Philips 47” 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

I thought that comment by Prime Suspect was hilarious.

Just called Phillips customer support about the Woot Phillips refurbs.

Apparently, Woot is the only Phillips authorized refurbished site.

They verified that these are “factory” refurbs with a 90 day warranty. No additional warranty can be purchased from Phillips.

Dead pixels can show up right away and they can also show up over time. They’re caused by manufacturing defects, often variations in the clean room environment where the the screen matrix is created. As the screen ages, defects can begin to show up. I know, I know, too much information.

Anyway, good luck getting any manufacturer to give you a dead pixel policy in writing. My experience is that they will send out someone to look at it and then it’s up to the manufacturer’s discretion (or whoever is carrying your extended warranty policy) to decide if your set has too many dead pixels.

That being said, among the best warranty service out there, IMHO, is Samsung. They are really easy to deal with. But that was on a new TV. I don’t know about their factory refurbs.

Well… I just bought one. I hope it wasn’t a mistake. Reviews seem decent… refurb does make me nervous…

Congrats to Woot for pricing it right at the “Ill take a risk threshold”…Nicely done…

Seems like alot of people that got them last time got scratched up TV’s.

I wonder if paying more for LED or paying more for a 55" new would be a better idea.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProScan-55LC55S240V69/14053380

That makes me feel a TON better. Didn’t see that. Thanks :slight_smile:

bought one of these last year, it broke within a few months, cant fix it for under 500.oo…refurbished, will never do that again…

so it doesn’t support 24p?

In case no one has mentioned it before: Philips=Funai and that is likely the reason it’s broke.
Funai is the poorest of the Asian mfrs.

In for one! I agree it was right on the “I’ll take a risk” price point. With all the stuff I’m reading about the refurbs, though, I guess that makes the warranty a no brainer… the question is 1 year or 2? The fact that the 2nd year is half off (plus a 10% off coupon that hopefully works) is pretty good. But in reality, when do problems usually crop up? I’m not sure we need the 2nd year.

Does anyone know if this tv has input lag when playing video games?

I have had numerous refurbs and any time I had a problem it happened soon after purchase and was made good by dealer or manufacture.

That does look awesome, damn expensive tho! You should look around, maybe even get it for free? -> :tongue:

What a Jerk.

That’s like seeing a new Nissan 350Z and saying “how cute, my Ferrari is laughing at that”.

Yes, we know a Sony 70" TV is better, I’m sure you love saying all the time, out loud, that you have a Sony 70" TV, so everyone can know.

Well good for you.

war did you see the 10% coupon

call them you will get 20% of on phone to day onley

I bet you are a very cool guy! [groan… ]
Take it easy, bro… No shame in a 47"!

Everyone else: This TV isn’t bad, but for the money, I’d go w/ an LG or probably even a Vizio over the Philips (or whatever their asian pseudonym is…)

So I just bought one of these bad boys, about how long would you guy say it’s going to take to get out to me? I leave next Tuesday for a trip to Florida, do you think I will have it by then? Thanks guys!

Been lookin to grab a 1080p finally to replace my Olevia 542i which has served me beautifully for almost 5 years now. Almost bit the bullet on this but I just can’t bring myself to buy a TV that is no longer produced/supported by Philips (Not even sure if this one was originally Funai or Philips). Too much risk on a refurb. Any non fixable dead pixels pop up or the backlight starts dying and its done.

Need to stop trying to sell refurbs of things with very limited lifespans like modern TVs and laptops, especially brands that were dropped by their owners.

Great tip, thanks! All the codes I found online were for previous customers. Since this is my first time purchasing a warranty from them, I wouldn’t work for me. So I called (like you recommended) and told them I was trying to use the 20% off code springsavings-5-11, but it was only for “selected Square Trade buyers”… how could I get to be selected, too? He offered me the current 20% code, PLUS it was $5 less (before discounts!)for the first year than when I tried to do it online. $96 for 2 years! Thanks again!