Pioneer HD 1080p Blu-Ray Disc Player

I still use VHS for backups. Like DVD and BR, VHS can handle digital information and data recovery. Unlike DVD and BR, VHS tapes are more resilient to damage. Granted you have to modify your VCR to compress and store digital data but that’s really not very difficult.

It’s kinda like analog vs digital. Digital has the quality advantage due to error correction for strong signals. Analog has the advantage with weaker signals. In other words, when a digital signal gets to low it blinks out, but if an analog signal gets weak the quality degrades but your brain compensates allowing the message to be intelligible. (Yes there are other advantages and disadvantages but that’s not my point)

If you have a 1080i TV, that means you have a CRT TV, since only CRT TVs interlace the picture.

If you have an LCD TV, its 720p, and capable of accepting a 1080i signal, but it’s not really putting out a 1080i picture. It downconverts any 1080 signal to 720p. Look at the native resolution. If it’s not 1920xsomething, it’s not 1080 anything.

If you have a CRT that really has a 1080i picture, the question is whether it’s capable of accepting a 1080p signal at all. Most likely, you will have a 720i picture, since older HDTVs couldn’t handle a 1080p signal.

As for the picture quality, if the screen is under 40" diagonal, you won’t notice the difference between 1080i and 720i on most content, and if your TV is capable of accepting a 1080p signal, you won’t notice the difference between 1080p and 1080i at all, since it will always be 1080i.

It doesn’t play VHS, so the answer is no. It’s not a standalone upconverter. It’s a Blu-ray player that upconverts DVDs. That’s it.

It won’t upconvert 8mm or 16mm or slides, either.

1080i and 1080p are the same resolution, 1920x1080. The only difference is that the 1080i picture is interlaced.

BTW, LCDs always de-interlace the signal before displaying the picture. Only CRTs interlace pictures.

All manufacturers are in cahoots with Monster to let stores sell their crappy HDMI cables with staggering markups. That’s why you can buy cheap players with no margin, they’re subsidized by accessories that cost a fortune.

Funny, I thought Pioneer made crappy products in the '70s; audio components had terrible background noise, noticeable distortion, not cutting edge. In the last ten years they seem to have remade themselves into a pretty respectable company, at least according to reviewers online. What’s wrong with the brand that burned you?

…will this play 8-track?

No but I have another question.

Will it play laser discs?

Insignia just released a model as well.

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevicesList?lnkce=nrd-l&trkid=425738&lnkctr=nrd-l-m

Actually, Sony has a Netflix streaming player out and the new Insignia player is going to be updated soon to add netflix.

Great HDMI cables (and other cables like network, usb, etc) are available at reasonable (cheap!) prices from www.monoprice.com

That is just flat-out wrong. There are many, many LCDs and plasmas that put out 1080i but not 1080p, and in addition, I would be surprised if there were a 1080p-capable screen that doesn’t also do 1080i.

As far as the original poster’s question, most people notice a definite improvement in the sharpness and overall quality of a progressive-scan image compared to an interlaced image at the same resolution, but it’s hard to see what you’re missing on the interlaced set when what you’re missing is something you don’t see – know what I mean? And it’s not like 1080i is ugly; it was once, after all, the best resolution available.

Assuming this thing puts out 1080i at all (I haven’t looked; I’m not that interested) then I’d say go ahead and get it if you like it, and upgrade your TV in the future.

These are going unsold on ebay for just a few dollars more.

wow on all day at this price and still hasn’t sold out. Just goes to show that even though Sorny “won” the format battle, it lost the media war. Sorny: always a loser.

…don’t you mean 0.41899K$ USD

Or for those who have receivers which will apply DSP only if it’s sent intact (and not as LPCM), as I do. DSP is a significant feature of my receiver and I hate to lose it just because the PS3 won’t send the stream in its original format.

I’d rather support woot than tiger and even with tiger’s free shipping the woot is cheaper

Shipping Update

Pioneer HD 1080p Blu-Ray Disc Player has completely shipped via FEDEX Ground. All tracking will be emailed by this afternoon to members who purchased this item. If you would like to find your tracking information sooner, please click the following link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

Got my player a few days ago. I finally had a chance to hook it up. Unfortunately I got “copy protected signals cannot be outputted to the connected equipment” when I attached it to my tv via HDMI. I’m hoping it’s just a bad HDMI cable.

The player came with a downlevel version of the firmware; there’s a newer version - BD9080400 - on the Pioneer website for the 120 & 121.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/BDP-120/BDP_120_BP9080400.zip

Got mine a few days ago and I am THRILLED!

I’m hesitant to upgrade the firmware since I have no problems with my current player.