Philips 1000-Watt 5.1 DVD Home Theater System with 1080p Upconversion

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
wooters.us - more than just a pretty face

Philips 1000-Watt 5.1 DVD Home Theater System with 1080p Upconversion [Refubished] - $119.99 + $5 shipping

1 * Philips HTS3372D DVD Home Theatre System w/1080p Upconversion, HDMI, DivX and iPod Dock

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Good deal…unless you’re holding out for blu-ray.

I have tested quite a few of the Philips Home Theater Systems and one thing I have noticed on the refurbs is the disc drive breaks real quick. Other than that they put out decent sound and the menus are ok to navigate (kinda slow though).

anyone have one of these? do u like it?

How does it compare to a high end system (like a Bose)? What I am asking is if there is really that much difference and would it be worth saving up for a high end system versus getting a lower end model like this one.

I found this review, but am still trying to find some others…
http://www.cybertheater.com/philips-dvd-home-theatre-hts3372d-review-compact-value/

How is the quality of sound compared to Sony and the like?

This might be a dumb question but this says it upconverts to 1080p. What if my TV is only capable of displaying images to 1080i? It can’t show it in 1080p, right?

I used to have an older model of this same system. It’s about what you’d expect for an entire DVD player and sound system for around $100 (I think I payed $200 or $300 at Wal-Mart 6 years ago).

I got several years of good use out of this in my undergrad years at college. Was good for a dorm, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re looking for a quality sound system.

To the poster who asked about how it compares with other systems like Bose, I pose to you the following question: can you find me even a pair of Bose home entertainment speakers (not PC speakers) for this price?

It can also upconvert to 720p, which is the other progressive HD standard. One of the two will work with your HDTV.

I already have an Oppo that upconverts and plays all regions. I just need the rest of the home theater in a box.

1080i is the upconvert of 1080p. 1080p has more pixels, 1080i is, to your visual eye, almost identical unless your tv is more than 46 inches. It will be compatible with your tv though.

If you’re going to save up then please don’t get Bose - you’ll get much better sound for your money by going with Polk, Klipsch, Energy, etc.

So do you only get 5.1 sound from DVDs and videos played on the machine? Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see any inputs that would allow me to get 5.1 sound from an external source like an xbox or blu ray player. Can anyone enlighten me?

The product homepage is at: Philips - United States | Philips

Seems like the price and the reviews are right.

The same refurb is $153 at Overstock and has an average user rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars. Granted, there are only 3 reviews.

You sir, do not know what you have done.
Hoping to stop the wave of anger and rage your post will cause, I answer you this:

Bose is an overpriced marketing company. Their name is annouced by the moaning and sheer rage of any home theater enthusiast in a 100 foot radius. Never mention their name and anything good about them in the same post on a Woot forum. You are not safe on Kids.Woot or Wine.Woot. You will be hunted and made to pay by the Woot Cabal. There are spies everywhere. Only my public posting of this message will save you and I…for now. Soon the people’s memories of this post will fade away and we will both be eliminated. The Woot Cabal never forgets.

That is all. You are now a smarter and stronger man. You will learn from this experience to never derive an opinion about a product’s quality from high production, long commercials.

I have an older version of this I bought refurbed and it’s very quirky. Won’t get started sometimes, I have to turn it on and off a bunch. I love the sound and convenience of the all in one but the refurb part sucks. I am usually one to buy refurbs but this along with the quirky 50" Philps plasma I have - I’m afraid of this brand now, especially as refurb.

This is the same model as their Philips HTS3371D/F7 with the exception of a very minor cosmetic difference (the **1 has an all black glossy front while the **2 has a more gray tone).

The Philips HTS3371D very positive reviews on Amazon and according to Wal-Mart, 55 of 57 (96%) customers would recommend this product to a friend…

in for one!

Thanks. I do have a Hitachi 50" HDTV but it’s a few years old; hence, no 1080p. I did find a little info on the differences. Hope it helps someone else out.

1080i and 1080p are both High Definition display formats for HDTVs. 1080i and 1080p signals actually contain the same information. Both 1080i and 1080p represent a 1920x1080 pixel resolution (1,920 pixels across the screen by 1,080 pixels down the screen). The difference between 1080i and 1080p is in the way the signal is sent from a source component or displayed on an HDTV screen.

In 1080i each frame of video is sent or displayed in alternative fields. The fields in 1080i are composed of 540 rows of pixels or lines of pixels running from the top to the bottom of the screen, with the odd fields displayed first and the even fields displayed second. Together, both fields create a full frame, made up of all 1,080 pixel rows or lines, every 30th of a second.

In 1080p, each frame of video is sent or displayed progressively. This means that both the odd and even fields (all 1,080 pixel rows or pixel lines) that make up the full frame are displayed together. This results in a smoother looking image, with less motion artifacts and jagged edges.