Philips 32” 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

you said Bezel, lol

The 120Hz mode fabricates a frame in between the two normal 60 Hz frames. That fabrications takes time. You also need the next frame(s) in memory before you can create the fabricated one

60 Hz frames:
1 _ 2 _ 3 _ 4

120 Hz frames:
1 a 2 b 3 c 4

You get extra frames a, b, & c created by the TV. The problem is that frame “2” has to happen before you can make frame “a”. Which means you’re past frame “2” before you even display frame “a”.

And the algorithms may even use frame 2, 3, & 4 or more to create frame “a”. And those algorithms take time to compute. And then everything in the TV has to sync to that delay like sound, etc.

For gaming, the TV would have to bypass its normal 120 Hz algorithms and display directly and then sync to this new timing scheme. That’s probably a little extra hardware and cost.

As much as I like 720p’s more frames over 1080i, by my recent shopping 720p is essentially dead even under 32".

So it won’t be long before things stop getting transmitted in 720p and you end up with fewer frames anyway and an interpolated down image taking away from 720p’s advantage

Here’s the full article (which I just posted on the main Woot site before I came here), in which Carlton concludes that it does make a difference, depending on your viewing distance.

“If you are a videophile with a properly setup viewing room, you should definitely be able to notice the resolution enhancement that 1080p brings. However, if you are an average consumer with a flat panel on the far wall of your family room, you are not likely to be close enough to notice any advantage.”

Absent of the premises, conclusions are often useless. Missing in your conclusion is the data that leads to his conclusion. If you look at his chart an individual with 20/20 vision would have to be sitting 2.5-3 ft away from the monitor. At 4 ft the difference between 720 and 1080 is indistinguishable.

However, there are other reasons to pick this tv over the 720 model. Newer technology (panels keep on improving over time), much better contrast ratio (that is very visible and affects the viewing pleasure of any films or shows with relative (e.g evening, dark room, etc.) dark scenes, faster screen (120HZ, 2 ms) which should look better with sports.

Response time is different that Input lag. Response time is the amount of time it takes for a pixel to change from one color to the next (Usually measured as Grey to Grey, because it’s faster then on-off)

Input lag is the amount of time a signal takes to be processed by all of the TV’s filters and be shown on screen.

The response time is just the pixel lag, input lag is all the components of the TV.

Plus the sellout version states playback of JPEG Still pictures, DivX 3.11, DivX 5, MPEG2, XviD, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC through USB

It wasn’t my conclusion - it was quoted from Carlton’s article (unless you are referring to the line I wrote, but which you didn’t quote). In any case I linked to the entire article. I posted only his conclusion to save space.

You must have misread the charts. At 32", you start to see the benefit of 1080p at just over 5 feet.

the August 30th WOOT was way better than this, and cheaper.

37inch SANYO, 1080p, etc… for $350

No a sanyo is a cheaper TV to begin with they use overstock and refurb and factory defects to make their TV’s in the first place. Phillips while not the best by any stretch is still a ton better than a sanyo.

My friend bought that deal and he hasn’t had any complaints… yet. Though, if I were to have caught that deal, I would have picked it up too. I ended up buying this one after all.

So, when will these be shipped?

Still waiting for a ship date. What is happening?

If anybody gets a shipping update on the Philips TV please post. I have emailed customer service at Woot but there has been no response.

Waiting for shipment confirmation as well.

Also waiting for shipment. Anyone hear from customer service?

It shipped today!!

Just got status update, it appears to have actually shipped on the 16th, and is currently in SLC for me. Just one more day!

I just got this tv and hooked it up. In the end you were completely right, this tv is terrible for gaming. Now I will have to go through the whole dreadful process of returning it.

Shipping Update

Philips 32” 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV has completely shipped via UPS GROUND. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number in the ‘my account’ section by clicking on the order.