Philips 1080p Upconverting DVD Player w/DivX & HDMI

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
wooters.us: who needs a chat room?

Philips 1080p Upconverting DVD Player w/DivX & HDMI [Refurbished] - $24.99 + $5 shipping

1 * Philips DVP3982/F7 1080p Upconverting DVD Player w/DivX Playback and HDMI out

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Ah, but is there a multi-region hack?

Got one of these in a BOC. It works great, but don’t expect top of the line, obviously. I have it hooked up in the kids room.

Product website with FAQ, MANUAL, firmware updates.

Direct link to manual

Works well - I give the upconverting a 7.5 out of ten. Does the job, but can’t match some blu-ray players upconversions. Still though, can’t go wrong for that price.

Needed an extra for the TV in the bedroom, this looks perfect for occasional watching.

Wooted!

i have personally bought these before, i love them, my sister loves them, and my cousins love theirs. this is an item that deserves to be shown frequently on woot!!!

bought this last time and it worked great for about one month then quit

yes yes there is Philips DVP3960 region code - VideoHelp

Yes VideoHelp

Yup. Returned for exchange after first unit arrived DOA. Replacement quit after a month. No more for me!!

I’ve bought a few of these for the kids room, they last 6-12 months under HEAVY use (almost continuous operation).

They are incredibly easy to convert to region free.
Press “Setup”
Scroll to “Preference page” using the Left/Right arrow key
Press “138931? and a popup screen will appear
Use the Up arrow key and select 0 for a region free DVD player.

For a few bucks more ($41.95), I would go for one of these instead:

Philips DVP5990/F7 DVD Player with 1080p HDMI Upconversion and DivX

The USB port is really slick! Plug in a drive and you can watch/listen to media files.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5990-F7-Player-Upconversion/dp/B001VICORW/ref=pd_cp_e_0

For this price, you can have one player per region.

If you have a 720P TV, it makes no sense to buy a blu-ray player. This is exactly what you need and the price can’t be beat.

Divx is nice for watching those downloaded videos without converting to DVD first!

got mine here. using it right now. sucks. remote is like a dollar toy. hdmi quit after 2 days. now have to use component. menu functions weird. If you want to go back scenes you have to go to the menu because using the remote will only allow you to go back to the beginning of the current scene. might see if I can still return mine. Have a 25lb apex brand player I got at walmart 11 years ago for 250$ that still outperforms this on picture quality.

I like to rip movies to avi (this player reads divx and xvid) that way I can put 6 movies on one disc for my kids and keep the originals put up.

I bought 3962 pretty much exactly a year ago. It still holds up. Took a crap at one point, but if you unplug it for a while, it’ll work its stuff out.

It is a bit slow to get going, i turn on the player first, then the tv, then wait a little bit, then i can eject the dvd.

It’s cool because it remembers where you left off in most videos, even if you play another video after it.

It looks good on my Phillips 1080p (from woot also), with standard component connection and mildly better with HDMI input.

Nothing SPECTACULAR! but will play dvds for sure.