PetSafe: Training Products & Feeder

my dog would starve to death with a bowl full of food if I never came home.

Looks like my dog isn’t the only one who would do that.

Back when my kitteh was still alive, I used to have a dual feeder. He was diabetic and had to have timed meals due to insulin shots, etc…

But he figured out that if he latched a claw under the lid and pulled up with some force, it would open. The latch on that bowl was just a tab on the timer that kept the lid from springing up.

Just a word of caution for anyone with intelligent (or just really gluttonous) animals :slight_smile:

“Alpha-discipline” is so outdated and has been proven to be completely illogical and inaccurate. you’re about 10 years behind the modern canine behavior community. [unimpressed and disgusted]

Not to mention the fact that shock collars are becoming illegal in countless countries. Eventually the USA will follow suit and decide not to be inhumane to our four legged friends.

Wa Wa Wa. Never will be illegal in U.S. You dont know what your talking about. Nothing more than static electricity type shock. Like walking across a carpet.

Damn - guess I can’t use it for my cat then…he’s chunky, gluttonous, intelligent only for food, and uses force when he wants it (i.e. beats me or my husband in the face with his paw for food or uses his weight to suffocate us while he sits on our chest and stares at us with dagger eyes and uses a smelly sandpaper tongue to get his way…).

This statement is so dumb that it’s hard to believe you know how to turn on a computer.

LOL!!! We have a really LOUD and hungry Siamese and thought we’d try one of these things and have it flip open in the morning for her so she wouldn’t wake us up. She broke into it. So my husband did some modifications. She STILL broke into it, this time by flipping it around with her nose. My husband anchored it to a very heavy piece of wood. She still got every crunchy nugget out of it, but started losing fur on her face…time to give up. I just stay up late to feed her now.

I love my remote collars. I use them frequently and have colleagues who do so as well with nothing but positive results.

These? I will NOT touch them with any length of pole, not even the invisible-fence style one.

If I’m going to even CONSIDER putting a remote collar on a dog, it’s going to be with something that’s a little more quality that allows more leeway than 7 levels. Sorry, but I prefer 127. And I’m MORE than willing to pay a lot more for collars that offer such versatility, including more features AND a non-electric pager function.

Innotek, Petsafe and any other rebranded Chinese imports have never impressed me. Look for Dogtra, Tritronics, or Educator (formerly Einstein) collars instead.

PetSafe, which has merged with Premier, has some other amazing things. I was hoping for a deal on a Scat Mat, but if these are all that’s going to be available, I’ll pass.

I used a citronella spray collar as part of my training regimen for my aggressive alpha male Great Dane rescue. It’s much more humane than a shock collar, and did a great job of breaking his concentration before he would go nuts at another dog. As soon as he would start to rumble low in his throat the collar would spritz him in the face with citronella scented spray. Dogs apparently don’t like that smell any more than mosquitoes do.

I’ve actually personally used a no bark shock collar on myself several times. I think most people have an opinion about them yet are unwilling to experience them first hand. Personally, I feel obligated to test myself prior to using something like this on an animal. That being said, the cheap shock collars are not painful (such as the 24dollar one here). After using it, It had no lasting effects. When it’s activated it sends out a small impulse at the level of the vocal cord in what I believe is it disrupting your voltage potentials for the muscles controlling the vocal cord. It really just kind of surprises you and you suddenly realize your fake bark became a noiseless exhale.

So would I use this on my dog? Maybe if the barking became such an issue that I was getting frequent complaints from others in my apartment, and I would likely use it if the apartment management began to threaten action. After all, which is worse: your dog being painlessly shocked to stop its barks (which is a form of reinforcement so that hopefully your dog stops barking so much) or your dog being surrendered to the shelter where it faces a fair chance at being euthanized after a very sad and lonely stay. I think I would prefer the first, not that I’ve ever had to make that unfortunate decision.

Just my thoughts.

The best way to avoid feeding problems with cats is to start good habits when they are kittens.

Feed them when you come home from work or when are preparing your own meal.

Feeding cats as soon as you wake up is the WORST possible time. They will wake you from your sleep to be fed.

Additionally, some cats get an energy boost after being fed. Feeding cats at bedtime can cause them to scurry in the night.

I am currently “owned” by 4 cats and 2 of which are Siamese. They hardly EVER meow. They chirp, but quietly. I attribute this rare attribute to establishing the firm afternoon (3:30pm-5pm) feeding regimen as kittens.

I love automatic gadgets…the Le Bistro is a drop-down feeding mechanism that specifies time and cups. The Pet Fountain is a great waterer. Cats love running water. And I would be lost without my two Littermaids.

I hope woot continues to offer these products as they provide convenience…but…I don’t believe these mechanisms should be an exclusive method of feeding because it denies the owner and pet of a crucial bonding experience. It also does provide a slight risk if you rely upon it as a sole method of feeding while vacationing. A failed machine = a ravenous pet!

I use all of those! My cat ripped the Bistro from the plug on the wall, and the food tray out trying to get food. We now bungee cord it to the bench in the hallway so he can’t move it, and have the tray taped and call it “Mochi’s ATM.” We use it when we go away but also have our neighbor stop by and give him food. He needs portion control as he was uh, “large” when we adopted him, and understand no portion control. He ONLY drinks running water (we found out after adoption when he’d knock his water bowl all over and THEN drink it). And love my boxes! All in all, great products and suggestions.

Electronic training collars are just a cop out for actually training your dog.

How about instead of shocking the crap out of your dog, take some time and work with them. Find a dog trainer, to help you learn.

Positive reinforcement works wonders.