Pioneer DVD Recorder and VCR Combo

Perfect gift for the older folks! Lets them gently migrate into the digital age… of course, you’ll have to set it up for them. But still.

-b-

FYI - yet another new version of my alerter app is available at http://www.beermovies.com/wootoff

This one tries to decect when the script on the server has stalled (untested) and also allows the app to be minimized to the system tray (and is displayed as a tiny progress bar).

I am tempted because the set up I have now to record VHS to DVD takes long…yet I see it on www.salelectronics.com for only $40 more (it is refurbished as well). The buttons look archaic. I think I will pass.

Interesting to hear; the woot writeup indicates only [ - ] in the text.

Thankfully, I got a full refund when I originally bought this clunker (that link goes back to the post of my disappoitnment)

darn I actually have been waiting for one of these but was too slow.

Sorry to post a lame question but does anyone know if this unit can record a program from cable tv to DVD, or is it only VHS to DVD?

Thanks

I like the dvd recorder part but the vcr part should go.

I missed out the first time it was posted, but today i was able to buy it before it sold out. Thanks Woot.

I bought one of these from Woot last month. Came with a pretty noticeable dent at the side rear of the unit:

http://ron-and-iris.geefamily.net/images/dentedpioneer.jpg

Everything seems to work fine, though. Have burned many DVD-R & DVD-RW discs, dubbing from both VHS tapes, 8mm tapes (using external input lines), as well as recording TV programs directly to disc using the program timer. I like the ability to record using 4 different speeds, to fit anywhere from 1, 2, 4 or 6 hours on a disc (although the picture quality degrades the lower the sampling rate).

The built-in editing functions of the unit are a big PIA, so my standard operating procedure now is to dub or record to DVD-RW, take the recording to my PC and import it to a video editor (to cut out commercials and put in a “prettier” menu), and then burn the final version to DVD-R using the burner on my PC.

Only problem so far is that occasionally I’ll have a tape that I’m dubbing from the internal VHS drive to DVD, and the audio track begins to lag behind the video track after a while (only way I catch those are to review the recorded disc towards the end of the track). One work-around that I’ve come up with is to dub using a second VHS deck that I’ve stacked on top of the unit and plugged into the external inputs.

thanks 4 da picture… i jumped in for 1 during this woot-off… and read the many reports of damage cases… and some dont work. i hope this time around it will be better for us.

with the dents… i would probably ope the case and used a small hammer or rubber hammer and fix the dent. im gald that your unit did work… so im hoping mine will too.

this is my 2nd… well 3rd Refubs… from woot… got in the Logitech Refub. KB & mouse and how this… so far my experience with refub is ok… im using the Labtec KB & Mouse… but now starting to experience delays and connection problems when typing sometimes…

Mine came in yesterday, hooked it up, works just fine. My only criticism is that the VCR is slightly louder then what I am accustomed to. But then I’m only going to use it to transfer videos onto DVD.

Thanks Woot.

how did your arrived? well boxed? did you get any damage on your case like previous wooters?

Mine arrived today. My case is fine. I’ll let you know how it works when I hook it up tomorrow.

So far from the sound of the post, this time around the cases are not damage, i wont be getting mine until Monday. Please do let us know if you ran into problems, thanks

Well I just got my “Pioneer DVD Recorder and VCR Combo” in this morning by FedEx…

When i puchase this unit during the Woot-Off last… i didn’t read the original post from previous users who purchase this unit… until after i bought it… i search the forums… and read lots… and lots… of bad post… because the unit wasn’t packed right… and there were lots of damages to the unit. I was scared that i had made a bad choice… and was hoping for the best… well… here are some pictures… and im extrememly happy… this is my 3rd or 4th Refub. from Woot… and this is the best Reburd of all…

The unit was very well packed… and there were no signs of any damage at all… not even a single scratch… The inside of the unit is brand new, not one single used part… I think i got really lucky this time around… Will post an update on the functions / use of this time later on.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5827/dsc01495a4tz.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5113/dsc01493a7kv.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/760/dsc01494a5bt.jpg

I just recorded my first DVD with this thing and while I’m sure I just did something wrong, it recorded it in black and white. It plays in all my DVD players though.

Interesting. I’ll have to figure out what I did.

Here’s my update on the use of this unit… This is the easiestto use unit i have use… i dub 3 VHS to DVD using XS mode… the highest quailty. Editing is very easy too… and if you use a DVD-RW, then you have to be in Video Mode… just dub it to DVD-RW then transfer it to your HD (Computer Hard Drive)… and use some DVD Editing Software and you can make your own DVD menus with Chapters… like the Pros…

I love this Pioneer DVD Recorder & VCR Combo… this thing ROCKS!

Mine was dub and playback in color… not sure what happened to yours… probably just a simple fix… Im glad I jump in this deal during the Woot-Off but was worried a bit when i read the old post from previous buyers a few weeks/months ago. But im happy now… this is AWESOME!

<br>

Well, it arrived with a big dent at the back. I don’t care about the dent, but the turner on the unit does not work. Tested out the dubbing feature and it worked great.

Need to see what I can do about the turner.