Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System with HDMI Upconverting DVD Player

Note: This post contains pricing information for future reference because it is generally not available elsewhere once the next Woot has been offered.

Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System with HDMI Upconverting DVD Player
$199.99 + $5 shipping
condition: New
products: 1 Pioneer HTZ-575DV 5.1 Surround Sound System
1 Pioneer XV-DV385 1080p Upconverting DVD player

Ooh, I’d buy this if my dad would let me hook it up to our TV. Bah, maybe I can convince him if there are still a few left in the afternoon. :smiley:

i have never seen two speakers used for the “center” better? worse? is this a decent system?

up convert? why. I have never used a upconvert dvd player but can’t see it making that big of a difference. My xbox 360 with HDMI supposedly upconverts but the movies still look like crap!

The 5.1 system seems nice enough though

I’m holding out for my Blu-ray in a few weeks!

299$ at a 3rd party merchant on Amazon. No reviews. Link follows:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HTZ-575DV-Theater-System-Speakers/dp/B001LGJCWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230962964&sr=8-1

I’ve had two previous Pioneer Home Theater in a Box sets. I probably wouldn’t buy a third, although I’ve been happy with them. They lacked somewhat in reliability – the changer mechanism is only good for a few years before it starts acting up. If nothing else, they were the best sounding systems I’ve found at that price point.

I can see they’ve started skimping on the front speakers, which might bring this system back in line with the other HTIB players. The remote control is still an unmanagable maze of tiny buttons, all alike. Also note that the speakers no longer use ‘terminals’, opting for custom plugs, instead. This will make it easier for non-autophiles to hook up the system, but will also serve to limit you somewhat.

The price is decent for a decent HTIB system, but there doesn’t appear to be anything really special, here. It would make a good second-system, for use in an office or play room or something like that. I can’t really recommend it as your main system, though.

My friend got this a woot-off ago for his room. Its a pretty sweet deal, especially when playing Rock Band, so I figure I’d get a matching set for my own! :slight_smile:

that does seem odd. but I can’t see it hurting anything.

Then again my 5.1 has a horizontal speaker that has two small speakers in it. Maybe the same concept?

The HDMI upconversion does not mimick HD. What it will do is upconvert to 1080i if your television supports that. The upconversion does have a very clean, crisp picture - but, definately not HD.

Maybe it is different from my xbox then if I have an actual upconvert dvd player because on my 50" samsung 1080p it still looks really grainy. Or does the xbox not upconvert through HDMI?

That makes me think of UF, and specifically the LHC escapade.

I am not sure on that, Just. My experience comes from my new sony dvd player that upconverts to 1080i on a 42" Philips I purchased on wOOt (great deal!). The picture is really very good, definately not grainy. Like I said, not HD, but the cleanest video under that. Also, this pioneer upconverts to 1080p, not 1080i.

The xbox does upconvert (360). Check ur settings and make sure you have the xbox set to at least 720p (or 1080i, 1080p). Also make sure ur using a HIDEF TV…it should not look grainy

Your 360’s picture should definitely not look bad. I’ve been using it as a DVD player on my girlfriend’s TV and the picture looks fantastic on her 50". HD? No, it’s not blu-ray, but it’s not grainy. Likely, you never changed your settings to actually transmit an HD signal. Check your video.

Here’s a quick NewEgg Review

I have a 32" 720p TV, is it worth getting? Hm…

Bought this back on 10/19 when it was on woot for $279. Def a good deal and I love my setup. Adding 2 Toslink cables and a switch allows me to use this system with my xbox 360 and Directv.

The 360 definitely upconverts (only if you are using HDMI though, but you said you are). I can still notice the film grain on my 50" DLP but its not bad at all and MILES better than my normal dvd player.

More practice grasping and manipulating small connectors?

Evil?