Pentax Binoculars

I remember Pentax from the 80’s. They used to make SLR camera lenses. It looks like the name is owned by Ricoh now. http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/sport-optics/

There’s some decent reviews on Binoculars.com http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/pentax/7953+7954+8092.cfm?source=msadcenter&kwid=pentax%20binoculars&tid=Exact

BTW, I still haven’t figured out how Binoculars falls into the Electronics category.

Non-sport binoculars are grouped with cameras - probably because they’re both optical. Cameras are in Electronics. It’s the same way on any online retail site.

Scroll about halfway down on the list of the left.

optics.woot.com?

Just saying.

Pentax is still alive and kicking, and making great cameras, binoculars, rifle scopes, etc.

They just don’t spend very much on advertising in the US. Maybe Ricoh will change that, but if even Sony can’t overcome Canon and Nikon’s huge market lead after splashing tons of cash, then they’re probably better off just working their niche.

Bringing this back on topic, I bought my wife a set of Pentax binoculars a couple of years ago, and she loves them.

I remember Pentax from the 1960’s, when Honeywell imported their cameras and optics. Does Honeywell Spotmatic ring a bell with anyone?

To most everyone, Asahi Pentax will be a familiar brand, however. Although it is now owned by once rival competitor Ricoh (as mentioned above).

Like Nikon, Pentax has made binoculars for many years… they are an optics manufacturer. With both Pentax and Nikon, their entry level binoculars and rifle scopes offer good quality. However, from mid-level up in both brands, the glass gets much better and costlier as would be expected.

How much you might plan to spend should be in line with your intended use and how often you expect to actually use these optics. Factor in too the level of image quality as you demand.

Pentax is famous for their sharp and bright SMC (Super Multi Coated) lenses and quality construction.

There’s generally no free lunches when you’re buying optical glass.

Any recommendations for lower-light situations and medium distances? Maybe 100 yards?

Consider the Pentax 65807 8x40 PCF WP II Binocular

Relative viewing brightness is high compared to the other offerings, when objective diameter is divided by magnification… 40÷8=5 and that number squared as 5² = 25.

5 is the “exit pupil” size and 25 is the “relative brightness”.

The larger this number, the brighter your viewfinder.

Any glass with more than 10x power is generally a bit difficult to hold steady in your hands… i.e. - image is shaky.

This one is stated to have BaK-4 porro prisms.

The Pentax 62617 10x50 DCF SP Binocular or the Pentax 62625 10x50 DCF ED Binocular should not be overlooked if within your budget.

Binoculars 101…

Most everything you want to know about binoculars, for those inquisitive minds who feel so compelled!