Pellegrini Family Vineyards Mixed Case

Pellegrini Family Vineyards Mixed Case
$124.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
3 2009 Pellegrini Family Russian River Pinot Noir
3 Pellegrini North Coast Family Blend (non vintage)
3 2007 Cloverdale Ranch Merlot
3 2009 Pellegrini Eight Cousins Zinfandel
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

Previous offers:
1/21/11
11/23/10

Pretty good acidity here with most pH under 3.5: these look like wines of a traditional European bent. Any news on oak / barrels? Maybe someone has notes on whether they likes this last time, too!

A couple of questions for the winery rep.

1. Why the different winemakers between the Merlot and Pinot, and the Zin? Do these different wines follow a common style for the winery or did each winemaker bring their own style to the final product?

2. What was the bottling date on the N.V. blend?

Thanks,

Interesting.

N.V. bottles tend to be ports, is the Pellegrini North Coast Family Blend (non vintage) a port’ish wine or ?

Sadly the CT reviews are lackluster.

What’s the star in this grouping? Perhaps the only CT unrated bottle in the lineup?

[labrat]

Novice lab rat comments - though “seasoned” wine drinkers. :slight_smile:

WINE: 2007 Cloverdale Ranch Merlot, Alexander Valley

smells like wine - slight oak & berries… earthy scent. dark red; at first pour through our ever present wine aerator the wine seems to be more complex in flavor - not necessarily a drinking wine - more a sipping wine

we are big fans of Merlot and for me, the Alexander Valley in particular.

but very quickly the wine seems to be opening up and becoming smoother to drink, the complex earthy flavors are still there, just a little more blended.

We are not patient wine drinkers - we do not cellar or want to wait years to drink the wine…

And seriously within 30 minutes of opening and pouring this is excellent drinking wine not sipping wine.

What does fruit forward and other terminology mean - we don’t know. But the wine is not too sweet, not too dry - really, just perfect (how cliche is that?!)

The wine goes really well with a variety of food even from milder fish to heartier meats. We are having french bread, salami (woot salami of course), fairly sharp cheese…

and sadly, the wine is now gone… in for 1 no room in the cellar, otherwise in for 3…

According to our notes we bought the last Pellegrini offering and very much enjoyed the Zinfandel 2008…

btw ablickle says “I really like the wine”, but it’s my awesome wife who runs the show… :slight_smile: and in the end, it’s good wine…

Hopefully somebody got the blend to rat since that’s the one that’s going to be really interesting to hear about.

Also, I know someone already asked about what type of oak (if any was used) I’d be very interested in how long they were aged in the barrels before being bottled.

It is with deep regret that I inform you I’m not going to be able to hold up my end of the deal as a Pellegrini North Coast Family Blend lab rat. Beginning Tuesday afternoon, my temperature began to shoot up and morphed into a full blown flu. Not only would alcohol be an unwise choice, but it would be a complete waste on me even if I was able to try to enjoy it. Again, my deepest sympathies to the winery and to wine.woot.

get well soon!

i’m still enjoying my previous cases and awaiting the tempranillo case, and pondering this offer…

in the meanwhile, if you haven’t already heard this , which just came in an email:

A woman is sitting at home on the veranda with her husband as they enjoy a glass of wine and she says, “I love you.”

He asks, “Is that you or the wine talking?”

She replies, “It’s me…talking to the wine.”

[LABRAT]

New Lab Rat here with a review of the Family Blend. Sorry it took so long, we lost power in the hail storm and just got it back.

4 out of 5 tasters said they liked this wine. We are a mix of red and white wine drinkers and the only hold out was a seriously tannin loving guy.

The initial bouquet is invitingly fruity. After pouring, the entire dining room filled with the rich berry scent. Light on the tannins, a bit on the sweet side, tons of berry flavor. It is a very smooth, easy drinking wine. Great for a mixed group of wine drinkers.

Edited to add- Reviews I’m now looking at say it would be good with grilled food and I totally agree. It would match very well.

hmmm… I do like wine
and it is payday
I may have to get one of these.

I really enjoyed the last mixed case from them. It’s very tempting…

Thoroughly enjoyed their last mixed case; very well-made and not too tannic or comples. Justgreat drinking wines. I know I am not beingspecific about any partiular varietal but this seemed to be the theme across the board. In for one!
P.S. don’t put too much weight on CT notes- I only use them as one of several factors to consider.

Looking forward to hearing from the winery. Can you tell us if there is any residual sugar in the Family Blend?

[LABRAT]

for Pellegrini 2009 Pinot Noir.

Although I’m not really trained to “taste” wine, I can tell when I’m drinking a nice glass of wine, and when I’m NOT. So here goes:

Upon opening the bottle, there was a slightly yeasty smell, almost like an “aftersmell”. Then I poured it into a glass and waited a few minutes. Took a whiff and it smelled very fruity - I can’t say which fruit, but berries came to mind.

Then the first sip - wow, I really liked it, and I didn’t expect to, because I usually enjoy Cabernets, or the Tuscan blends of sangiovese-cab-merlot.

So I can say that this is not a bold, strong wine with those peppery, spicy aftertastes, but it is still had a nice “after flavor”.

And yes, I would buy this wine again. Thanks woot!

I enjoyed the last mixed case I got from Pellegrini. I’m not going to be able to go in on this deal, though, because my husband and I are going out of town and I fear the wine will show up while we’re gone. I would definitely be buying this if we were going to be around, though!

Hi winery!
Can you provide the residual sugar numbers for these wines, particularly the NV family blend? Muchas Gracias!

How do I determine the relative value of the Family Blend without a vintage year? I am not sure how good a deal this is. Experts HElP!!