Philips 1080p 42” LCD HDTV

That would be a statement some random guy wrote with nothing saying why he wrote it.

I am with the bulk of the reviews on this product and think its a “good” buy.

Its not like this is a new model its been around the block and its a proven model.

I bought this when they had it up back at the end of 2009 when it was $100 more. Good tv, haven’t had any real problems with it yet for everyday use. The 60hz will be bothersome for some of you picky viewers. Like watching football on ESPN, you’ll definitely be able to notice quality issues in HD. I won’t completely blame it on the tv…maybe its the Time Warner? who knows. Also I noticed the HDMI input audio hasn’t been working.

Also, this TV is great for watching youtube and hulu.com!

Refurbished Philips products should be avoided like the plague. Unless things have changed they will NOT take returns - they direct you to a repair shop to fix any issues. I got a LCD TV from them a few years back that was grainy as all get out, and they pretty much told me to take a hike.

So, enjoy your refurb.

Have you ever heard the horror story’s about someone buying a “BRAND NEW” TV and it stops working after 5 minutes! Well this happened to us with this same TV! We exchanged it and thus far have had no issues, its has wonderful color, and sound. I would say its well worth the money, seeing I would assume that whatever issues the one we bought had, was fixed, and now here it is on woot, for you to buy!

But you must remember, the broken part has been fixed and has been tested, so you know that it wont break (at least from its previous problem)!

Not to mention how easy it is on a Mac. And it’s monitor, not ‘‘moniter’’ :slight_smile:

I have this TV, love it. Bought it new from Sam’s, paid $598. It’s huge!! No trouble hooking up the connections, great picture. Does kinda take 2 people to set up, because it’s not light, and is quite bulky.

Wall mounts are not included, but directions to set up as wall-mounted are included.

I have a Blu-ray and a cablebox/DVR connected with HDMI cables. There are a lot of connection variations listed in the user guide.

Cheers!

I have a 42 inch CRT TV. It is starting to die. I am happy with its size when watching movies and the news.
What size should I get with the HD letter box ratio to get the same look or size of pictures in a moview? I know that bigger is better, but I prefer a bigger bank account. LED? LCD? Plasma?
Thanks

+refurbished? good price but no thanks, need more than 60Hz now.

I got this TV from Woot! back in October for $580. Even though it was a refurb, my set was completely pristine. The picture looks great and the sound is a lot better than I had expected. I have had no problems with the set. At $500, this is a steal.

My roommate bought this TV at Walmart for close to $700…We loved it until it got stolen over christmas break :frowning:

Cnet review

Yes its only 60 hz if you need more than that don’t buy this one.

However i think this would be a good product in many homes.

Manual & stuff

edit: the manual link seems to be flaky, so here’s
another

If Blake’s 7 ever comes back, then maybe I would take a more serious look at these T.V.s Until then though, I’ll pass.

Bought it here, watching it now, great value! Great television…Hit the big yellowish, candy like button.

It’s not all bad at cnet

Retrevo links

HDTV Review

The image that’s chopped onto the product on the w00t.com homepage, is of people costumed as the characters from the CBS Saturday morning cartoon: “Dungeons & Dragons”. It ran from 1983 thru 1985.

imDb.com link

Amazon.com link

It featured the voices of:

Willie Aames (Tommy - Eight is Enough; Bibleman) as Hank the Ranger.

Donny Most (Ralph - Happy Days) as Eric the Cavalier

Adam Rich (Nicholas - Eight is Enough) as Presto the Magician.

and

Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime - Transformers cartoon AND movie; Eeyore - Winnie the Pooh cartoons) as Venger.

If I am reading this right, this is only a 60 Hz LCD TV, not a ‘standard’ 120Hz or 240Hz TV, correct?

If so, I wouldn’t suggest this for Sports Watching or Video gaming.