Philips Plug and Play USB Webcam with Microphone – 2 Pack

Because any improved technology becomes the standard once price drops.

USB 2.0 became the standard for other stuff, that isn’t dependent on internet connection. Does it matter if you can stream video from your web cam to computer at 400+mb/s if your internet doesn’t move that fast? No. It does not. External hdds, flash drives, etc… that’s the stuff that really benefits from 2.0

I had been wondering if it would work with Linux as the person who would get this uses that system only. mmm…I guess I will keep looking.

Forgive me if I might be incorrect here, but I think Linux support still exists as documented here:

Specs say: NO. only w/Windows XP (SP2) & Vista

So, since I do have a 5mbps upload connection at home, will this keep up? Honest question…

thanks gki

you could check here:

Hoo Ray! just got my grandmother a Christmas present…

Be careful with Philips webcams, they aren’t known for their driver support. I own one and finding working vista drivers on their site is an archaic mess.

stocking stuffers, lolz.

I don’t know what you are all talking about I was greatly sastified with there work , the mic is crappy but the cam is awsome

Here is the link to it on Philips site - http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_onlineStoreStatus_false/_productid_SPC230NC_27_US_CONSUMER/_retailStoreStatus_true/Webcam+SPC230NC-27

If I did get these could I use the mic on the headphones and somehow stop the mic on the webcam? Maybe duct tape the thing over. I need 4 inexpensive webcams for family to eyeball each other once in a while.

Uhh…I found the drivers on their site for that exact webcam within a minute or so of getting to the product page.

nothing like a microphone with fish

Mac OSX FA!L

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2228334&forum_id=755290

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqview?scy=SG&subrequest=1&mid=Link_FAQs&session=20081202024838_75.55.13.213&desc=Philips+Webcam+SPC230NC+Easy&view=aa12_view_full.html&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=ENG&refnr=0061351&refdisplay=WEBCAM_QAC_61351&dct=QAC&ctn=SPC230NC/00

The USB specifications are pretty complicated. As you increase in features, the degree of complexity and cost increases. Its similar to asking why people have chip programmers running off of serial or parrallel ports on a computer. Basic answer is, it is easier and cheaper. Same idea with a gamepad that ran on a gameport instead of USB. Mind you, its completely possible to design a device that complies with the USB specifications version 2.0 and not run at hi-speed. It just means that the device has to be within those specifications to run at hi-speed. Hoot?, your USB2.0 device could be running pleasantly at 1.5Mbits/s and not care. Finally, the amount of bandwidth you’ll be using from the camera is insignificant compared to 1.5Mbits/s. For the vast majority of people, and using the term very lousely, the internet upload speed will be the limiter, not the USB 1.0 specifications.

But did you succeed?

And if you did, are you, like, willing to share (the URL)?

“Thankfully the multifunctional stand makes the Philips Easy Plug and Play Webcam so stable it could quarter horses.”

EUGGHH!! I don’t want blood and horse guts all over MY monitor. woot - go wash out your minds with some soap.woot.