Philips 1080p Upconverting DVD Player w/DivX & HDMI

Previous Woot

dont buy this spend the extra 20-40 dolors and get something good. i got this for my parents last time and it lasted between 4-5 moths before quiting very disapointed

Product Website

Previous woot-off sale-February 24, 2010:

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3804928

i also think that if you do buy this make sure not to let it get to hot and turn it off when not in use to prolong the life of this

On the positive side, this is $5 less than last time.

I’m so sorry, Woot Writer, that you had to move away from Texas. You are always welcome back here! We’ll greet you with friendliness and a smile, and of course we will share our power outlets with you.
Your writing is wonderful…you make me want to buy a DVD player (and many other things) that I don’t need. Keep up the good work and thanks for making so many people smile!

is there a screen on the front of the unit that indicates such things as track number?

And do you notice how the price has come down by $5 each time it’s been sold (at least that I can see)? $29.99 in October (Nightghost noted above), $24.99 last February, and now $19.99 (as MWPollard noted above). Hmmmm, wonder why,… Even if it doesn’t last long, this is getting close to the disposable price range, so to speak.

Review at cnet

and testfreaks

And of course the obligatory 2.5 stars/# of bad reviews and $37.88 starting refurbished price from the mothership (yes, it’s cheap there, but the sellers’ shipping costs are the issue for the refurbished-included in the $37.88 above). New realistically at $50.88 to start (including the shipping):

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP3982-1080p-HDMI-Player/dp/B001EN8XW4

Yes, a green-digit display. See the picture here; this isn’t a good angle of the display, but it’s something.

It’s a rare product on Amazon that manages to get an absolute majority of reviewers to say that it’s a piece of crap.

On the Cnet link above, it’s got an average 1/2 star.

And NewEgg $39.98 with shipping added in, and the usual 1 five star (“hey, it’s cheap”) and 1 two star (unimpressed) refurbished:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882641334

Here’s the Product Sheet

and the manual.

Maybe I got the only good one in the batch but I’ve been using one of these for close to a year and haven’t had any problems with it. I don’t have it hooked up to an HD TV or anything, but it gets the job done. Plus, I leave it on all night since I can’t sleep without the TV on and put in a DVD before sleeping. Usually BASEketball or something, but I digest…

I guess what I’m trying to say is if you need a usable secondary DVD player, go for it. Especially at this price!

Would be nice if it atleast had 1 USB port. It’s annoying burning DivX videos to dvd.

Rather wait for a DivX HD certified model so it will support mkv formats.

From the comments on testfreaks, it seems that it would be a good idea to take advantage of the firmware upgrade(s?) provided by Philips to improve the unit’s performance.

Here is the support page for this model.

EDIT: Just noticed that the support page link above is the same link provided by NightGhost as “Product Website” - you can dl the manual, owner’s guide and look for updates from the links on this page.