Philips 3D Blu-ray Player w/Apps & Wi-Fi

Even if the hack doesn’t work, it’s still a good fit for me. I need a player for my room, and I’ve had excellent service from my last one.

The region free hack worked for me on my current one, the BDP2985/F7N. I am definitely going to try it on the new one.

I got the player on Tuesday. Unlike my last one, this player arrived in a plain brown box with the Philips logo on it. The unit was in one plastic bag and the manuals and remote were in another. There were no batteries included for the remote.

I hooked up to my Seiki TV with HDMI and to my FiOS router with CAT5. Setup was as straightforward as my previous player, the Philips BDP2985/F7N. Unlike my old player, the front bezel is thin, with just enough room to accommodate the tray, power and eject buttons, and the USB port.

Wired network setup is a snap, just plug in, and then let the device acquire an address from the network setup screen. I checked first thing for an update, and this player appears to have a later version of the firmware than my old one.

The apps included here are YouTube, Netflix, VuDu, Pandora Radio, Picasa, and AccuWeather. AccuWeather is great as, once it’s set up, it adds the current time and temp to the home screen.

Netflix setup on this player does not require going to a computer to activate the device, just log in to your account on screen. The YouTube app is the same as on all other devices, you have the ability to pair and to log in using the YouTube site on a PC or mobile device. All AccuWeather does is ask for your location and you can add more if you like. I didn’t play with any of the other apps.

The region free hack previously mentioned here on the forum worked for my old player and this player. I have a Region 2 copy of Space Firebird 2772 and my daughter has a Region 2 box set of all of the Transformers shows up to a certain point and everything we put in played fine.

Picture quality on this player is top notch. Blu-rays with BD Live load quickly and menu access is responsive. For the money, this is an excellent player with good online capability.