Philips 8.5-inch Portable DVD with iPod Dock and SD Card Reader

most of the Apple portable devices have an option like that. But yeah, the cable is like 20 bucks or something. Even the iPhone has one.

Nope, you can not get video out of the headphone jack on the iPod Classic. and the cables that will do it (composite and component) are $49 from the apple store.

Per kspn @ sellout.woot

I just want to warn everyone that the dock connector will not work for video on the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Nano 3g (the fat one with video) or the iPod Classic as these require authenticated video out chips which this product does not have as it was manufactured before the advent of these new chips. Read this and be prepared!

seems to answer my question on the video out problem with most devices…

Perhaps APPLE wants the Ipod to talk to the Apple TV unit only???

So typical of Apple, they do not utilile 25% of the PortalPlayer’s chipset features (like voice record, FM, NOW passive Video Out… etc.)

IF it does not make money for Apple, they don’t include it, you have to buy it aftermarket…

Will Keyser Soze be impressed ?

Only a couple dollars less than what you can get it on Amazon, not really a great deal.

Also reviews said beware it won’t play video from newer iPods

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000MSC4Z4/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1201847851&sr=8-1

at least 10 bucks by the time u get shipping in there from amazon

ouch! 50 bucks! I’m an Apple fan, big time, but wow, that blows! :smiley: OH well, this ain’t the forum for it. But yeah, I stand corrected.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300233

That’s what I was gonna comment on!

As I understand from this being on Woot before, this is a nice DVD player. The iPod dock is an added feature. If you do not have an iPod, no big because this is a nice DVD player.

As I recall, the last time this was on Woot it did not sell well because everyone thought it was an iPod specific device. But it is not, AFAIK. Seems a slick DVD player to me. Don’t know about pricing though, if it is cheaper elsewhere. Philips is a good brand, IMHO, so it is better than Colby, for example. I have not seen the price of this model elsewhere on the Net.

Back in year 2000 I paid about $300 for one of these, a Panasonic with a way smaller screen and larger form factor.

They are nice to take on trips and to play movies on the hotel room bed. I did that a few times and it was worth the price back then. As I recall, we saved about $8 each time we played a movie instead of playing them on the hotel TV.

I have also used the player to play movies in bed, placing the player on the window sill.

Also gave one to my ex-girlfriend. When traveling in a car she put some Disney movies in the player and her kid watched movies the whole trip. Was nice and quiet the whole trip.

Just mentioning some ideas for this. If I did not have three of these type players, I’d buy one for sure. This is so much nicer than the ones I have. But that’s progress.

Got One !! :wink:
Now I can use my 80GB iPod as a Portable Video Vault… since I’m getting a 160GB soon for my Music… ALL of it…
BTW… Wonder if the SD slot is SDHC Compatible?! Anyone?!.. Good Night :wink:

Does anyone know if you can view pictures and movies from an SD card? what about ipod. i didnt read the descrition yet

now i read the title/description

AND YES YOU Can WATCH VIDEO YAY

NOW GIVE ME BAG OF SHIKAKE

Anyone know the video quality?

It has a 7.3 rating on cnet, which is decent:

The only downfall I don’t like is the <2.5 battery life without removable batteries.

No mention of video quality. If the quality is good, then I’ll probably get it.

That has to be the most entertaining story yet from the woot writers.

We bought this about a year ago for $160 and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. $99 is a great deal, even if it is refurbished–I’m actually considering getting one for me, since the one we have now was bought for our kid to use.

We chose it because of the iPod dock, but I have to admit, we don’t even use that feature very often (though it’s worked well when we have). My favorite feature at the moment is that it plays DiVX, since a friend just gave me a couple DVDs in that format and I can watch them on this player.

Wow, this seems like a pretty damn good deal! DVD, iPod and SD… And is DiVX certified! Hmm… Methinks I’ll look up its LCD specs!

Update:

Blah… NewEgg says the screen is 480x234… Tons of product photos at NewEgg if anyone’s interested in that too…

Excellent review at iLounge (B-)

And the integrated rechargeable battery IS NOT user replaceable (have to take the player apart?!), nor a standard type.

Hmmm… Still, only $99, though…

User manual download at Philipswithout all the re-whatever garbage…

EBAY’s got these all over for less

found this
Watch out!!!
The built-in battery cannot be replaced by any means. Here are some quotes from Philips customer support:
“We do not manufacture and sell replacement batteries for the unit.”
“We apologize to inform you that the battery is not replaceable. It is an internal part of the portable DVD player and you cannot purchase it anywhere.”
Also, Philips told me,
“We do not have available information about the average life duration of the built-in battery.”
Basically, Philips is saying they do not know how long the device will last and there is no way to fix it once the battery dies.

two questions for the masses:

1. does anyone know if this DVD player is restricted to region 1 dvds?

2. i’m pretty sure that the video ipod will not play divX files (there’s probably some conversion software for that, but that can be time consuming). does anyone know if you enable the ipod for disk use, if you could play the divX files stored on the ipod that way?

i’ll look these both up myself, but if anyone knows, please holler back

How exactly is this “all over” eBay, when only one seller has if for a lower total price? Which is USED, currently $61 + $11.99 shipping and still has a day left on the countdown? The other auction for another USED one at $89 + $20 shipping is over NINE days til closing.

The eBay Stores? Try $129.95-$202.60 BEFORE shipping.

Did you search on DCP850? I don’t think you did.

Read the iLounge Review (B-) for some good insight on the video quality…