Polaroid 7'' or 8" Android Tablet

Most do not have Google Play

and there’s the dealbeaker.

If I buy this for my tech-impaired parents (they don’t have ANY experience with tech beyond texting from an ancient Nokia type cell phone, and the hunt and peck kind of typing, no email experience, etc), can I load it up with games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Tetris and such WITHOUT it needing to be connected to wifi after the initial setup and downloading?? They do not have any sort of internet capabilities, even if they were to travel to town or something. Someone I asked about this said the tablet software, as well as the games, require at the very least intermittent wifi connection. Anyone know anything about this?

I bought one for the sole purpose of running time tracking software at my office so I don’t have to keep going back and forth between screens on my computer. I’ve seen the mixed reviews on Amazon and elsewhere but think its perfect for my use case. I have an iPad for all the other stuff (currently writing this comment from it) and I don’t really expect it to even get close to comparing, but think this will work great as a single-purpose machine.

picked up a 7" gingerbread model (no camera) awhile back, was rooted out of box.

curious about polaroids ? here a link to a forum dedicated to polaroid tablets: Forums - FreakTab

i have installed google play and it works ok, but it’s an older version.

this tablet is what it is for the $. the gyro is a bit off or non existant for some escape game levels. install grooveIP eg and use it as a phone.

I picked up a new 8" one from Kohl’s last Thanksgiving, although at a much lower net price ($102 - $15 Discovercard cashback - $30 rebate = $57 - $15 Kohl’s cash earned on the purchase).

It’s pretty okay. It feels like a “real” tablet to me (not a toy), and has all the basic functions. Right now, I’m using it as a digital radio for my Mom, who is bed bound and likes to listen to talk radio at night (otherwise, she insists on listening to a transistor radio that is 90% static). With the tablet, she can listen to her stations streaming over the internet, so the sound is crystal clear.

The Amazon Appstore is fine, but it’s definitely a drawback that the Play store is not accessible out of the box (I haven’t tried to run the program to install an older version of it). Also, it seems that the Appstore app has some problems, so that I have to reinstall it whenever I install a new app (at least that was the case when I last installed an app, which was a while ago). Not a big deal, but a bit of an annoyance. It’s frustrating, too, that when I purchase an app for my phone from Google Play, I can’t install it on the tablet unless I want to pay for it again through the Appstore.

Still, it was a good purchase for me. In part, I just wanted to figure out if I would use a tablet, but without the risk of investing in something much pricier at the outset (turns out I don’t use it much – especially since getting a smartphone). If you want an inexpensive tablet option for surfing the web, checking email, reading e-books, listening to the radio, and that sort of thing, this tablet is a reasonable option.

Here is the support site for all the Polaroid Tablets.

http://www.southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/

Unless money is extremely tight, I strongly recommend just going to Barnes & Noble and picking up a Nook; they are $129 (or $149 for the 9") new. The stock OS is pretty decent (and you can read for free in a B&N), and it’s trivial to dual-boot them to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 (without overwriting the Nook OS). The Nooks aren’t superstar tablets, but they’re very, very nice for that price and pretty much run everything (no camera or GPS, though, but they do have microSD slots). They come with the Play Store, you can install the Kindle app, etc.

I understand there are those for whom the extra $70 is a lot, and I completely get that, but I think it’s generally a lot better to spend $129 on a usable tablet than $60 on a refurb lower-tier one.

Here I am, brain the size of a planet and you want Netflix?

or,

Oh no, not again!

suspicious that the camera has not megapixels spec. or is it video only???

This would not make it a deal breaker for me. The nextbook tablets are underrated and you can get the Amazon Marketplace on it to get the better apps. I don’t understand why when google sells android to these smaller tablet makers, they don’t allow access to Google Play.

My daughter’s birthday is coming up. At first, I was excited by a low-priced tablet. However, I think I’d rather spend more and get better quality. I figure that if I wouldn’t want to use it, why would I give it to someone else.

When you take a picture, do you have to flip the tablet over and wait for it to develop?

I purchased three back at Christmas for my kids, none of them work today. They will not take a charge.

My mom has one. Garbage. Complete waste of money.

I own both the 7" and 10" versions of this tablet. I bought mine at Big Lots when they were on sale.

Neither one is a powerhouse, and you do have to do some extra work to get Google Play on them. However, they work fine for what they are, and for a low end device for basic web surfing or ereading they are adequate.

I also purchased the keyboard cases from Amazon for both of them, and that worked very well.

I wouldn’t say I loved either one, but they do function well on a basic level, and would not classify either one as “crap”. Just don’t try and make it do more than it was designed for.

Since then, I now own an ASUS Transformer Infinity (purchased on WOOT), and the Polaroids sit in the box as back up devices if I need them.

Yea, but most people shake it.

This Polaroid is just a little bit better than hemmorhoid.

I think Southern Telecom sells the tablet but they are (were) manufactured in China.

http://www.southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport.html

Thanks for the link. It is a much better tablet…just the kind of cheap tablet I was looking for.

Don’t do it. You want to spend $70 on a tablet,buy a used Nook Tablet http://www.cowboom.com/product/1056950

This is a good piece of hardware unlike this POS Polaroid.

Here is some information on Jelly Bean & rooting it: http://raywaldo.com/2012/09/root-for-nook-tablet-1-4-3/

If you want an easy way to make this into a Jellybean tablet (and don’t want to root and flash a rom) and have a spare SD card, this works well: https://www.n2acards.com/

You buy this polaroid, all it will do is give you a poor experience with Android. I have bought 2 of these tablets from Cowboom and have had great luck with both. Your on your own buying the adapter. I have used the standard USB micro adapters- it just takes longer to charge using these