Pioneer

Limit 3 purchases? I would buy 4 to make a nice set, but…

Is the Subwoofer wireless?

Anyone confirm if these are sold As Each or in pairs?

I am not 100% sure but pretty sure these are singles. the reason I know is I have been watching these awhile now. When they come in pairs, they will state it other wise consider everything as singles.

When it comes to speakers, 99% of the time sellers will accurately specify whether it’s a speaker (singular) or pair of speakers (plural).

In this case, Woot specifically states under the ‘In the box’ section “speaker”, indicating it is a single speaker.

I bought two of these from Best Buy a few months back on major clearance, I think they were around the same price, if not a little cheaper. The sound is decent, but I prefer to change my Treble a little higher than most, and even with the minimal setting changes this one offered, I wasn’t too excited about it. I gave it to my parents though as they needed a Blu-Ray player, and it will definitely improve sound over the TV speakers.

This is Pioneer’s ‘Sound Wing’ and it is meant to face upward. The sound bar (wing) and the subwoofer are both wired – which is kind of a pain, but you kinda get what you pay for. In theory it sounds (pun intended) like this would be a great concept for a new kind of sound bar, but it’s really not that special. Here’s the Pioneer link for some more quick information:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Home-Theater-Systems/HTZ-BD91HW

Overall, I wasn’t too excited about it. But if you’re looking for a handy little all-in-one with soundbar and Blu-Ray player for not a crazy amount of money, then give it a try.

Does anyone have any experience with the HTZ-BD81HF? I can’t find a single review online, which is weird. It would be a perfect fit for our bedroom and 50" plasma, but I won’t bite if it sounds like crap or won’t last.

Is that supposed to say ‘pinoeer’ on the front page?

To answer the “What size is Legit?” question: Distance to display = 1.5x width of display (THX standard for hi-def}.

IMHO, “legit” home theater is minimally a 120" projection, with some dim-able lighting hidden behind the crown molding so as not to create glare, and 7.1 surround.

Yeah, what genius limited it to three?!! I need four for my ceiling and really wanted these, but I’m not going fishing for a fourth.

I love spotting all the different ways you find to spell “Pioneer”. It’s like one of those puzzles they used to run in Highlights for Children magazine.

It used to be a staple in all the doctor offices, but I haven’t seen a copy in a long time.

The ceiling is a bad place to put speakers - really screws up the spatial imaging. The best place for speakers is the ear level of the listeners. So 5 of these in-wall 3-ways would be awesome in a surround setup. Put the center just above the TV.

I’ve had speakers in my ceiling for about 7 years. They are pretty cheap models with aimable tweaters. I have an older Sony high end amp that pushes them (I want to say it’s got 700 or so watts)

A) no one notices the speakers until they are pointed out.
B) no one has complained about the sound. They rock. Tons of bass even and I don’t have even have a sub. My Wife jokes about how we were ‘under attack again last night’ if I watch a good action film.

In short, unless you have some sort of super sensitive ear issue you probably won’t notice the sound difference between ceiling, wall, or whatever after initial setup is done.

The issue isn’t how loud the speakers is - it’s how good a job they can do imaging the scene of a Dolby Digital movie. The center speaker should be near your TV so that the voices are coming from where the picture is. And if those rear surrounds are above your head, your ears can figure out that everything that’s supposed to be happening behind you is actually happening above you. It’s not the same, and it doesn’t do justice to the source material. Put the speakers where you must for convenience, but acknowledge and accept what you are giving up in terms of the movie watching experience.

After hours of research & absolutely zero Reviews found online, I’ll be the first sucker to by this HTZ-BD91HW. My other option was a Yamaha YHT-494BL plus a Blu-ray. We’ll see how the Pioneer does.

Here is a review for the 8" in wall speaker:

These are in fact, SINGLE speaker purchases.

If there is ever a question, please read the specifications tab. This item is listed as a speaker (singular).

Not to be rude, I apologize. But a little reading goes a long way.

There is nothing “wrong” with using in-ceiling speakers for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound (or in your case 5.0 surround sound), but that is not to say that unless you have “super sensitive ear issue[s]” you could not tell the difference between an in-ceiling system, an in-wall system or a traditional box speaker system. The fact is any person can hear the difference between these, and there are certain configurations that are more preferable to others. I often (as a custom a/v installer) will use in-ceiling speakers for rear and side channels, and if the space allows it, I always use in-wall or box speakers for the front 3 channels because it simply sounds better, every time.

As for “tons of bass even and I don’t have a sub,” you have no idea how much better your speaker system would sound with a proper subwoofer. There are very few in-ceiling speakers that are capable of producing the frequency range covered by the .1 channel, and I guarantee there is a substantial portion of the low-end frequency range you are missing (from 20Hz up to at least 120Hz) because your in-ceiling speakers simply cannot reproduce those frequencies. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with your setup, but physics simply dictates that in-ceiling speakers (exceptions would be James Loudspeaker 63SA-7s, but even then, they can only do so much without the size and amplification that a subwoofer provides) are not capable of reproducing these frequencies.

Perhaps no one has “complained” about the sound because A) your friends are nice; B) your friends do not care; and/or C) your friends do not know any better. Do yourself a favor: buy a subwoofer, and buy a very nice subwoofer. Expect to spend at least $500. Anything is better than nothing, but a cheap subwoofer will sound sloppy. Sure, you’ll hear more bass, and sure, maybe no one will complain, but again, you and your wife will be able to tell the difference between good bass and bad bass. When you start spending tens of thousands of dollars, the difference in quality between Speaker A that costs $5,000 and Speaker B that costs $5,500 starts to diminish significantly, but the difference between $100 and $1000 is easily distinguishable by any layperson.

Also, as far as sound quality is concerned, the amount of amplification is not as important as one might think. A 700-Watt Sony receiver is still a Sony receiver. I would much rather have a 50W/CH NAD Receiver with a toroidal transformer than a 100W/CH Sony Receiver with a digital transformer. The amount of power a receiver has does not determine the quality of sound (it is one factor of course), but rather the quality of that power and how much of that power it can sustain (most amplification measurements for Sony and other manufacturers is peak power over one second rather than sustained power, a measurement referred to as RMS - [R]oot [M]ean [S]quare).

Anyways, the point is there are quality differences that even for reasonable sums of money any person can appreciate these differences, and if you are able to, only use in-ceiling speakers for rear channels, which for movies are used primarily for ambiance and special effects, whereas dialogue and music are projected from the front three channels (especially the center), and as such, should be as close to ear level as possible, and pointed towards you rather than pointed towards the floor. A moveable tweeter is great, but an in-ceiling speaker also includes a woofer that is pointed directly at the ground and not your ears. Personally, the most important speaker is my center channel (where ~70% of the sound in a movie is directed), followed by my subwoofer (which can make a small front speaker sound three times as big), then my front left and right, and finally my rear and side channels. Forget spending money on cables, just use 14 or 12-gauge speaker wire, and buy a decent receiver based on how it sounds and not how much power it has.

No matter what you do, you are the one who is listening to your sound system, and as long as you enjoy it, who cares what I or anyone else thinks. I am only pointing these things out so that you get the most enjoyment out of it!

Oh, and never buy Bose. For the amount of money you spend on a Bose system, you could have a phenomenal surround sound system that would put any Bose system to shame, and you’d have money left over for your house payment.