Polaroid 9’’ Portable DVD with TV Docking Station

Remember guys, Polaroid isn’t the company you knew many years ago. They declared bankruptcy, someone else bought the trademark name, and is slapping it on products. This can be found with a quick internet search, or even Wikipedia.
I don’t know what that means for this particular product, but buyer beware.

Just a note that the minimum price of $78 doesn’t include the docking station. You have to pay $149.95 to get apples for apples with woot.

I don’t know about this one, but I have an older Polaroid 8" portable DVD player.

It works ok, but it is slightly bulky, and the screen resolution is not that great.

Easily one can purchase an outdated laptop/notebook for 200 USD. Lil’ memory, tiny hdd, DVD drive. Load knoppix and a few other codecs. Bang 14-15 inch portable dvd/svcd/vcd/divx/ect player :wink:

But if you do not have the know how or want to waste time. Researching this IS a deal.

It’s ok. Your question has been immortalized in tonight’s “Quality Posts” section. Just like my idiotic typo last night.

But it’s enough to get through most movies. Just not quite all of them.

I vaguely remember selling these at my former retail job. They’re not bad.

the suite life isn’t too bad of a show :wink: kim possible rocks though!

Show me an outdated laptop that will play a DVD for 3 hours on a full charge…

I got a 10" Polaroid from Wal-Mart last year and like most have said and will say, they motor that spins the disk went out. The picture was nice though. DO NOT buy this because you recognize the name. That Polaroid name means jack squat! Polaroid went bankrupt a long time ago and the name keeps getting thrown on all sorts of junk. Seems like a good price if it stays working. Would be nice if it had some sort of case to hang it on a headrest though.

The minimum $78 price on froogle is actually a 7", not a 9", doesnt include the TV dock thing and the guy charges $15 shipping

hacking is BAD!
modification is good :wink:

As always try google, or perhaps astalavista

Now add on an external USB TV tuner to make up for the docking station. And a splitter for the headphones. And a tablet PC so you can have a swivel screen (Ok, we could leave that one out. Just rotate the laptop).

But still. For the number of features, like you said this isn’t a bad price. Let’s just hope it sells out so we don’t have a repeat of the Audiovox DVD player that put a nice hiatus on the last woot-off just long enough for me to miss 3 BOC’s on my drive home from work.

is it just me or does that remote look like it’s from the '70s?

portable dvd players are pretty expensive in general.

I bought mine on BF for 30, so i’m happy.

the Woot Side Deal says:
WOOT Specials - Archos 30GB Video/MP3 Recorder, iPod 30GB, Epson ONLY $24.95! B&H PHOTO

When u click thru to the B&H Photo link, it says it is 249.95

Can I buy one for $24.95 please?

Methinks Woot is slipping decimal points after that luncheon martini…<grin>

LMAO IF you own it, IT IS outdated. As with all technology. Seriously try an older IBM heck a 350Mhz run powerdvd. Kill out the usb/pcmcia slots.

good point…but i believe he was just talking about battery life

My point is, while you may gain other features by using a laptop, the power consumption of an OS will leave you hanging on your DVD. You might gain codex and a larger screen, but you better be watching some 30 minute Elmo DVDs.

I do think some of the older Toshiba laptops allowed you to play DVDs and CDs without actually booting the computer, although I could be wrong on this.

“Seems like a fair price, But I really am not sure why someone would shell out an extra 50-75 USD for a notebook ? Any ideas?”

If you are asking why someone would buy this instead of a notebook: $130+70 = $200. You can barely get a PDA for $200. A computer requires maintenance, virus scans, updates, blah blab blah. Basically you are buying a portable screen to watch canned TV streams. If you need more buy more. I suspect that similar batteries last longer in this thing than a pc as this thing does not have to propel as many services as a computer. CPU+HDs suck in a lot of juice, and spit out a lot heat that requires a cooling fan, which also sucks in a lot of juice, to remove.

Based on the speed to first woot, I can conclude that 19 of these puppies have sold thus far. Or possibly 38. But I would lean more towards 19.

WAAAAAAAAAAAY faster than the inflatable screen!