Philips 42” 1080p LCD TV

seriously, I know this is nub. But what does re-certified mean?
Will it come in original factory box with manuals?

MAN! I totally wish I didn’t have to buy gas this week!!! I would love one of these, but I just can’t afford even the good price they offer here. Maybe next time.

I’ve had this TV for nearly 5-6 months, and I have had no problems with it.

“Recertified” means it was refurbished by the manufacturer, so it should come in the original box with manuals, etc.

reviews are pretty tough to find on this one… but Philips with one ‘L’ is always been good to me.

I’ve had this TV for nearly 5-6 months, and I have had no problems with it. No dead pixels or anything. :slight_smile:

I used to sell this exact model where I work. The picture quality was subpar when compared to other brands. Even the Westinghouse models had better picture quality. Also, Philips uses a different color base for their LCD televisions. If you do not believe my, look at one next to another brand next time you go to a store. The reds in Philips LCD televisions tend to lean more to the maroon side. They tend to be darker when compared to other brands. This tends to make the picture look different on them. Skin tones look good, but sometimes other things look weirdly colored. Also, as of September (or possibly) October 1st all Philips televisions are now being produced by the Japanese company Funai. The ones on Woot are likely older, so they were still likely made by Philips. I would never buy one myself, but this really is a pretty decent price for one of these, but the 90 day warranty would be a deal breaker for me.

Gas has dropped off so put it on a credit card and dont pay the bank. We pay tax to keep the banks working so its a wash.

can you mount this on your wall or is the base stuck to it?

This is not lighter than a projection tv, bozo!

It has the sockets on the back for a wall mount… so yea the base probably would come off.

If this thing doesn’t have an HDTV TV tuner this is an awe full price. I got an LG 42" hdtv 720p plasma for $700 at circuit last year and thought it was a steal. I got Kids so i gotta have plasma, the glass screen really helps when the kids throw stuff. Had I had an lcd it would have had a cracked screen by now. anyhow enjoy:)

Thats a good piece of info, thanks.

Also this doesn’t say HDTV because it doesn’t have tuner built in, I would think.

The base on these sets is made of glass and they do swivel. This is a nice feature. Also, the USB port on the side is cool because you can use the set as a giant picture frame for your family photos. This would be a great way to one-up the neighbor who has been bragging about his new 10" Digital Photo Frame. Pictures actually look very nice on this set and they cycle through just like those on a Digital Photo Frame do. Furthermore, the USB port will allow you to play MP3s off a USB stick, which is a nice feature as well. It will show the song name, author, time, and other information on screen as well.

My 53" projection weighs over 300 lbs. I want it to die before I buy a new TV.

Daft Punk’s “Electroma” makes me want to buy this :(.

This is NOT a great deal. Its a good TV Im sure, and an ok deal, but this price for this size, AND at 1080, is not a great deal.

Look around, you can find better a better price for this size.

You mean projector and screen not projection bozo! :stuck_out_tongue:

It does have a digital (HDTV) tuner. It will receive NTSC (analog), ATSC(digital), and Clear QAM (also digital) signals. Our local cable company has not scrambled their digital music channels, so the QAM portion of the tuner allows me to view those 48 channels as well as others such as ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery HD theater without a cable box. For most digital HD channels on cable however, you will need a digital cable box. Besides, you wouldn’t want the poor cable companies to lose their five to ten dollars a month they “have” to charge for the “rental” of their digital cable box, would you. Never!

This will receive all three NTSC, ATSC, and Clear QAM via the built in tuner. You should have no problems. Also, the tuners in Philips seem to be more sensitive than other brands, so those of you who may use this with an antenna may like this model. It should get slightly better reception than some of the other brands.

I do not have this model or brand of television, but I have sold them and I was able to mess around with the displays quite a bit.

I think this is a good deal. We paid 1300 for our 42" Samsung (Sears roped us in with the year no payments no interest) and $1000 for our 46" Sharp Aquos (Black Friday Deal).