Planar High Definition Home Theater Projector

we have Planar LCDs at work and they’re actually rather nice

Projector Central data page with 1 user review:

might as well buy two just for the extra bulb

i wonder if ppl could make a carpload off buying these here and selling on ebay, or if there’s just nobody out there who wants em

Is this enough lumens to use in a light room? I have no idea about these projectors…

Also, will it work okay to play Call of Duty 4 on? And any other game?
What is the refresh rate like?

PLEASE HELP!

I will make an acception–to your spelling! It’s “exception” for future reference. I’m guessing you’re ESL since you want it shipped internationally. I pardon you… This time!

This projector has price.

Does anyone know what the “Maximum” final viewing size is for this?

Meaning, is it comparable to a 65" wide screen TV? or larger?

I don’t own this model, but the Optoma DV10 I bought about 2.5 years ago is definitely one of the best purchases I’ve made. If you have the means (and like others have said, at 900lumens you’ll really want a dark space to use this), a properly set up projector theater is waaay more fun than a flat screen.

We have movie nights all the time, and people never cease to exclaim how fun the whole thing is, even with an old (WVGA) projector.

Whether or not this is a good deal, I can’t say. But projectors in general? they rock.

Just to show that lesser Planar projectors are going for much much more than this, thats all

I’ve been waiting for a projector to come up for a long time now that I’m kinda in the market for one. This one looks great but the 900 lumens bothers me. How bad is 900 really? My screen will probably be 70-80" in a small room with two windows which have crappy shades on them. Anyone have experience with a 900 lumen projector? Contrast ratio is high so doesn’t that make more of a difference anyway? HELP!

WHAT THIS PERSON SAID DAMNIT

NO- 900 lumens is not a whole lot when spread out over a 10, 90, 100inch diagonal screen. You’d likely be unhappy with the results if you tried to use it in a “light” room (well lit room).

Can you just stop bragging about having TWO windows?

900 lumens sounds a bit scary. my panasonic ptax200u with 2000 lumens is visible, but annoyingly so in daylight. i imaging you’d have to make your room as dark as possible using this.

That is often the case with projectors, especially when you factor in the value of a used projector (which yours will be when the bulb needs to be replaced) vs. the cost of a new bulb. Hey, you could always buy two of these and rob the bulb from the second for future use and sell the bulbless unit on ebay for a rebate.

I have a 1100 Lumen projector and it needs a pitch black room to look good, although I have to say this one would look awesome with a pitch black room with that darkchip DLP technology.

You should just buy some heavy shades.

Any reason why you can’t score a set of decently priced curtains/shades from a home improvement store when you are already prepared to spend over a thousand (safe assumption with projector, screen, and sound system) on a home entertainment center?

Just pop the sucker open and take off a resistor or two. That oughta get those lumens up to a respectable level.

with dlp and projectors in general, the darker the better. I had an Infocus SP4805 and it was pretty bright but I still found I liked the room pretty dark. Just get some decent black out shades and you are good to go…

Other things to consider are the color of the walls in the room. Ideally, you want dark walls because the light from the projected image on the screen can actually reflect off white walls and affect the image.

The other poster is right about projectors. Having a projection screen even at only 84 inches makes you realize that flat panels and big screens are still just big screens in your living room. Projectors truly take you into the realm of home cinema…

The specs on this make it seem like an all around good buy. The MSRP places it around $4000, so can’t complain with how yet again WOOT! is giving us loot. The only other complaints I think could be made about it are the noise level and the lack of an HDMI connectivity. Still for the price I don’t think it’s worth complaining about. You can easily go buy a screen and some black out curtains with the money you save.

I would never put a projector in a room that wasn’t completely dark
you don’t see windows in a movie theatre
either duct tape those shades on, or pick a dark room