Pioneer 5.1 Surround Sound System with HDMI Upconverting DVD Player

Not such a huge fan of disc player/ surround sound players. Costs a bit more, but getting separate components is usually a better idea in the long run (though I can’t say that I’ve gone all out and gotten separate surround sound components, i’ve been happy with my onkyo). If one thing in a combo set breaks, you’re pretty much screwed on the whole thing.

For this price though, probably can’t go too wrong…

15 watts x6 and 20 watts x 1 @ 1% THD? This system probably won’t be able to playback at high volume or fill a large living room, but with the HDMI output you can add a receiver and bigger speakers later on.

Maybe I should try hooking up a regular dvd player to compare. I am probably just spoiled from being around blu-ray.

It isn’t that it is really grainy or anything. Friends who come over think it looks good I just notice because I am looking for it I guess. It isn’t distracting from the movie or anything and it isn’t as bad as watching standard cable on it.

how does this compare to the Logitech Z-5500.

(look here)
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-505-Watt-Digital-Surround/dp/B0002WPSBC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227840247&sr=8-3

The Logitech doesn’t play DVDs and costs $40 more

I would say definitely yes.I have a 42" 720p and the with a Sony upconvert surround sound and the difference is amazing vs.a standard dvd player,both picturewise and soundwise.Plus.if you ever get a larger TV,you already have the sound system for it!I personally think there’s too much emphasis on 720p,1080i,1080p,etc.I have a 1080i 32" and I like the quality of the picture on my 42" 720p better.

Pretty much any TV that has 720p also has 1080I… the Difference is when you try to play 1080P… Up-Convert does make a difference, in 720p, 1080i, and now 1080p… It does make a diff… This system is good if you want to improve you sound as compared from your TV, It is better than those bargain priced systems you find at wall-mart, K-mart, bestbuy ect. But for a good sound you need a seperate Reciever that can play “TRUE-HD” sound especially if you plan to get Blue ray with 7.1.

Good system especially for the price, but not great ! …

PS. that quincy Jones system they had here about a month ago was a lot better system… for $250

Does anyone know if these upconverting dvd players can use the component video out and still upconvert through them? Or is it only through the HDMI cable?

It depends on the DVD Player !

Just from a pure sound perspective, is this worth the 200 even if I don’t have a need for the upconverting DVD player. I’d be using this mostly with my media (ish) PC with Blu Ray and HD video capabilities.

this thing also plays divx

for example put an .avi file onto a CD or DVD as a data disc and it will play. no conversion needed.

I don’t know much about speaker systems, but I am looking for a good upconverting DVD player. If I were to buy this system and keep the DVD player but give the speakers to someone else, would they be able to use them? Or do they need to stick with the DVD player as their receiver… hope this question makes sense.

PS. that quincy Jones system they had here about a month ago was a lot better system… for $250

Oh yeah that system is awsome I’m glad I got one