these on the rpm tour, but have them entered as $14.25 each; perhaps I got a case discount…? Even at $15~16 here I’ll pick up some additional. Like Pedroncelli, like Ed, and how they treat us. Unless their policy has changed buy now and you get wine club pricing for a year from them. What’s not to like about that?
Do it, think of the cases later you’ll want.

First Sucker: MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin
Last Purchase: a minute ago

I also purchased this earlier this year and was extreemly pleased with the port as well as the chocolates!!! I would buy this again in a heartbeat if I could get it sent to me here in VA. I am patiently (really impatiently) waiting for something to be worked out with Woot and VA.

I bought this deal last year around this time (the 2006 vintage). I was impressed with this port, and I’m very picky about ports. The 2006 isn’t a 20 year old Ramos Pinto, but it doesn’t aspire to be so. The body was a bit light, but overall it was enjoyable and I considered it a very good deal. The only better California port I’ve had was a Charles Krug Zinfandel Port. But that was considerably more expensive.

Will this be shipped under the gift-week special offering or the normal 2-3 weeks shipping?

Quite appropriate that this so-called “port” has the “The Plagiarist Poet’s Wine” right next to its description.
Perhaps some day the US starts following international regulation that we signed up.

I recently purchased a few of these (at their winery in Sonoma). I was surprised how much more like a “real” port (i.e. hardened wine from Portugal) these tasted; keep in mind that port was considered trash wine until a decade or two ago, so that may or may not be a bad thing. California port-style wines tend to be much richer and fuller bodied than port, so if you like one of the great big California ports (e.g. Vincent Arroyo – mmmm!!!), this will be different. On the other hand, if you like a vintage e.g. 1983 port, then you’ll find this style to be right up your alley. (I personally like both.) The price is also pretty good – lower than what I paid at any rate.

Question for Ed of pEDroncelli if he stops by. Will we be getting an RPM Tour woot plus deal of your wines? I need to restock on what I got on the tour already!

Also, if you go to Aug 10 of the RPM tour (http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4799952&pageindex=36&replycount=1605), blogger IFTWDSWAFO has a link to a YouTube video that shows you how to fill the cupcakes with the port filling.

So, winery website lists bottles at $19, times 3 is $57. So this chocolate that comes with it retails at $24??

The “Specs” tab has a price breakdown you’re probably going to want to read.

It shouldn’t since it’s just a little pocket tin. Retail does appear to be inflated today

That’s crazy! Why would I click on more things??

Still, $8 for a tiny tin of chocolate is madness. Like someone else said, if the chocolate was gone and the price $5 less, I’d be much more inclined to insta-buy.

Any opinions on this offer vs. the Rasmussen forte on the Plus site? Which would you prefer if you had to choose one?

SO am I the only one confused why it says 2007 on the main tab but 2006 on the specs tab? Do we have a verification that the specs tab is incorrect? Because if so, then are all the stats such as pH and alc% incorrect as well?

If it is the 2006 I am interested, less sure about the 2007.