Pioneer Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver with 3D-Ready HDMI Switching

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Pioneer Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver with 3D-Ready HDMI Switching
$149.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

3 stars on amazon

Amazon

lowest price elsewhere is looking like its $189…ehhh decent deal but would have to be a tad bit more than $35 off to pull the trigger, but its an average unit for what you pay for!

Finally, a receiver that can do my VHS and Beta tapes justice!

AVS Forum Discussion

AVS Forum Link

Pioneer used to make nice audio equipment. How are they ranked in today’s world… compared to Yamaha and Denon?

Dang, I was looking for a receiver but I won’t settle for less than 7.1 :frowning: Pretty good price on the 5.1 though…

Pioneer Page

Not a bad receiver. Could anchor a bedroom system or small media center well. Wouldn’t expect much more though. Still a good entry level deal if someone wanted to dive into the 5.1 pool.

i’ve been waiting for woot to put up a decent receiver for 4 years. a bit too late since i no longer need one…

Newegg has the 7.1 big brother on sale as well. Not sure for how much because I refuse to click through all the way to check out. At least woot tells you up front how much the price is!

so does anyone have experience with pioneer’s MCACC? how does it compare to yamaha’s YPAO on the new aventage?

Here’s the website and info from cnet, no cnet review yet.
Hope this helps.

Regarding HDMI I/O: how come 4 IN and 1 OUT? My needs supersede the outage, and resurrecting switch boxes seems intolerable at this point in our technological advances.

I see it’s HDMI and 3D-Ready but is the HDMI 1080p “pass through”? That would be a major deal killer if it wasn’t cause I’ve seen fancy receivers like this that aren’t.

I used to have one of these. I had nothing but problems with it. One after another. It introduced so much video noise into my blu-rays that they were nearly unwatchable. Then one of the HDMI ports just stopped playing sound. The picture would still show up, but the receiver wouldn’t play the sound coming through that port. Not to mention my subwoofer sounded like crap when I had this. I thought it was just because I had a crappy Onkyo sub, but I found out that the problem was the receiver. With the Pioneer VSX-521 I had my subwoofer turned up to the max and you could barely hear/feel it. Now I have a Denon AVR-1312 all the video noise is gone from my Blu-Rays (with the noise filters on the TV and Player at lower levels than they used to be), all the HDMI ports work, and I have my sub at half volume and have to turn it down even more sometimes. The AVR-1312 has fewer features than this model, but the quality is worth the sacrifice.

Nice wings and arms!

I’m guessing it could also anchor a boat. But I don’t have one of those. I would probably recommend it’s more common usage as stated above.

No optical inputs or outputs? Pass.