Pomo Nation Zinfandel (4)

What famous Hollywood star listed Everett Ridge as one of her favorite wineries in last Friday’s Vanity Fair on line?

I agree. I am a little surprised at this, though not terribly disappointed since I still have 3 bottles left from last year’s offering which I need to drink up soon. Nice seeing you back around here, haven’t seen your name in the discussions in awhile.

I might guess the point of listing the winemaker is to show that the quality of the winemaker is great. That coupled with the arguably the best growing area for Zinfandel in one of the best vintages (2007) takes alot of risk out of enjoying this Woot!

Sake is great, I will look for the next Sake offering even if they don’t devote a whole Woot! to it…

Everett Ridge Winery in the Dry Creek Valley of Sonoma made the various wines of the Pomo Nation.

Yep. I wonder if there’s a word for this font-related error in words like this and ‘CLINT’.

Steve?

Saw one or two tasting notes above. A few more will be helpful… sitting on the fence.

The point is self explanatory.

While I might be familiar with many winemakers, many growing areas and many vintages, that is not a guarantee that I will like the wine offered. As you indicate, all of the stars should have lined up for this one. I recently tried this wine and shared it with five of my wine drinking friends. We tried it PnP and waited an hour to try it again. The concensus was that it was too peppery for our tastes, the fruit flavors never developed over the course of an hour and we would not buy this again. (Just being honest.) So, try it, you might like it. We all have different tastes and preferences. There is no good wine or bad wine. It’s whatever you like.

I got four of these back in March from another popular internet wine e-tailer for $59.96 delivered. I unfortunately don’t have any detailed notes, but here’s what I remember:

Pop and pour gives a lot of brambly spiciness that many zins showcase. This overwhelms the fruit at first, so decanting or pouring a glass to sit while bbq’ing is recommended. This wine is definitely better with food than as a stand alone beverage.

Once it has opened up, it tasted like a nice Dry Creek zin should. Lots of black fruit, and a good dose of spiciness that has toned down from the first pop and pour sip. Perhaps not as juicy as some Papapietro zins I’ve had, and not as austere as the Teldeschi zins I’ve tried.

This wine shows no signs of being over the hill. I am no expert on drinking windows, but do have experience with some zinfandels not lasting long while others seem to get much better with 5-8 years in the cellar. I’d guess you could easily cellar this Pomo Nation for a few more years, but it’s drinking great right now if you give it half an hour or so to open up.

This wine was a good deal at $15/btl and being a zinfandel fan, who drank up his last four bottles of this stuff, I’m strongly considering this offer at $18.75/btl.

I think it was the “CEO” at Dry Creek Vineyards who talked to us (on the newbie rpm tour) about describing wine in whatever terms you’re comfortable with, i.e. if you really like jazz music you might say that one wine is like Duke Ellington while another wine is more like Miles Davis.

Playing off that idea, I would say that some wines are like pop songs - instantly likeable and approachable with their easy drinking qualities. Other wines may require additional time and effort but will invariably be appreciated that much more in the end. This may be one of those wines. Think Radiohead vs. Nickleback or Genesis with Peter Gabriel vs. Genesis with Phil Collins.

Wait… what are you saying about Nickelback?

Same question. I interpret that as saying Nickelback is something that you will inevitably appreciate more with time…

Let’s just say, for the sake of our friendship, I hope I am reading this incorrectly.

I have always thought that describing coffee in terms of bass, treble and mid-range was one of the best ways to describe coffee. You can easily do the same for wine.

Thread hijack (I looked on the boards but didn’t see anything) - any thoughts on Amazon starting to sell wine on their site? Will that affect WW? I don’t like the sound of it…

Deals is chatting about it if you want to join a thread in progress about the topic.

There is definitely bad wine.

My 2 cents on this one; I agree with the above comments on dark fruit, brambly/spicy notes. That’s what I got and what piqued my interest on this wine (I’m not a fan of the overly-jammy zins and I enjoyed this one).

NOTE: No Nickelback was played at any time during the tasting of this wine.

I confess.