Philips 1000-Watt 5.1 DVD Home Theater System with 1080p Upconversion

Avoid this deal. You’ll be getting one of the two that broke and I had to return this past Christmas.

The one I have now has trouble with complicated DVD menus and locks up. The two that broke stopped playing DVDs in days.

No. It does not play video from the I pod.

Is this a powered subwoofer?

I have PART of this model. About two years ago I bought a Philips surround sound unit at Target and right before the warranty was up, the dvd player/amp unit went haywire. Within 10 minutes on a Saturday on the phone with an American in Georgia, I had replacement unit being shipped to me. That’s pretty darn good customer service.

When the replacement arrived, it was actually this model. It is small, nice, and works well. It is not the same as an expensive sound system, but it is a heck of a lot better than just TV speakers.

My dad recently bought a 50" plasma and got a free Samsung Surround sound unit/upconverter with it. The sound was not nearly as good as this model, and it even came with a microphone to set the right levels… As far as a cheap surround sound, I’d rather spend $120 on this than something random like k-tec or something.

I really enjoy this Philips model. We use it every day, and tv sounds horrible without it!

Good luck!
:slight_smile:

Subwoofer type: Passive

This means that the amp for the subwoofer is in the main unit…

Purchased this same system in a previous wooting. I have had no problems with it at all. It’s a big improvement over some computer speakers I had hooked to the TV before. Don’t expect the same quality as a $1000 sound system but it’s a really great system for the price. I would definitely buy it again.

I have to say… that is the cleanest, straightest looking box I’ve ever seen on woot. Usually, the boxes in the pictures look more refurbished than the product!!!

[384x283

http://sale.images.woot.com/CE02121C_specs8.jpg[/img]](http://sale.images.woot.com/CE02121C_specs8.jpg)

[Mod: Sized photo]

Every Philips device I’ve owned has been terrible. I would steer clear of that brand.

I got this a few months ago. the first one died but phillips promptly sent me a replacment. The upconversion is really nice and the sound is good also. Very good buy for the price. I still have some minor tweeking to do but i’m satisfied.

Wife and I bought this when it was last on woot. We love it. I was very surprised when i discovered that it plays .avi

I’m in the same boat… bought it last time around and now I’m getting that high-pitch noise… I’ve just been unplugging it when I’m not using it… kind of a bother…

I didn’t even think to call about the warranty! duh! Thanks for the thought!

Other than that tho, I’m happy with it… Great volume/surround on TV and PS3… DVDs look great… It even remembers where you were in the movie, so you can just hit the Disc button and start playing your movie where you left off!

It seems the high-pitch noise is hit n miss, so take a chance… maybe you’ll get one of the good ones!

yeah, I just cut and spliced to add more cable and run it under the floor and/or through the walls.

Bought one from walmart.com 2 weeks ago, paid over $200.00 after shipping.

@ $120 + 5 to ship, you had better grab it! I have a couple 16 gig thumb drives which will store several movies. They plug right into the little USB port located conveniently on the face of the unit. So far the thing has worked flawlessly.

the 5.1 surround makes the DVDs ROCK!!!

How would I hook this up to listen to normal cable TV?

Might someone know how long the speaker wires are? I’ve got a fairly sizable room in mind for this, and this is almost a lock if I don’t have to splice any wires.

I’ve got the model right before this one and I think it’s great. Could use a little more low end coming out of the sub… but for a “Home Theater in a Box” it works great!

Does this charge the iPod?

According to this user manual (PDF): “While in iPod mode, the battery of your iPod will be charged.”

I bought this almost a year ago, I think, and I’m still very happy with it. It charges the iPod – but what I don’t like about using it with my iPod is if you hit forward to go to the next song, it cuts off the first 1-2 seconds of the song. Or maybe it’s the first song it plays it cuts off the first 2 seconds. I don’t remember, it’s been a while since I used my iPod with it. Other than that, the picture quality is good and the sound quality is good.

so does anyone know if it will play PAL?