Pine Ridge Vineyards 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot - 2 Pack

Interesting choice of descriptors; cellering time (for the cs), but no pH, brix, oak, etc.

im a big wine consumer from argentina and i say:
that’s a really good wine!

[How good is this deal?](http://bit.ly/b1IgIM" title="How good is this deal?)

It’s like buying the Cabernet and getting the Merlot for free!

Click the link above for full discount details, CT links, etc.

Wow 20 percent first time Wooters could this have something to do with Amazon?

Cheers!

This may get a few noses out of joint, but I don’t think that Pine Ridge was the same after Gary Andrus got out of the business – which IIRC was caused by fallout with his divorce from Nancy. See details in a Spectator Obit of Gary Andrus here.

At the end of the day, I think the overall quality of the wines were wonderful in the 1980 and 90s (1985, 1991, 1994 & 1997 were wonderful), but the ramping up of production coupled with Andrus’ departure resulted in a sort of homogenization of the wine making operation there. It used to be a family place – not so much over the past decade.

Might just be that this is a well-known Napa brand.

I was at a local tasting even when they were one of the wineries there. Very well balance wine, their chardonnay was great as well.

Nope. It’s probably to do with the fact that not too many people overall have bought this offering. 20% of 5 is 1!

Not sure where you’re getting the 5 from, since there’s 20 states lit up, meaning there’s at least 20 purchasers. And since they are of varying colors, it means most of those 20 states have multiple purchasers…

No real way to see how many people have purchased until the end of it. Doesn’t make sense to make a claim like that without any way to back it up :slight_smile: (even just the “not too many people overall”, disregarding the absurd number of 5 completely)

Some info on 2006 CA cabs from a collection of area wineries–

http://www.californiacabernetsociety.com/report.htm

As noted above, this deal is like getting the merlot for free…mighty tempting…

We’ve been long time PR wine club members and have ordered the 06 cab twice since the club shipment. Pop and pour on both of these bottles and improve a bit after an hour or so. Being pretty well balanced they rarely last an hour though. In for 6 since this is a bit cheaper than the club price. -EL

It looks like a lot of the case production is tied to the Chenin Blanc, so the Napa wines may not be as massively produced. But if the Chenin Blanc is 45k cases out of 90k, that still leaves 45k cases for the other stuff. Still a fairly large number.

I wish Pine Ridge had more info like pH, TA, Brix, cases produced, etc. It’s always annoying when wineries hide all that stuff. It’s not like it’s some deep dark secret like adding mega purple or (gasp!) sending wines to Vinovation for alcohol adjustment.

I’m not certain, but it appears as though 2006 didn’t see the production of a Rutherford Cabernet bottling. Additionally, it was the inaugural vintage of this Cab, the broader Napa Valley designation. Winery, please correct me if I’m wrong.

My wife and I loved the classic-Napa, big and bold Rutherford Cabs from 99 and 00, though 01 seemed past its time when we drank a bottle last year.

Schug (their Chardonnay was featured a while back on wine.woot) also produces some great Merlot out of Carneros. I’m eager to hear what people think about this Pine Ridge Merlot.

Since Amazon took over does that mean we won’t have anyone from the winery to talk with us?
Anyone know of any other changes that will occur since the takeover?

I seriously doubt that Amazon’s acquisition of woot is the reason for the lack of winery participation. I would assume that an extraneous reason is to blame much faster than I would assume it had something to do with any of the recent changes.

Copyright and trademark notices all over the place.

Given lead times, I doubt that any wine offerings have had anything to do with Amazon so far. Occasionally a winery doesn’t participate - nothing new because of Amazon.

/Anyone drunk this? What’s the style here? How laaaare and fruity are they, and will they stand keeping?

I know next to nothing about Merlots too.
anyone got any th0ughts? Is this a “ridge” named winery you like, or are there better ones?

Maybe “3rd party sellers” offering “Collectible” bottles of Monkey Prize for $999.00.

[somehow I think all the states’ various liquor laws would prevent 3rd party wine sellers, but you never know…]

We have one previous taster of the Cab: bahwm.

Merlots tend to be lighter than CS, although can be made bigger, obviously. The rat should (hopefully) give us a better idea about the Merlot offered here.

And the description page says that the CS can hold for 10-15 years, but no mention of cellarability of the Merlot.

Bugger! Another expensive week…