Philips 39” or 40" 1080p LED TV w/NetTV

Refresh Rate:

Unfortunately virtually all TV brands play games with refresh rate claims.

Any claimed refresh rates above 60Hz are typically at least doubled vs the actual rate.

The refresh rate of the display panel used inside the TV is what matters. Brands then add tricks on top of that to simulate higher refresh rates. Sometimes it is via video processing and other times it is via backlighting tricks, or both.

So any time your see ‘modifiers’ next to the refresh rate like ‘PMR’ (in this case) or ‘Effective’ or ‘Clearmotion’, etc… it tells you to look deeper for the actual rate.

Some people notice the effects of these tricks and turn them off. (If possible.)

Purists want the actual display panel used in the TV to be at least 120Hz. Those panels are a lot more expensive.

If you watch TV and Movies, 60Hz (This TV) is fine and other aspects of the TV become more important.

Gamers and sports fans might want something with more than 60Hz.

These sets are rated at 120Hz PMR (Perfect Motion Rate). This technology uses a combination of an intelligent scanning backlight and video processor.
It inserts black frames using the scanning backlight which dramatically reduces the GTG (grey-to-grey) response time of the panel. The increased response time results in smoother motion without smearing artifacts.

So, “both”.

I don’t believe that CNET page is for any of these models, that is reviewing an LCD not an LED TV and the model numbers are completely different.

Bought the 39" during the November woot-off as a Christmas present. Opened and powered the TV on when it was received in early December, and nothing appeared to be wrong, but we didn’t go through the whole setup process (basically, just saw the Philips logo come on, since other Woot members mentioned that their TVs didn’t even power on). Christmas day arrived and the gift was unwrapped and set up. After ~1 hour, we noticed a ~2x4 liquid shadow in the middle of the screen. It was only noticeable with certain colors as one would expect. Contacted Woot to determine who I should contact at Philips. The support process was relatively easy. Philips agreed to replace the TV since it was still under the 90 day warranty, and I expect to receive the TV this week.

Wowzers! Where did you find a 43’ Samsung plasma for under $400? Only ones I could find at that price are around $37K. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can someone speak to the ability to use Amazon Prime to stream videos with this T.V. please? Thanks!

I bought this TV in a woot off a couple of months ago (the 39 inch model) and it worked just fine out of the box, no issues with the screen or anything like that.

it is 90 days but you can get an extended on either model for 1 year for $45-55

I highly recommend looking at this http://sellout.woot.com/plus/home-theater-add-ons

Sorry, it’s unlikely for now at least, Philips isn’t on their list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Purchased this TV last time it was on here, the speakers are crap. You will need a sound bar or surround sound.

Purchased this TV last time it was on here, the speakers are crap because the sound is__________. You will need a sound bar or surround sound if you want ________.

Fill in the blanks and insert your age.

A young audiophile home theater fan is different from some old guy who just wants to watch TV and movies.

@radi0j0hn, you don’t indicate whether you own this TV but we have Panasonic and Samsung TVs. The speakers in all of them are pretty horrible, and would be even for a non-“audiophile”. It isn’t simply that they don’t sound good - they do a poor job of conveying most of the audio content even in a bad manner.

@chipryan’s advice is ‘sound’ for most contemporary TVs - the addition of a sound bar or surround sound system is a good idea.

I have a 32 inch Phillips that I bought almost 5 years ago, and have been using it as my computer monitor ever since. It has a computer mode that allows the colors to be correct as a computer monitor. Anyone have any idea how well these would work for the same application?

@albanyjones, I can’t speak specifically to these Philips TV models but I’m using a 40 inch Samsung TV hooked up via HDMI as an extended desktop right now. It works great - especially for multimedia content. But I don’t think I’d like living solely on it as the primary monitor.

I bought this TV and the screen is broken right out the box. I contacted woot still no response its been a week tomorrow. I have used this site before now I’m not so sure anymore.

I’m sorry for the delayed response. I’ll email CS to let them know of your concerns. Thank you for your patience.

I’m actually having the same issue, over a week without a response from CS. Starting to get upset.

Sorry about that. I’ll email CS to see what I can find out.