Peter Wellington 2006 Victory Reserve - 2 Pack

No: on the comment in new CT he says it WAS corked, so disregard it!

Rolling the dice on the shipping!!! Damn you woot off in this weather.

Thanks!! In for 1.

Ha. Very misleading. In for two. Love Wellington and SWMBO as well, but Peter wins this time.

Funny though, we were just planning a trip out to Sonoma last night and pegged Wellington as a must stop. This is a sign. Thanks WD and PW!

np. I decided it was worth 3: Read why PW thinks it’s better than the 05. Less bell-peppery than the 05 (that was too green for me) and this one has a lot of CF. Might not age as long as some, meaning 10 -20 rather than 20-30 years :smiley:

I’ve seen a couple of people expressing concerns about heat damaging the wine during shipment. For someone who’s somewhat newer to the mail-order wine scene, how high does the thermometer need to be before you really start to worry about that? I’m in Ohio, but it definitely turned warm here in the last couple of days (high of 79 today). That said, the reviews of this wine are fantastic and the winery appears to get a lot of repeat business–this would be my first Wellington ever, but I have the budget to plunk down for it right now if I want, and if the heat won’t damage it so much that it might ruin my first taste of a winery that apparently has a heck of a fan following for its size.

My parents are in for 1.

Woke up. Looked at woot on phone. Went “holy $hit it’s victory” and raced to buy 3. I have no space, I have a tight budget but this was the wine I have been waiting for ever since I had my 1st bottle. Quite a way to wake up.

Richard. I believe I have a tasting note in CT. Highest rating I have given. Silky but significant tannins right now. Great depth of flavor.

tell him you’re a wooter, and that you actually discuss the wines on the board (you’ll remember discussions like this with various people) and he’ll give you a fine welcome if Peter’s around (ask)! He was the mainstay of last year’s rpm tour, and is a fine gentleman! (see the forum thread on that)

While we’re at it, [ur=http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=15848]read the official wine.woot 2010 vintage report from PW. It’s posted in that red box to your right too, under “wine woot blog”!

I have two problems, one: my wife, two: my wife and the amount of wine I have on the shelves and stacked. And like you, I do not like the heated trucks delivering wine in the Houston area at 5 - 6 pm in the summer and the good wine being in the truck all day…and two days if they missed us and we are not at home…Ah the pain of making a decision…to pick this up and listening to my wife when they deliver it…Do I buy it or pass…that is the question…guess a good couple of bottles of wine last longer than hearing an ear full. Guess it time to put on the Woot purchased Zune…

I had the same question. My brother recently purchased some wines direct from them ('05 Victory and some Cabs) and their latest pricing sheet didn’t show the '06 Victory.

Aha, great! So, do you see this as a new-world, more accessible one, being from 06, rather than an “austere, wait for 10 years” one. Is it still a refined, restrained one? “Silky tannins” sounds like it’s a good early drinker, so riper than other years, and perhaps earlier-drinking. Being PW it’s obviously very tasty, and not overripe or overextracted, but I’m just wondering on its developent profile… :smiley:

Can you give us more of your impressions / opinions on where this stands in the “classic” stakes?

When Peter’s wine shows up, I just close my eyes and start pressing the big yellow button!!! His wines are instant buys. WD you’re killin’ me…getting close to 300 bottles.

Once this rain stops, I’ll have to invite the wine-sucking neighbors over for some good times.

My guess is that as he’d already done 2 woots and a least 2 wootoffs of the 05 vintage, he wanted to get another vintage out there. The 05 is one to keep… very austere and classic, so if you like your trad Bordeaux, the 05 will please you in about 5… or 15 years. I might keep mine for 20!

The pther thing is, they’ll be sellign the 05 til it mostly sells out, then onto the 06, rather than having both, as most consumers (daftly) want the “latest”! I prefer other people (with good cellars, that is) to age my wine for me!

I did my part, just don’t tell SWMBO

Haven’t tried the Victory, but with all the accolaides, I might go for it. Had several variatls of Wellington Zins, and the were fenominal. So aside from the same 2 problems LDD wrote, the temperature scares me a litte. But since I hae my orders going to my work, it usually arives by 10 am, so that is one hot truck I don’t need to worry about, just the ones coming across the US to Ohio. Hope Houston isn’t a FecEx station.

Was told not to buy any more reds but man is this ever tempting. So many auto-buy comments, I know I’m missing something if I don’t snag these!

We really are wine noobs (senior noobs, perhaps) and I’m not even completely sure we can fully appreciate a wine like this just yet. Not that such thoughts have stopped me from pulling the trigger in the past or anything.

I’m really looking forward to comparing the '05 and the '06 Victory Reserve. If you look at the makeup, you can definitely see how the '05 was designed for the long haul (Very Left Bank Bordeaux styling). The '06 looks to be a good blend across a variety of grapes (almost all of the “allowable” Bordeaux grapes) so I’m curious as to its longevity. I’m not sure I can wait on 2 bottles, but I’ll definitely keep one for 5-6 years to try again with my other '05s!

70% Handal-Denier Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Petit Verdot Shirley Vineyard, & 10% Estate Merlot

55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 17% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot, 10% Malbec, 8% Petit Verdot

Buy this wine!
I live in Atlanta, and I don’t buy wine with standard ground shipping once it gets over 80 here. However, wine.woot will begin “summer shipping” soon. They charge $2 more, but send it in refrigerated trucks. I will buy again once that starts, as it has worked well for me in the past.

Woot Off, Peter. and a Birthday Coupon. Just too hard to resist, in for two. I may have to look into digging a second level to my basement to store all my wine woots. Do you need planning permission if you go down?