Pioneer 1080p Upconverting DVD Player with HDMI output

yes i believe hd player do up converting. at least the ones ive seen.

my friend has one of these and its really good and its a good price too

Anyone know if the USB port is 2.0?

HD-DVD format players are known to be great upscalers, and probably do a much better job than this cheap thing. Only reason why I won’t mind of the HD-DVD format fails, as you still have a good upscaling player in the end.

Note though, with your player and this player it will only upscale over HDMI, or converted to DVI, not sure if you are using component with your HD-DVD player. Copyright reasons for all this. Which I why I find it funny that the description title bothers to mention “with HDMI” as it better have one if it’s an upscaler, or it couldn’t upscale unless it had DVI or something.

Not a very good deal. Best Buy has no less than 4 upconverting 1080p HDMI DVD players available in the $42-60 range, and no shipping. The Philips model that is on sale for $60 this week is top knotch.

The person who writes these things is Blanking Brilliant!

Most of them are. They will upconvert to near HD quality. Toshiba and OPPO and two of the best upconverters to get but they cost much more than this Pioneer.

From what I’ve read at Pricegrabber the USB Port is crap and should not be the cause of your purchase. Divx aint great on this one either.

In many cases yes. Depends on the xvid encoder setup.

then run right over there and buy it.

Some Googling would answer that. But in short:

HDMI is a digital signal, with audio as well over the same cable.
DVI is a digital signal only (same as HDMI, and they make simple adapters for each)
Component is actually analog, not digital (read not accurate).

Also to get any type of progressive signal (60Hz) over Component, you will have to have some high grade cables. DVI/HDMI - Don’t pay for that Monster hype!

I did a ton of research before buying one of these. It gets great reviews. USB port is cool for watching DivX files on the LCD. As for the guy complaining it doesn’t come with an HDMI cable. I don’t know of ANY DVD player that comes with an HDMI cable. They will come with composite but HDMI is always sold separately.

I have one and love it! The only thing I don’t love is that I paid 100 smackers for it at… well… let’s say the place I bought it from did not actually have the “Best Buy.” In fact, Woot does. It’s a great little player with tons of great features, and the upconvert feature works quite well for standard dvd’s. Granted, one must use an HDMI cable to take advantage of the upconvert feature. In addition, consider the following hoot: the player is on sale now at the aforementioned store for $96.8 (originally $113.99); thus, one cannot go wrong with this woot… eh, unless, of course, one doesn’t own dvds’. Then, it does make a great paperweight!

Going cheaper on an upscaling player wouldn’t be the exact best thing to do if you want something that would actually make a difference with the picture quality of DVDs on a HD display. Not all upscalers are the same. I mean when HD-DVD players launched at $500, they got high remarks as upscalers compared to the popular Oppo players. In contrast, the first Blu-ray player that was $1000 got horrible comments on its upscaling of DVDs. Just saying, saying, if you go too cheap, the upscaling of a player like that probably would be no better than the upscaling the tv would do itself, and that a regular progressive player at the same price might yield overall better dvd playback.

You can find these normally from $100 to $130 elsewhere if you don’t like the silver… NotSoBest Buy has a black one for $114.

This manual is for the DV-400-VS so it’s almost the same but not quite:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Unassigned+Content/ci.DV400VOperatingInstructions0523.Protected

Weeee…

According to this review: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000WB0JDK/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Yes

I actually own one of these in black that I got from Bst By a few months ago on sale for $99, it’s a great player and I HIGHLY recommend it… Besides, you can get HDMI cables on Amaz*n.com for $6 a piece…

is it, by any chance, region free?

Oh, and by the way… I tried both a Monster 700 HD and a Philips basic HDMI cable with this player and noticed little to no visual distinction between the two cords (note, both cords were 6 ft in length). The price difference was around $30 (with the Monster cable being the drastically more expensive of the two). Perhaps I should mention I bought the Monster cable ON SALE at that price. Normally, it would have been around $45 more money. I quickly returned the Monster and am glad not to have given my hard-earned cash to the monster who owns that company.