Philips A/V Docking Cradle for iPod

just fyi here’s the product support website

and the user manual

and a leaflet

Not true, nothing was changed on the dock connector, it was the DRMware built into the device and the charging voltage required for the touch models. iPods have always been able to accept 12vdc charging voltages since the Gen1.0 when it only had a firewire sync cable.

DRMware on Gen5.5 (original “Classic”) disabled video unless you had an “authorized” AV cable ($50 from the big A) or dock, which has an active chip in it to send a code to the player, turning video output on. I have seen reports that some of the newer models no longer require this, but I cannot verify it. Chances are that this only works with the original iPod Video models (Gen5.0) for video output.

It should work with all models for audio output. Touch and iPhones might give you the continual nag screen about it not being compatible – but don’t they do that for everything?

For $3.99 plus shipping why not take a shot.

I was interested in this until I saw my 4th gen wasn’t listed on the compatibility - but as another commenter noted, that’s a post-3rd generation player in the photo. I’m sure Woot didn’t intend to mislead us, but that’s the practical effect, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some folks with 4th or 5th gen players bought this without checking the compatibility, based on the image. Does no one at Woot own a latter-day nano? Please do some more research before potentially misleading your audience.

Wow. Woot has changed the picture to the 3rd gen nano already!

If it was Touch compatible, I’d be in.

I have a very, very old Apple dock I keep at work that says it’s not compatible with my iPhone when I plug it in, but it charges just fine. I assume these are going to charge just fine as well if the Touch/iPhone fit in the slot and you save buying an over priced cable.

I was hoping it came with an iPod cable.

Which is also not included in the list of compatible models … I wonder if they tested it. I’d love to know it works with the 3rd gen nano pictured and also with an 80gb classic.

oh… i guess that is rather creepy… well anyways, i hope someone can test one out and settle all the debate, id love to be able to sync and play movies through one of these

The pic doesn’t show a remote but the pdf from Phillips shows one. Does anyone know if the remote is included?

Nevermind. Seems a little reading helps. the 3141 has the remote but the 3140 (this model) does not.

There are really 3 issues with supporting iPhones, iPod Touches and newer iPods:

1. Video - we know it won’t support that on any new models due to DRM.
  2. Physical dimensions - Will an iPhone even fit in it?
  3. Charging - Newer iProducts don’t support charging unless the proper voltage is detected, rather than just using any old USB charger. Thus, we still don’t know if it will charge one or not.

It would be very helpful to have someone actually try an iPhone 3Gs in it to tell whether it charges and fits. If it does, we know it will work with every other iProduct (except iPad, of course.) Though we know it won’t support Video.

Does it go to 11?

Well, I figured $8 for this dock won’t hurt if it doesn’t work with the iPhone 3G. I don’t need it for audio/video outputs just as a charging dock.

Worst case? I give it to my little sister for her iPod nano.

Could this work if i plugged it into my car dvd player for the kids? the dvd player has av ports of course, but not sure if this docking station would work. i dont want to be holding this up with my hands through a 200 mile trip, i am wondering how long the audio and video cables are that come with it. I didnt see the specs for the cable length on the description.

thanks for any insight.

Thanks! I was on the fence and that comment was just the push I needed to say “what the hey!”

In for 1!

Will the Cradle charge my iPOD without being plugged-in to any other source, ie computer, stereo or tv? I am assuming it can be used as a stand-alone charging cradle since it comes with the power cord?