Polaroid AMA-1850P Rotator HDTV Antenna

What CTA Color Zone is this device rated for?
Can coax cable longer than 50’ be used, or is that the limit of power supply to the rotating unit?

Owner’s manual does not give much information about the setup. One user mentioned a 110v plug as being flimsy, but the owner’s manual doesn’t even mention the power source for the rotor (HAS to have power for a motor).
See manual at: https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/12485b59-d55e-4d6e-bc86-7503a1f62588.pdf

As with ANY tv antenna, its all about location, location, location.

I bought this back when it was offered a few months ago. The ONE coaxial cable attached to the antenna connects to the signal booster/rotation control box, which has a 110v plug. You then connect your tv (or TiVo Roamio OTA in my case) to the control box.

1. The booster works great! Turning it off kills a few channels.
  2. The rotation control is a single button, the antenna will rotate 360 clockwise, then counterclockwise if you keep holding the button. Power/control signal for rotation is carried by the same coaxial cable that brings down the dtv signal.

Does this have the ability to attach to a roof mount?

I bought one of these things a while back and quickly discovered the big problem compared to the older style antennas with the old turn knobs. You don’t know where this thing is pointed at unless you place it in the same room as the TV.
I put mine in the attic figuring higher up would get better reception as we’re in a valley. Had to play with the button constantly when changing channels, and hope I was able to hone in on the right direction. I threw it out and got an omni-directional antenna instead. It’s in my attic and works much, much better.
You get what you pay for. Don’t pay for this unless you’re mounting it on top of your TV.

Did you check to see what zone you are in yet? www.antennaweb.org

I have a device similar to this is rated at 150 miles for all bands (walmart for 35 bucks). The above website will use your zip code to give you what stations are in what color band. Though my antenna was rated for all colors and for 150miles, I understood that that rating is like Midlands and Cobras OVERrated 35 mile radios. My antenna is 20 ft off the ground and inside the house. I get 30 of the 52 channels in my area that are WATCHABLE. Note the word WATCHABLE. Digital signals are unforgiving. Either you get it or you don’t. When you don’t, it’s like trying to watch sat tv on a ship that rolling 20-30degrees either side and the gyro can’t keep up LOL. Channel/signal loss. Without the amp that comes with this antenna, you loose about half your sensitivity. I have found the little “blade” looking antenna offered here works just as well for my area and it’s more omni-directional then the others. If I had to rate this antenna, I would give it a 3 color rating with channels inside a 20 mile zone. I live close to Canada and if I point it the right way, I can get another set of channels, but loose others. Thinking of moving it to the attic to get another 10 or so miles out of the thing. If you do not select the 30 foot height setting on the webpage, you will see more REAL LIFE reception results.

Here’s an example:
Detroit channel color code with antenna 30 foot above ground

Here’s a break down of what each color means.
Channel color code def.

I bought this one that looks like a ray gun last time. It’s great. My house is in a hollow, so our line of sight to the TV transmitters in our town is poor, but this baby picks up the signals no problem. Totally worth $25.

I have two of these type antennas, both some no name brand, and I receive the same channels at the same quality with and without the antenna connected. The rotation does not work on either and they are both very flimsy.

Mine are not the exact same thing as these, but just the same style.

It’s incredibly misleading to call these HD antennas. I understand it’s the official product name, but there inherently is no difference between an HD antenna and a typical/old antenna. Frequencies are frequencies; the antenna does not distinguish to interpret any of the television transmissions. Whatever the antenna is plugged into determines whether it will be interpreted as HD or not.

I imagine some people shopping might get worried if they need a new antenna and want to ensure it supports HD; but labeling it an “HD Antenna” will lead to someone replacing a perfectly good antenna for no good reason. Now, the new antenna might be more efficient, better design, etc and that’s a good reason to buy it; but when I used to work retail Circuit Chitty back in the day, the HD label resulted in MANY people buying new antennas.

Reminds me of this old chart

http://i.imgur.com/KkNhXCp.jpg

Mostly true but people need to make sure they connect the correct antenna element (UHF for channels in the 2-13 range, 14+ for VHF)

These antennas are “marketed” for HDTV because no one advertises “analog” any more so “digital” sounds better. Hey, look at cell phone companies. They say they have “digital quality voice” and people thing they are getting WAY better voice quality when in fact, analog sounds better. Just takes more power to push it.

No; I feel like I need to drive this point home: I’m not just mostly true; it’s all fact.

I’m okay with marketing. Go nuts; call it super, extra special, or bonanza-spectacular. Describing a product with HD is not the same as that, it’s very specific and misleading. Might even get someone to buy the “HD antenna” instead of just a normal “plain, non-HD antenna”

As for VHF/UHF, it’s the opposite, VHF is the bottom, UHF is the upper. And what modern antenna doesn’t have both? UHF for television in the US has been around since 1962. It’s like ensuring you have power wired to your television.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_frequency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_frequency

You are 100% true, the previous commenter and even the marketing for these things (“In the old days, if you wanted to watch TV you’d use an antenna. These days, if you want HDTV, you use an HDTV antenna.”) is totally wrong. There is zero difference. Any antenna made for a TV in the last 30+ years is also going to be an HD antenna. Even suggesting otherwise is just marketing bullshit. That’s like HDMI cables with “antivirus protection”. It’s nothing.

I have one of these and it is junk, Amazon has a 19 buck real outdoor antenna and it far out performs this gimmick. I have a signal strength meter that I can attach at the antenna. Alos the cable that came with it was junk, and the amplifier, junk. Connected a channel master amp to get a few more DB’S. and high winds will turn it. Good luck finding where it was.

the name HD TV antenna is bogus, Any UHF and VHF will receive an HD signal. I have a old RCA rabbit ear telescoping antenna I can use for when the power goes out. The antenna picks up every station in my area

Thanks for chiming in guys. I know Woot/Amazon is just duplicating the name given by the manufacturer; however I think the bar should be set higher by them and it should be filtered out. It’s just like the situation where Samsung LED-backlit LCD televisions being marketed as Samsung LED televisions in the USA and not allowed to be called just an “LED television” in the UK. Apparently they got around it by further “clarifying” to the customer what an LED TV is. Bleh

Sorry, best source is CNET that actually updated the article over time.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-led-tv-ads-called-misleading-by-u-k-authority/

Quick question – is the front element supposed to be pointed forward or pulled back like all the others? I ask because my identical ClearView antenna has it pulled back. I don’t want to pull out the ladder and mess up the orientation unless it will make a real difference.