Philips 32” 720p LCD HDTV

surprised no one is complaining about the 60 hz…

YUP!
this thing would be sweet pc monitor if it was only 1080p.

I’m viewing this on my 23" monitor in glorious 1080p…guess I need to wait longer to upgrade. :frowning:

This Christmas I bought my son a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV brand NEW not refurbised for the same price. Not a good deal.

There are 49 other States, choose another one.

Note: Bought during the Christmas season…

Don’t choose NY taxes are as bad, staate budget as bad and we have carpier weather.

Been burned too many times by Philips. I honestly don’t know how they are still considered a reputable company.

Didn’t know they WERE still reputable.

I’ve been burned also by Philips - their products will never be in my house again.

No. They all break.

You raise a good point, I didn’t consider the sales tax, which is fairly high here in Arizona as well. That’d be another $27 or so right there.

I pay for most stuff with my Paypal debit so I get 1% of the purchase back which helps. Doesn’t work on Woot though since I don’t sign for the purchase.

Buy it for $325 from Woots parent company brand new, one year warranty, notax for CA and no recycle fee…delivered within 5 days. Not too bad.

I got this same TV 1 year ago here. I have no complaints from it so far. I use for my PS3, Cable TV, and as a second screen for my Mac Book Pro when recording a DJ session with Serato or Traktor on my Mac’s display and Logic displayed on the TV. Adjust the display settings and it looks good. It actually looks pretty cool seeing Logic on its own display, and pretty clear I might add. Everything is hooked up via HDMI. I even watch movies and tv shows on this tv coming from my mac. It was a good deal 1 year ago for $300+shipping and it’s a good deal now for this price.

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.pdf
Unless you live in Oregon, Alaska, New Hamshire, Montana or Deleware, your getting hit with tax. Not as much as California’s, but it still needs to be factored in. So it’s ~$18 extra if you have no patience and need your new TV faster.

I’m just saying, the $18 your saving can go towards about half of the Square Trade insurance, which will probably be better than the coverage you get from Walmart or Costco.

I think you are confused a little. Dynamic contrast ratio is not a feature and can not be turned off. Dynamic Contrast Ratio is simply a marketing statistic stating that the tv is capable of producing X:1 total shades of grey (from black to white). It does not take into account how many shades it can display simultaneously, which will vary greatly depending on the amount of brightness of a scene.

The effect you observe of the screen dimming on dark scenes and getting brighter on bright ones is not because of a dynamic contrast ratio feature, its just an effect of a lesser quality display.

ANSI contrast ratio is a more accurate statistic which measures the simultaneous shades of black to white on set test patterns and controlled lighting conditions. Published ANSI contrast ratios are usually MUCH lower (a display may state 25000:1 Dynamic but only measure 300:1 ANSI, for instance), which is why marketing like to use the dynamic contrast ratios.

-GG

EDIT: This TV also has the ‘ambient brightness adjustment’ which you may be confusing with dynamic contrast ratio. In a room that needs less back-light, a display should produce a better contrast (less blown out by the whites). This may be the features you are talking about turning off.

Is this a better deal for $300?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038JED6M/?tag=dealswoot-20

You mean to tell me i can buy the same TV from the same company(Amazon) for $60.01 more? AWESOME! Where do i sign?

Wait a minute…

Pardon me sir, but I know what I have an irrational hatred for. I know that contrast ratio has to do with the difference between blacks and whites in a given scene and that the panel will dim its back-light dynamically to achieve a darker black.

From Home Theater Guide:

"Dynamic contrast refers to the maximum ratio between the deepest blacks a display can show and the brightest whites it can handle over its entire operational range but not at the same time. A display device will never be able to handle these two extremes simultaneously.

Dynamic contrast uses a processor inside the display to analyze the average, overall picture brightness and adjusts the backlight level on-the-fly. This helps render deeper blacks in predominantly dark scenes and brighter whites in mostly bright picture content. When done properly, dynamic contrast can give the impression of higher contrast ratios and solid black levels; done poorly, it can crush black to the point of losing shadow detail."

So, I HATE it when a panel dims itself to try and create those darker blacks.

If you’re looking to move and want to avoid the BS taxes, keep in mind: Oregon has no sales tax, Washington has no income tax. I know we weren’t talking about income tax but bear with me.

If you want the best of both worlds, move to Southern Washington (e.g. Vancouver) and do your shopping across the river in Oregon (e.g. Portland). No income tax. No sales tax. You still have to deal with the crazy lefties but at least you’re not getting tax raped at the same time.

Oh, and that’s assuming you can find a job in Washington. Might want to secure that before you move…

Yup, I have to agree. I got this Woot last year for $300 + shipping (still, a pretty good price, but now even better), and placed it in the basement for my little kids to use (the older ones will shanghai the television in the master bedroom, hogging it from the other kids.) The end result is happier little kids. The downside is that now the basement is routinely trashed with leftovers, popcorn and used dishes. Frankly, the little kids watch this TV from way too close (less than 10 feet away, and usually less than half that distance). However, to them, it’s better than a movie theater: They can drink all of the soda, eat all the popcorn, and have whatever foods they want without having to pay for it like they would in a movie theater. Frankly, even the adults can’t tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p image with the size of this screen. And it sure beats the old cathode ray tube TV (which I believe is 480i) that they had access to.

Frankly, if it weren’t for the fact that I don’t need another television set in the house right now, I’d snap up a couple more of these at this price.

Although I posted this before, it was deleted. So I will post it again. WOOT use to allow these post but I guess they no longer can handle the competition.
If you want a NEW with full one year warranty 32" TV you can buy this Toshiba for $299.99 from AMAzon, posted on dealnews
Amazon.com offers the Toshiba 32" 720p Widescreen LCD HD Television, model no. 32C100U, for $299.99 with free shipping.
OR if you want 1080P try this one

$300

• free shipping
    Auria 32" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV for $300 + free shipping
    newegg.com offers the Auria 32" 1080p Widescreen LCD HD Television, model no. EQ3266e, for $299.99 with free shipping
    OR
    $300
    New: Panasonic 32" 720p Widescreen LCD HDTV for $300
    Best Buy offers the Panasonic VIERA 32" 720p Widescreen LCD HD Television, model no. TC-L32C22, for $299.99. Shipping adds $36.46, or choose free in-store pickup. Even with shipping, that’s the lowest total price we could find by $16, although it was $23 less a month ago (since expired). Sales tax is added where applicable. It features a native resolution of 1366x768 (720p), 18,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, two HDMI inputs, and VGA, component, and other video inputs.