Philips Video Player with iPod Dock, SD Card Reader, and DVD player

Price comparator post ! - Is this a good deal ? Let’s see ! :slight_smile:

Refurbished Philips Video Player with iPod Dock, SD Card Reader, and DVD player, for $89.99 + $5 shipping
Product: 1x Philips DCP850/37 Video Player with iPod Dock and DVD Player

To access the price comparator links, click here
And to compare with Froogle, Amazon and eBay, click here

http://lucy.cykian.net/wts/pic0.pnghttp://lucy.cykian.net/wts/pic1.jpg

I don’t get portable video players, they seem like such a waste. Just wait to watch your darn movie!

will it read SDHC cards?

Seems a bit pricey for a Refurb…

I just use my laptop, already use it for other things too, like getting work done :slight_smile:

damnit i was just thinking about getting a portable dvd player for the train.

well, i’ll be getting a laptop anyway…

I would say no - a quick google search comes up with this from Amazon - where the review says it will - but the person commenting says they checked with Phillips and it will not support SDHC.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R13SPVW8C92TYX

No
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2TJPOQJBA83FS/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2TJPOQJBA83FS

Why would you need this if you have a laptop? I also don’t see the excuse of being able to use it on a plane since most people travel with their laptop for business, or even pleasure these days so why carry yet one more chunky electronic device in your carry on?

I don’t get the purpose of this item.

Oh well Narf!!!

It does have a bigger screen than the sonic impact, but if it’s going to use sd’s it should use sdhc or allow you to hack it so it does, like with rockbox.

Will it play dl DVD+?

does it come with elton john?

Never mind. The thing apparently eats ipods. Nice, but it fries the logic board and I don’t have any idea how to go about replacing that.

Would be tempted, but all the reviews say that the ipod dock feature is crap. Video quality from the ipod is horrible, though other sources are still good.
Also only 2.5 hours battery life (rated, meaning it’s probably less)
Been waiting for a xvid compatible portable dvd-player. But I think I’ll keep waiting for something with better battery life at least.

If I were in the market for one of these, I’d pass on this one, according to reviews on Amazon. One review said it fried the logic board of two of his ipods, confirmed by Geek Squad. Phillips told him “tough luck”.

i sell these where i work… they sell for more… but never heard of the ipod thing… interesting… maybe i won’t try to push these so much…

I think the sonic impact is a better deal, with a slightly smaller screen. Buy.com has then for $39.99. They only work with 5th generation ipods. I’ve had one for a year now and can safely say it hasn’t fried my ipod or Zune. I connect the zune to it through the video in. Wonderful. Works like a charm.

I’d be interested in knowing if any of you can explain how something like this could fry a logic board like that? How can it happen?

Does anybody know if it can play both NTSC and PAL region coded disks?

Actually, frying an iPod isn’t that hard. Put the wrong amount of current on it’s pins, and it’s toast. (This does claim to charge while in dock, so…) Sometimes one can just fry the recharge circuitry, and you can pull your stuff out quick before whats left of its battery goes dead (happened to a friend of mine). But since they don’t have a detachable battery that you can recharge another way, once the charge is gone its gone.

I have had one of these for about 6 months and love it, but it’s my third one. Bought mine from Target and was very lucky they would allow me return it twice. The first one had a screen that went all green after 2 weeks, and the second one had a crooked screen out-of-the-box that was off by one pixel… just enough to get on my nerves. Third time was a charm and it even survived a 2 foot drop onto carpet thanks to my cat. Target ended up having a fire-sale on these for $98 (originally $149, then marked down to $129) and they don’t carry them any more. As for the working unit I ended up with, it plays movies from DVD and iPod just fine. I have not tried the SD slot because I have a 80GB iPod filled with movies and music. It has not fried or damaged my iPod in any way. The speakers play louder from DVD for some reason and are still not quite loud enough, but I usually listen through a pair of Sony earbuds or Creative portable speakers. It will charge the iPod while plugged in and seems to last longer on battery power while playing iPod movies since it doesn’t have to spin a DVD. There doesn’t seem to be any way to adjust the brightness/color/contrast/etc. while watching the iPod.

For this Phillips DVD player, being a refurbished product may not be a bad thing. If it works as advertised, it’s a wonderful little player.