PhotoPlus X3 Digital Studio

This is the previous version, the newest version is 4.
It sells for $22 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Serif-PHPX3USMBRT-PhotoPlus-X3/dp/B002A2VD2U

I’d really like to know why I can’t click on the stupidly large button to buy this…

Is this upgradeable to PhotoPlus X4?

I have been using Serif products since the '90s (not PhotoPlus in particular, tho). They are overall stable, powerful, and well-priced.

Once you register your product, they usually start offering you upgrade pricing, $5-$10 off coupons, special deals, etc., etc. and you are eligible for upgrade pricing.

I logged into my account to check - X4 (the latest) is $89.99, upgrade pricing is $49.99, so this is a deal…buy X3 here and upgrade and save $27.

They also offer FREE starter editions for their other software. Serif Free Downloads

How does this compare to PhotoScape? I’ve only used free photo editors in the past, so at this price, I’d be willing to take my first step towards legit picture editing software - if it’s worth it!

Here is a list of supported cameras’ RAW formats: Is my camera’s raw format supported by PhotoPlus X3?

Haha, no I use photoshop all the time for my graphics works. It is a very powerful program no matter how you use it. I was just saying that photoshop can do so much more than the Photoplus X3. But, photoplus is a great basic editor and a good deal for the price. :wink:

Read the fulgorous manual.

Wow - that one took some searching: Yes, it will work in Win 7/64, and some users have reported that it’s faster than X4 in this environment.

This can do anything Irfanview can do, but Irfanview is much easier for what it is good at. I use both routinely; if I need to crop/resize/convert/annotate or rotate an image I fire up IView. IView is only good for the simplest editing tasks, however, so after I preprocess an image with IView, I paste it into in X3 for serious editing. X3 is great for extracting parts of images or removing unwanted backgrounds. I use it routinely to create PNGs of screenshots/scans and photos with transparent backgrounds. When creating original artwork I much prefer vector drawing so I use DrawPlus X3.

That’s a tough question, since you haven’t indicated what you’re trying to accomplish. PhotoPlus isn’t PhotoShop, but it will have more features than PhotoScape (e.g. remove background). I think it probably runs faster too, but I can’t find a comparison.

I would suggest that you read over the features of both and compare.

Has anyone used both of these programs and want to add some personal experience?

Has anyone used both of these programs and want to add some personal experience?
[/quote]

I’ve have the v9 free download from their website. It’s not bad, I used it to swap color palettes to watercolor for some shots. I threw in for one, hey it’s just 20 bucks.

It’s been a while Woot, your new website with all the scripts and fancy manure just gets in the way. Simpler be better, really. Tell the artistes on the payroll to stifle themselves.

Anyone know about this software’s HDR capabilities?

You can do it, but you need to have photos of different exposure for best results:

Serif PhotoPlus X3 Tutorial - HDR Photo Merge video

feature review

IT reviews - “If you do have a bunch of different exposures to work from then PhotoPlus X3’s HDR Merge does a good job of aligning images. However, you can also artificially tweak exposures and get reasonably good results.”

As they say, it ain’t photoshop. However, it’s darn close. (And about $500 less)

Industry standard is photoshop. Then you have the gimp, then serif software.

I’ve been using photoshop for years but actually started with the serif software. It’s quite powerful but like photoshop has a fairly steep learning curve. But if you want graphics software and are on a budget, you really can’t beat it. And if you learn to use it, you won’t have much of a problem when/if you decide to upgrade yourself to photoshop.

I highly recommend it. But no, it’s not Mac compatible.

Yes.

Here are two charts (scroll down the page) showing which Serif products work with which version of Windows.

One of the footnotes at the bottom of the page says: All Serif products that are compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7 are compatible with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions

PhotoPlus X3 is listed as having passed the Microsoft Logo Program and is compatible with Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit.

NOPE - if you look at the shortcut itself, it says it’s “X3”. Same as here.

BTW, it’s at Amazon, but vendor is Buy.com. Which will get a wink out of some.

'best-

a.

P.S. In case this comparison chart/reviews hasn’t been referenced:

http://image-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Shipping Update

PhotoPlus X3 Digital Studio has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING