plugCam Home Network Camera Kit

**Item: **plugCam Home Network Camera Kit
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=plugCam Home Network Camera Kit)

[Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=plugCam Home Network Camera Kit)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/10/2012 - $78.99 (Woot-off) - 12 comment(s)

7/22/2013 - $72.99 (Woot Plus)
7/5/2013 - $72.99 (Woot Plus)
4/25/2013 - $76.00 (Woot Plus)
3/15/2013 - $79.00 (Woot Plus)
2/19/2013 - $79.00 (Woot Plus)

Amazon has some excellent reviews

Get some more info on the Product Page

Nothing on the product page says anything about audio - either streaming or recording. Am I correct to then assume that this is for video monitoring only with no audio feed?

If you guys are interested in other brite-View accessories and items we also have a PLUS sale going on Tech tonight…

MOD EDIT: Link fixed. Thanx grampella :wink:

Outstanding reviews on Amazon, though there are only 5 of them.

ROGETRAY, interested in the accessories, but I can’t get your link to work. I get the “Yikes there’s been a server error” message

eta: aha, I got there by going here: http://tech.woot.com/plus/other-brite-view-stuff-1

I purchased 3 of these on the last woot sale and they are pretty descent cameras. Frame rate drops the farther it is away from the maid unit plugged into the router. But I can monitor my kids, my house and even where my cat is. The night vision is pretty good out to about 25 feet. And yes there is no audio. But you can set it to record video my motion when you are away from home.

better for the NSA to monitor you remotely

No motorized pan, so setup is point and pivot the view you want. Video motions would be poor judging from specs frame rate unless a using a small image. But would that image be decent for viewing on a smartphone?

Can I buy three and just use one base ?.. That doesn’t seem clear to me…amazon has add-on camera for twice price…

Experienced with both iOS and Android:

Pros -
Small
$50 good price
Setup - fairly simple

Cons -
No motorized tilt or pan (why advertise this when you can twist the cam anyway?)
Field of view is NOT 78*, more like 40* L-R and 60* U-D
No audio
No recording
Like all PL devices must be plugged into a “clean” outlet without a light switch, power strip, UPS, same power circuit as camera, etc.
No pass-through outlet so your one clean outlet is used and done.
Low frame rate
Indoor use only
Must have advanced router skills to view on a smart device outside your internal Wi-Fi (to set proper ports open and port forwarding) To be fair this is being marketed as in HOME monitoring only.
Most cell carriers block ports with streaming video.
Open ports on your network increases security holes.
Must have a Wi-Fi router
Easily hacked into

Is that this one? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57598385/baby-monitor-hacked-spies-on-texas-child/

So I could get 2 of these for the price of 1 + add-on camera. Could I just set aside the adapter from this kit for later if I need to, and the camera will work with the other’s adapter?

Seems that the problem wasn’t the device but the home network. From the article you linked:

Parents can protect their homes by setting a strong password. Chronister recommends using Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) to set up a password because it uses better encryption standards and is very difficult to crack, especially combined with a good password.

Their website says that with their software and a PC, you can set up recording. So it does not have standalone recording, but it is capable of recording with additional setup.

It says Smartphone, iOS Android, etc.
How about my iPad? Can I use that?

As the iPad is an iOS device, the answer would be yes. It would probably work on the home network, but would require either 4G connectivity or a WiFi network, and additional setting up to view away from your home.

Does not seem to have tilt and pan, you can manipulate it by hand, but not remotely with software.

There do not seem to be instructions as to how to set up port forwarding so as to view the camera remotely. So it might work as a baby cam, but not much more.