Philips 32” 720p LCD HDTV

I have a refurbished 32PFL3505D (this is 32PFL3506D) in my bedroom. There seems to be little difference (I don’t think I have what they’re calling Setup Assistant). I’m very pleased with it.

I’m feeding it the secondary TV output from my Dish ViP711, which is only 480p (not HD), and the Philips does a good job of upscaling it. When I use the over-the-air tuner, I get excellent HD picture quality.

I’ve had it about 8 months, and have no complaints. The remote is OK, but I primarily use my second Dish remote anyway.

If you’re looking for a good bedroom or other secondary use TV, this one will most likely make you very happy. I doubt if you can do better for anywhere near the price.

I picked up a off brand from Amazon for 250.00 and brand new.

It has good reviews and a good picture.

FWIW

Thank you! I’ve been hearing all this nonsense and didn’t know what to make of the refresh rate. I’msure my Sanyo is 60Hz as well.

Oh, and for the benefit of the people who focus on numbers without any real understanding of their significance, it’s been empirically proven that you can’t tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 32" or 37" TV at any reasonable viewing distance.

The vast majority of people can’t tell the difference on a 42" TV. You have to go to a 46" or 50/52" TV before you’re likely to see any benefit from 1080i/p resolution.

Agreed. I had a Phillips Avent baby video monitor that died after 3 months of use (well within warranty). I spoke to a live, competent person within five minutes of calling (that was based in the US). Phillips sent me a brand new replacement, which I received the next day. They also did not even ask for a credit card to make the swap.

I bought one of these about a year and a half ago from Woot for my dorm and it has been an excellent addition. I believe it was the same price then.

The picture is pretty solid and the onboard sound is not bad for a tv. 3 HMDI, plus Component and Composite have been boons as well.

I did have some technical issues where the speakers cut out once in a while for half an hour or so. I believe this was likely the reason it was sent back the first time, and quick testing might not have revealed the flaw.
The RCA outputs out the back always worked, however, so this was not a problem for me.
However, if you find yourself living in a house with people who don’t understand why they need to turn on speakers separately from the TV, they might not appreciate this kind of problem (#My_Roommate’s_Girlfriend).

1080p Does Matter – Here’s When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution)
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

Image Link

It depends on where, and what for, you’re going to use the TV. For a larger room home entertainment setup this TV probably isn’t the best, but it’s also a 32 inch TV, not a monster 50+ inch. You have to take into account how far away from the TV you’re actually going to be sitting to determine if 1080 will actually give you any noticeable improvement over 720. Also, there could be a completely different conversation centered around the source of the video you’re going to be playing.

I know that for my purposes, this TV would most likely end up being used as a second monitor for my computer with the sole purpose of playing TV & movies. I rent and have roommates, so I watch a lot of media in my room, which isn’t exactly Madison Square Garden. A 32 inch display would give me a nice increase in physical viewing size which is nice for when I want to sit farther away across the room.

My current 22 inch monitor has a nice resolution (1680x1050) for doing computer stuff. The screen real estate is great for browsing and having multiple programs open, but I don’t really see any benefit from watching video in 1080 versus 720, with equal quality encodes from the same source.

It really depends upon what you intend to use this TV for. I’d say for the 32 inch size of this display, the 720 resolution will probably be more than adequate for many people.

From the datasheet posted by jasonking0351:

“Screen Format Adjustments: 4:3, 16:9, Normal,
Zoom, Full, Movie Expand, Wide, unscaled (dot by
dot)

It seems that you can preserve the aspect ratio, however what I would like to know is if the “dot by dot” option applies to all inputs, or if it is limited to only certain ones. Brief google searching didn’t turn up anything for this display specifically, but did show that some other TVs only have the unscaled option for HDMI or PC inputs.

If it was new and/or 1080p I’d be all over it… the fact that you only get a 90 day warranty kills the deal for me…

I have 2 hi def TVs that are hooked up to regular old rabbit ears just like from the 70s via coaxial cable. They work fine and I pull in about 21 channels, such as NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, etc. All the major networks broadcast in HD and the picture is fantastic, FOR FREE without a digital converter box that’s required for old TVs. I don’t see any reason this TV wouldn’t as well.

The 32 inch Phillips that I bought last here last November from WOOT had to be returned twice both with power on problems. Customer service was OK.

I did get 3 other 19 inch Phiilips here and 2 of 3 had power problems soon after warranty expires. BEWARE!

NO MORE PHILLIPS FOR ME THANK YOU.

I am going to have to pass on this one. What can be considered “old school” LCD, and a refurb, this shouldn’t be running any more than $199.

I got this the last time it was on here and I’d recommend it. The only caveat is that the HDMI ports don’t have separate audio in, so if you have a mac you have to use external speakers. That’s apple’s fault, not philips’, but it’s there. Good tv though.

It’s Philips, by the way. One L. Helps when researching this product with online searches.

I would pass on this. The refresh rate is only 60hz, and tv’s are drastically reduced right now. How long is a refurb warranty?

the same TV is at Target, NOT refurbished, for the same price.

What difference doesit make?

Purchased this exact set last fall for my patio on Best Buy’s eBay site for $270.00. Great looking television with even better picture.

Picked up one of these the last time they were on Woot…GREAT TV, been very happy.

I will NEVER and I mean NEV-ER buy anything made by Philips due to the amount of refurbs you see. And this is coming from someone who bought two Dynex 32" LCD TV’s from Best Buy this Christmas. The $200 Dynex surprisingly comes highly rated, with little complaints by customers and I even bought a 3 year service plan just in case.