Plutonium: Powers This Shirt

Am I the only one who, whenever there’s a white shirt on woot, thinks “All right, another white shirt” and immediately considers buying it just because of the color? I guess I just don’t like the colored shirts, since I’ve only bought one that wasn’t white, cream, black, asphalt, or grey.

As promised, I ordered my one medium amazing shirt.

Love the orange.

They usually put it at the top of the write-up. For example, on yesterday’s shirt:

“2nd place in Derby #56: Your Favorite Element, with 594 votes!”

you were promised nothing. shirtderbystats is just an estimate. are you going to start whining again because you didn’t get the shirt you wanted? please dont… it’s so unbecoming.

I want this on but I already got Friday’s shirt, too bad I’m cheap

Awesome shirt, would totally be in for one if I hadn’t gotten the Tin man one yesterday. Gratz.

Check out Tee-jones in about 60 days… :slight_smile:

Likewise, but perhaps I can pen in a “Pu” in a washable, correct-color pen or something. I went ahead & nabbed one, but I’ve got to admit that it isn’t very representational. Kind of neat fractal-key things, though.

hahaha nope you are definitely not the only one. I really like white shirts, they just seem more clean or something to me. They go with more stuff. Anyway really happy this got printed, the orange is awesome!

really? i loved the placement on the other tin man. i figured it was just because 2 tin men in the fog made people push for one over the other. and, honestly, how could they pull off printing 2 tinmen in a row even if this one hadn’t beat it out?

I"m thinking its a conspiracy!! !

Thanks everybody! I’m so excited I don’t even know what to type!:slight_smile: I’m not sure I even want to know what the vote count was. Patchitect’s was so good, I was secretly hoping for a tie. All I can say is, no student loan this semester, wooo-hooo!

its ok, you can have mine :slight_smile:

Sorry, here’s the write-up I did for the entry. I would’ve PM’ed it, but just in case anybody else was curious…

"Thought this was pretty interesting…

From Wikipedia:
“In both film and television shows, such as The Simpsons, plutonium is often illustrated as a bright green luminous substance similar to Uranium glass, or sometimes in liquid form. However, elemental plutonium does not glow unless there is a significant amount of it decaying and emitting blackbody radiation, and even then the glow is bright orange rather than green.”

I thought this would be a pretty cool idea. It’s supposed to be an atom of plutonium being used inside your chest for energy under a see-through enclosure. Little tubes branch off dispersing energy with wires/circuits to add some detail.

For the science people: There aren’t the correct amount of protons and electrons (94), but there are the correct number of energy levels (7). I thought I’d take some artistic license and leave out a lot of them because…well, 94 electrons and protons is sort of a lot to deal with and would make everything WAY too cluttered.

I decided to stick with a white shirt because the glare on the top left of the main ball is actually the shirt color. I may submit it on a different color if I get enough feedback to justify the changes.

Here’s some more info on the element via chemicalelements.com:

Name: Plutonium
Symbol: Pu
Atomic Number: 94
Atomic Mass: (244.0) amu
Melting Point: 639.5 °C (912.65 K, 1183.1 °F)
Boiling Point: 3235.0 °C (3508.15 K, 5855.0 °F)
Number of Protons/Electrons: 94
Number of Neutrons: 150
Classification: Rare Earth
Date of Discovery: 1940
Discoverer: G.T. Seaborg
Name Origin: After the planet Pluto
Uses: bombs, nuclear reactors
Obtained From: some uranium ores, man-made"

Congrats man!!! Glad to see some good design in this derby, and well researched as well… looking forward to more of your work in the coming derbies. Enjoy the win!

This is the real reason why we have a fog - not because people tried to force ties, but so Woot can mess with the vote counts and we will never ever know. :wink:

now that’s way cool : ) big congrats

::COUGH::racist::COUGH:: :slight_smile:

Damn, why have they had so many great designs crammed into this past week? It seems they went for months with those godawful ugly designs, then this week, just about every day has been one I would buy.

(WOULD buy, if I hadn’t bought “F5 Refreshes You” last weekend)

No, that’s part of the write-up spoof.

Plutonium-239 is the isotope of that element that is chiefly used for nuclear weapons (along with some use in reactors).