PENTAX K-01 Digital Camera w/Dual Lenses

**Item: **PENTAX K-01 Digital Camera w/Dual Lenses
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=PENTAX K-01 Digital Camera w/Dual Lenses)

[Search Google](PENTAX - Google Shopping K-01 Digital Camera w/Dual Lenses)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
4/25/2013 - $419.99 - 37 comment(s)

5/21/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)
4/29/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)
4/29/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)

Check out this review over at dpreview.com

Very good reviews (4.4 out of 5.0)over at amazon

Here are some Reviews From BH Photo Video

I can say Pentax makes very solid cameras. This camera is very good. The down side that this camera does have is that the latch over the SD card isn’t hard plastic and is sometimes hard to get back into place, but the lens mount on this is the same as they used for their current DSLRs. The lenes are just kit lenses which will be decent, but not great. Overall would probably be a great walking around camera, especially if you get the 40mm pancake that comes on some kits.

An Amazon review.
The main “functional” criticisms against this camera are the lack of a viewfinder and the slow auto-focus performance. The auto-focus performance has been addressed by a new firmware, available at the Pentax web site. The lack of a viewfinder is, in my opinion, and unforgivable oversite, but at a bit over $500 with a pair of lenses, for a camera with an 16MP APS-C sensor and Pentax K-Mount compatibility, I am willing to overlook that. The ergonomics are also very poor in comparison to almost every other modern camera, and it is large, but I can live with that.

Simply put, you cannot get higher quality images with the flexibility of lenses that the the K-01 delivers, for less money right now. I own a few old Pentax lenses, so I am getting even more bang for my buck than others would, but even if I did not have the lenses already, I would have gone with the K-01 dual lens setup.

Vast understatement there… they can use ANY SLR lens they have made for the last 60 years, even old manual ones.

One of the best things about them IMHO. It was a great advantage when the the DSLRs first came out there was a HUGE market of old used Pentax glass some very good, but that has mostly dried, up now.

I have had several Pentax DSLRs. The K10D the K-20D and a K-X, never been disappoint in amy of them.

The 20D and a K-X are still serving me just fine or I’d be on this, especially with two lenses for that price. The kit lenses are great but they are far from bad and those two zoom ranges covers a lot of stuff.

For we elder former 35mm users, almost all lens back to some 40 years will mount…Not all features such as auto focus/zoom etc will work, but old lens are very inexpensive…Suggest you join the Pentax forum group…Great source of excellent advice…Have Fun…

Vast understatement there… they can use ANY SLR lens they have made for the last 60 years, even old manual and AE only ones.

One of the best things about them IMHO. It was a great advantage when their DSLRs first came out there was a HUGE market of old used Pentax glass on EBay some very good, but that has mostly dried up now. Still some of the most cost effective quality DSLRs out there

I have had several Pentax DSLRs. The K10D the K-20D and a K-X, never been disappoint in amy of them.

The 20D and a K-X are still serving me just fine or I’d be on this, especially with two lenses for that price. The kit lenses aren’t real great but they are far from bad and those two zoom ranges covers pretty much everything but extremes.

Dear god man… What the hell are you trying to say?!

Actually the “kit” was $749 and came with 3 lenses when it was released. But this model has been discontinued. That’s why the great price. Still an entry level camera but it’s a good start for a newbie. But I have to agree that no view finder is a real bummer.

For a person new to decent camera equipment, but not photography, would you recommend this kit or the 40mm pancake lens for the most flexibility starting out?

If you don’t have any Pentax glass already, I’d save up a bit and go Nikon. You’ll be happier in the long run on access to lenses and accessories from local shops. I love my current Pentax setup but I hate not having access to local sources of accessories or service. If you choose this one, you’ll do fine with the image quality and have a couple of solid starter lenses. Like I said though, I think you’d be happier in the long run with a more prevalent system and Nikon is known for good guide menus for new users.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been told similar things by other people but I really can’t spend any more money than this. Even $400 is pushing it unfortunately. If I buy more lenses I’ll probably get some Sigmas or something. I’m very technologically literate, so I’m sure the menus wouldn’t be an issue for long. I appreciate the input.

edited and clarified just for you ;o

Starting out in photography, i would honestly suggest the pentax k30 or the k50 that is being released over this, they are more expensive, but a view finder is lovely and you do get that wonderful weather resistance that pentax puts on most of their DSLRs.
But if this is a camera that does interest you, defiantly start out with this kit rather then the 40mm, zoom lenses will give you an idea of what you like/need prime lenses like the 40mm are for when you already know what you want!

I’ve got one of these, as well as a Canon S95 (enthusiast point & shoot), and a Pentax K-5 IIs (DSLR), and the K-01 is like a combination of both. It’s basically a hefty point & shoot with stellar image quality and interchangeable lenses.

And don’t forget about focus peaking. That alone makes all the inexpensive 30+ year old manual focus lenses a breeze to use.

I think this is a good deal for a beginner, but also for a Pentaxian that already has some good glass. If you’re not gonna use the kit lenses you can get around $200+ for them on ebay. That leaves you with a $200 back-up/second body with image quality better than nearly any other MILC.

A bit hesitant on the kit lenses based on the reviewer’s experiences at dpreview.com. The body with 40mm pancake lens sells for about the same, and then with luck will find some decent WA and zoom lenses on the cheap…

Welp, pulled the trigger. Thanks everyone for your input.

I really, really did want the yellow one though - maybe I can find someone willing to trade.