Philips Portable DVD Player with Dual 7” Screens

I had a pair of these from Woot last year, they did great for their purpose, to entertain the kids while on a road trip. The volume was a little low but add headphones and you’ll be fine. They lasted until they ended up in my oldest room and turned into a toy… Other than that great for the kids!

I’m not very convinced you know what you are talking about. Movies encoded with DivX can be dvd quality. The compression is entirely up to you. So the hundreds of disks you have taking up space can easily be on a single hard drive. Same goes with blu-ray, you can create files with the same quality as the disk. Digital is not inferior to physical.

h.264 in mkv.

can you use these outside of the car? do they have an internal battery? battery life if so?

X 2. For a while, it seems the rage was 700’ish mb Divx files so they could be burned to a CD. Movie rips are getting bigger these days. I personally rip using DVD quality. Looks great on my iPad

Bought these from Target about a year ago for a road trip; used them again this past Thanksgiving for another trip.

Pros: never skipped. picture quality was good. Used the headphone jack to run the sound through the car’s audio system and the sound was good.

Cons: cables are short; barely long enough to keep the master unit in front for the spouse to operate while the 2nd was in back for the kid to watch. The biggest problem is that there isn’t any battery or small capacitor to hold power for the units. If you lose power for an instant the system restarts and then you have to sit through the Philips logo and all the FBI warnings before you get back to the show. Not a big deal while you’re cruising down the highway. More of an issue if you stop for gas or if you bump the power cable.

Overall, we’re happy with the unit.

You can use them outside of the car!

But only if you have a 12v power source that you’re willing to carry around (say, one of those portable air compressors with a 12v outlet).

Yeah, sorry, no internal battery.

I can’t say I’d buy it anyway, because I’m a bit broke at the moment. But the one thing I’d want to see is A/V inputs. Not fancy-schmancy HDMI – just a plain ol’ set of red-white-yellow RCA plugs. Plug in the wonderfully portable Game Cube and we’d be ready to hit the road.

Of course, that would make the dual screens something of a liability… unless the viewing partner is fascinated by your Pikmin prowess.

Cnet Reviews

@Tekrex I got this on black friday at target for $85 too. My brother has had one for his kids for about a year now and they have no problems with it.

I’m in for one.

I use these in a Honda Odyssey and the cords are plenty long enough.

We have been pleased with it. The only thing I’d agree with another poster - due to the lack of a remote, you will need to be skilled at reaching over your seat to press play, fast forward, etc. The buttons are kinda small for the kids to do themselves. I just made sure that everything was playing before we drove away.

no need explaining it to that moron
he is not gonna get it

phillips and no divx? thats a joke

I wont buy it too

How’ryadoin?

That’s a different model - Philips PET1002.

I gotta have DIVX

Where did you find this information? I don’t see it on the product website or in the manual Nightghost posted. Most of my kids movies are MKV. Would I have to convert these files before burning to a DVD?

User Manual

Dang. Sold out already??
There goes my morning of research. :frowning:

But several new versions of DivX have been released since then (I believe 6.8.5 is the latest). do they have to change the name in order to sound newfangled?

A few years ago, I made scads of DVDs. Now, with media players and streamers, I hardly use them at all - and I don’t think I’ve burned one in over a year.

For the same reason, I haven’t bought a Blu-Ray player (or burner).

Of course, to each his own. Some folks just like having the physical disks.

And I don’t need DivX built into my TV. The abovementioned devices work just fine.

Yes - you’d have to convert the MKVs (Matroska).

Here are some guides.

A standard Dual layer DVD is 8GB. Any Divx file that is less than 8GB is compressed in some way (no matter if they downgrade the audio encoding/quality or the video resolution).

Of course, reality is that on these small screens, you won’t notice it as much so the point is not as noticeable as it would be on your living room TVs. Divx is a great format for watching movies on my digital media player but as for watching movies in the car, my kids will handle watching good old DVDs.